What Rye Are You Drinking? Autumn 2012

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Cold damp day today here in the Mitten and it is perfect for some Vintage Rye 23yo, neat.

I am amazed at the lack of wood in this rye, it is simi-sweet and spicey.

Back on it.

At 94prf I'd say it's a winner but I swear the barrel strength editions out there are walk on water types or should I say like bread/fish or water/wine?

Your call.

Having a nice pour of HW Rendezvous... I cant seem to get enough of this stuff!!

I totally agree. I had some neighbors over Friday night they were all hooked. Most didn't even know what a rye whiskey was.

Thanks to another member, last night some Overholt distilled in PA. Interesting stuff. Damn sure better than current Beam make. We had an engineer in here Friday working with us on a new still and he worked for Beam for a long time, and had some interesting thoughts on why all their stuff is not as good as it once was. This week, I plan to tap into 3 year old rye from our stocks.

Thanks to another member, last night some Overholt distilled in PA. Interesting stuff. Damn sure better than current Beam make. We had an engineer in here Friday working with us on a new still and he worked for Beam for a long time, and had some interesting thoughts on why all their stuff is not as good as it once was. This week, I plan to tap into 3 year old rye from our stocks.

What were his thoughts?

Technically Canadian sourced but received a bottle of Whistlepig from my wife for our anniversary last night.I have to admit I give kudos to her for her selection,I think I married the right woman some 13 years ago.

Finishing off the last couple pours of Knob Creek Rye...still considering if it is worth replacing or not... The wife is enjoying WT 101 Rye and reminding me that 3 bottles in the bunker might not be enough

James E. Pepper Rye..another LDI sourced rye but bottled at 50% ABV. Better than Bulleit Rye, and although I hate to say it, slightly better than either of the Willett Ryes I have had.

Some WT81 Rye (which I picked up not paying attention, as I thought it was 101 Rye). There isn't anything objectionable about it - just lacks "more". Think I'll keep this bottle around just to remind me how lovely my other ryes are :P

Some WT81 Rye (which I picked up not paying attention, as I thought it was 101 Rye). There isn't anything objectionable about it - just lacks "more". Think I'll keep this bottle around just to remind me how lovely my other ryes are :P

Unfortunately, I may never buy a WTR101 if I have the chance now (unless I can taste it at some upcoming Georgia meeting in the future???)

You definitely want to get a bottle of 101 if you can find one. It's no contest between the two, trust me.

:lol: At first I was like "WTF is THIS?!?!" but then I realized that I couldn't expect much from an 81 proof anything, and comparing to all of my other ryes would not be a fair comparison. After I got over the huge disappointment, I tried to focus on the flavor and thought "Well . . . it isn't BAD . . . it just isn't ENOUGH".

Unfortunately, I may never buy a WTR101 if I have the chance now (unless I can taste it at some upcoming Georgia meeting in the future???)

It's here! Stop on by! :D

:lol: At first I was like "WTF is THIS?!?!" but then I realized that I couldn't expect much from an 81 proof anything, and comparing to all of my other ryes would not be a fair comparison. After I got over the huge disappointment, I tried to focus on the flavor and thought "Well . . . it isn't BAD . . . it just isn't ENOUGH".

Of course it's fair! Why does WT get a pass on comparing its newest product to the other ryes out there? Seriously, what are you talking about? And why should you not expect much from an 81pf whiskey? Wouldn't you expect that a producer worth their salt should release a drinkable product that stacks up well against the competition?

Its comparison to its peers is a big part of why it sucks (apparently, I haven't tasted it myself). Then it sucks quadruply for replacing the nicely done, well priced WTR101.

Most everyone here prefers their whiskey at or above 86pf, but that's all the more reason to judge WT harshly for releasing a product so worthless to us. Then again, your notes suggest that the WTR81 isn't as bad as other comments I've seen.

Most everyone here prefers their whiskey at or above 86pf, but that's all the more reason to judge WT harshly for releasing a product so worthless to us. Then again, your notes suggest that the WTR81 isn't as bad as other comments I've seen.

Wouldn't you expect that a producer worth their salt should release a drinkable product that stacks up well against the competition?

Its comparison to its peers is a big part of why it sucks.

Well, it's peers are Jim Beam Rye, Old Overholt, Rittenhouse 80 proof, Pikesville and maybe Fleishmann's. How does it compare to those?

This is not meant to be a provocative question. I have no access to any of these Ryes. I'm honestly wondering, because I can't remember reading tons of great accolades for any of these brands.

Well, it's peers are Jim Beam Rye, Old Overholt, Rittenhouse 80 proof, Pikesville and maybe Fleishmann's. How does it compare to those?

This is not meant to be a provocative question. I have no access to any of these Ryes. I'm honestly wondering, because I can't remember reading tons of great accolades for any of these brands.

I'm not sure - I don't have any of those on-hand, although I may be able to pick up an airplane bottle of JBR. But I think you nailed it - every dram out there isn't meant to compete with every other dram. I think this WT81 is aimed at the market which prefers lower proof, smoother whiskey. Unfortunately, I'm not in that market - but like I said, I haven't dumped the bottle either. If an outfit like WT is producing it though, my guess is they've done some market research and believe there is a demand for it. Keep in mind - Jack Daniels and Jim Beam are the top two best selling American whiskeys, and I don't care much for either of those (I'd take #3 EWB anytime over those two). But that sort of reminds me that there is a huge market for what I would call "highly ordinary" whiskey.

Whistlepig after lunch today,wow this stuff is precariously drinkable to the point it may get me in trouble!It's so different from many of my other ryes, the 100% mashbill really seems to do it for me, I really enjoy the" prickly pear sweetness"in this rye

Willett "TPS Groundbreaker"high proof,4yr. this is vibrant and just a joy to drink for $32.

High West 21 followed by some Scotch. Now that Fall is here, I will ease up on the rye a bit and give the Islay whiskys some love.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!