What Rye Are You Drinking? Autumn 2012

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night I had a pour of HW Double Rye and followed that up with Ritt BiB. I preferred the HW to the Ritt, and it wasn't close.

This is only the second bottle of Ritt I have had; the first was fantastic, I got a lot of rum-like notes out of it. This current bottle of Ritt has a definite 'earthy' taste that I have only ever experienced in a bottle of Hancock's Presidential Reserve. It seriously tastes like fresh dirt. Has anyone else ever got that kind of taste out of Ritt? Did I just get an off bottle? I am hoping a little air and time in the bottle helps this one out.

First try of the CEHT Rye. Compared it to WhistlePig. Definitely different but nice in its own way. Was specifically trying to judge the "thinness" described by others with regard to high rye whiskey. I agree that it had less mouthfeel then something like baby Saz or a typical low rye bourbon but it didn't really impact my enjoyment. I thought both the CEHT and the WP were similarly "thin" though. Maybe the WP had slightly more body to it but not dramamtically so. Given they are roughly the same price but the CEHT is presumably younger I thought it stood up well to the WP but would give the WP the edge.

Last night I had a pour of HW Double Rye and followed that up with Ritt BiB. I preferred the HW to the Ritt, and it wasn't close.

This is only the second bottle of Ritt I have had; the first was fantastic, I got a lot of rum-like notes out of it. This current bottle of Ritt has a definite 'earthy' taste that I have only ever experienced in a bottle of Hancock's Presidential Reserve. It seriously tastes like fresh dirt. Has anyone else ever got that kind of taste out of Ritt? Did I just get an off bottle? I am hoping a little air and time in the bottle helps this one out.

My last couple of bottles have been a little earthy but not enough to put me off.

I had a nice big pour of Ritt last night with a splash of Willet 5 year in it and it was great.

Pulled out my bottle of Bulleit over the weekend. I'm always pleasantly surprised just how much this has in it for a NAS (probably 4 year) 90 proof sub-$25 whiskey.

My last couple of bottles have been a little earthy but not enough to put me off.

I had a nice big pour of Ritt last night with a splash of Willet 5 year in it and it was great.

Thanks for the reply; I haven't gone through enough Ritt to really get a feel for the profile. I am going to stick with it though. The Hancock's got better with time open; maybe this will be the same. I will give it a few weeks and then revisit it.

I should note that all of the Rittenhouse I am seeing is stock that was contract distilled at Brown Forman (DSP 354). The "homegrown" DSP-1 stuff should be out soon, I would think, and it's likely it may be somewhat different than the current.

The Ritt seems to be all over the place flavorwise... I had one that was total oranges, another that was more bourbon vanilla, and another that had a lot of cherry going on. I'm afraid to buy the stuff any more cuz I never know which Ritt is going to show up. Tho it all has been drinkable, only one I really liked enough to think about getting again, and I'm afraid that batch is long gone :rolleyes:

I view the changes as something interesting though, and doesn't it attest to an artisan-like product, a one-of-a-kind? Production is probably too small to ensure a consistent profile.

I certainly understand the desire to encounter something you really liked again though.

Gary

It takes an optimist like Gary to call RittBIB an artisanal product. (I mean this as a compliment.)

Ritt BIB.

Feel like Eddie from Griswalds family vacation . . . I don't know why they call this stuff a mixer, it does just fine by itself.

Revisiting Jefferson's 10 YO rye after being open for about two months. This has opened up nicely with less mint and more vanilla or caramel and a much thicker feel on the palate.

Last night, while watching Game 3 of the World Series, I had a shot of Bulleit Rye. I could easily get used to that. I am looking forward to the new George Dickel Rye, which is the same whiskey, but "charcoal mellowed".

Tim

Had some Willett 4yr and a couple of pours of Whistlepig,that stuff will never cease to amaze me.:bigeyes:

Ritt BIB.

Feel like Eddie from Griswalds family vacation . . . I don't know why they call this stuff a mixer, it does just fine by itself.

Celebrating Sandy's arrival with pours of Saz18, Vintage Rye 21, and Ritt 25

That is a damn fine selections of whiskeys!

Ritt BIB haven't visited this bottled in quite some time and after this first pour wondering why.I hope the switch of DSP's doesn't effect this great value pour in a negative way.

Opened a PA distilled Overholt... It is a really interesting pour

Which distillery in PA and what age and proof? I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this.

Which distillery in PA and what age and proof? I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this.

I wish i could find which distillery, bottle states distilled in PA but all my research tells me it is an ND product distilled in Kentucky.. Guess i have to dig a bit more. It is 86 proof and it is the smoothest rye i have ever drank, my only problem is that i dont have enough of it in the bunker

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!