What Rye Are You Drinking? Autumn 2012

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just killed another RITT BIB.

It's past time for me to start buying cases of the stuff..........

Cracked a bottle last night. I'm gonna get serious about cleaning off shelves when I see this for like 20 bucks. No reason to avoid drinking this as an "everyday-er"

Cracked a bottle last night. I'm gonna get serious about cleaning off shelves when I see this for like 20 bucks. No reason to avoid drinking this as an "everyday-er"

It's one of my everydays--having some right now. I started with some Baby Saz, down to the last pour or two of a very good bottle.

It's one of my everydays--having some right now. I started with some Baby Saz, down to the last pour or two of a very good bottle.
That's the spirit! A fantastic every day pour.

No disagreement on its drinkability but I can't help but pause more between purchases, at its current $23, and only 4 years ago could often be found on sale for $11. Here is a link to a blog post by Chuck back in 8/2009 about the price creep on Ritt BIB http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2009/08/how-much-do-i-love-rittenhouse-rye-bib.html

Point taken, but it's arguably better whiskey than, say, HH gold label BiB or Mellow Corn (both also everyday pours in my house), and definitely better than the current Fitz. But heaven only knows how fast it would disappear if if were under $15 a bottle.

No disagreement on its drinkability but I can't help but pause more between purchases, at its current $23, and only 4 years ago could often be found on sale for $11. Here is a link to a blog post by Chuck back in 8/2009 about the price creep on Ritt BIB http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2009/08/how-much-do-i-love-rittenhouse-rye-bib.html

They've maxed out the price as businesses often do, especially when there are shortages. Dsp 1 ritt should be right around the corner if they drop it at 4 years. My guess is there will be plenty around. But will it be any good?

"and only 4 years ago could often be found on sale for $11."

Four years ago a SB Member helped me out and procured 3 for me at that price. That was how it all got started between me and RITT. I have watched the price creep and have no problem with it at $20. How much more I will bear is a question I can't answer right now. If it sticks around $20 it will continue to be a staple.

I'm very fond of the $20 - $30 pricepoint. It nice just to drink and not think about price, makes it even more enjoyable in the long run.

I finally cracked a Willett 3yr that I bought back in January. I have had several 4&5yr Willett's and found them quite enjoyable. However, this one is thin and tastes young.

Some WT81 Rye (which I picked up not paying attention, as I thought it was 101 Rye). There isn't anything objectionable about it - just lacks "more". Think I'll keep this bottle around just to remind me how lovely my other ryes are :P

I'm still pickin the 81 rye apart. I've been comparing it to the Pikesville and Overholt ryes since they are all ~80pf and 3-5yo. This may sound strange, but it seems as if the WT 81 rye is not even 3 years old. It has such a young flavor that it seems like it's only 1-2 years old, though that's not possible since it is labeled as 4-5yo. I can't quite identify what makes it taste the way it does, but it must be the combination of barrel, age, and yeast that makes it taste so young and grainy. It's not like any of the other WT products that certainly come from a heavily charred barrel and have several years of good aging behind them. Maybe some day I'll come around to it. Until then, I'll nurse my 16 bottles of 101 rye......

Pikesville! Best (and cheapest) 80 proof rye on the market!

Spoken like someone who has never tried Fleischmann's Rye. $18.99 a handle.:grin:

Spoken like someone who has never tried Fleischmann's Rye. $18.99 a handle.:grin:

I'm still trying to figure out a way to get a case down here. I saw Fleischmann's brandy yesterday, and I may inquire. Or I may just have to load up the van again!

Never had the Fleischmann's Rye. If you look hard enough down in Maryland, you can get handles of Pikesville for the same price. What aged and proof is the Fleischmann's and who is the distiller? I don't know much about this rye.

Never had the Fleischmann's Rye. If you look hard enough down in Maryland, you can get handles of Pikesville for the same price. What aged and proof is the Fleischmann's and who is the distiller? I don't know much about this rye.

It's an NAS distilled by Barton and only shipped to northern WI. A strange arrangement, but a great, cheap Rye. I like Pikesville, but I do prefer Fleischmann's as it tastes a bit older. And it's 80, but it drinks like an 86.

Always good to find a bottle of Fleishmann's in the WI wild. Smooth, easy drinkin' and dirt cheap!

• 2 weeks later...

HW 16 and V 21

gotta give the nod to the HW tonight. A bit smoother and founder in the mouth, the V21 seemed to havea bit more wood astringency than what I remember.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!