What Rye Are You Drinking? Autumn 2012

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wild Turkey Rye. 101 proof, not that 81 business - according to WT I must not like my rye "smooth" nor "bold".

Edited by LostBottle

A solid pour of VWFRR after the Binny's extravaganza last evening to cap the night off,what a perfect way to end an already stellar day!Thanks to another most generous member,thanks again Gary.

Having another small pour of VWFRR, this bottle is going way too fast, I better padlock the bottle I have in the bunker

Drinking some 2012 Saz18 & THH tonight.

The Saz18 is easy drinking and this bottle is going fast... not as sweet as the nose suggests but not very spicy for a rye either - I get a little citrus but it wisps in and out for me. The THH on the other hand socks you in the mouth with spiciness but there's also a grainy-taste (akin to taking a big whiff after opening up a new box of oatmeal) in the palette for me.

I probably need to let these bottles sit for a bit longer, but as of right now, I prefer the Saz18.

Edited by ChainWhip

Wild Turkey Rye. 101 proof, not that 81 business - according to WT I must not like my rye "smooth" nor "bold".

I do kind of wonder about the sales results they're getting -- are the numbers great, good, soft or awful? How about results compared to projections? Is this a project/brand/product manager's victory or defeat? (And if it's a defeat, are they too powerful and/or connected to suffer the consequences of a poor business decision?)

I'm really hoping they return to the 101 rye. It sold steadily enough to keep producing it, and it was a good product. My seat-of-the-pants impression is that the 81 just isn't selling.

Ironically, having a pour of WT 81 rye because I wasn't @#$%^ paying attention when I bought it (thought I had stumbled upon a WT 101 rye). It isn't "bad", but it is sort of like drinking watered-down lite beer vs real beer. Actually reminds me more of scotch than rye whiskey for some reason. I think this is my second pour from the bottle, and seriously thinking of dumping it just to make room for something else.

I opened a 2012 Sazerac 18 and it's as stellar as any of the other years. I am getting a lot of anise on the front of the palate which I am enjoying quite a bit - I am not sure if the other years had this much licorice taste up front, so I will crack a 2009 or 2010 before this one is empty and do a direct comparison. Could be a temporary palate thing too though. On a side note, I have found eating peanut butter before sipping rye is an awesome combination and really brings out the flavor in the older whiskeys, kind of the exact opposite of a spicy meal.

Edited by LostBottle

Every pour, of every Handy, of every year, on every night, has been just like the pour I am sipping on now...mind-numbing spectacularness! My Goodness, what a treat. But, it even gets better for me later...I glimpsed down at the last 1-1/2" left in this bottle, and there is a healthy layer of char coating the bottom of the bottle, just waiting for me...:yum:

Just cracked open a HW 16 and am thoroughly enjoying it... Too bad I only have 2 375's as this is some delicious Rye

Some saz 18 last night. Spicy, dry, sweet, herby, all the things you look for in a classic rye!

I had some VWFRR and V21 yesterday. I hate to break it to the suckers who stood in line for hours, but the V21 easily surpassed the Van Winkle - it was smoother and had more flavor.

Never done a side by side, but just going by memory I'd put them on a fairly level playing field. My have to put that to the test soon.

Don't get me wrong, the VWFRR is very good and easily in the upper echelon of American whiskeys. However, the Vintage 21 has more baking spice and wood flavor, which I prefer. The bigger difference is that the V21 is a much smoother whiskey when had neat. While the VW is creamy, it is a little more rough around the edges. I will buy either one in a heartbeat, but if forced to choose, the V21 would be my pick.

Don't get me wrong, the VWFRR is very good and easily in the upper echelon of American whiskeys. However, the Vintage 21 has more baking spice and wood flavor, which I prefer. The bigger difference is that the V21 is a much smoother whiskey when had neat. While the VW is creamy, it is a little more rough around the edges. I will buy either one in a heartbeat, but if forced to choose, the V21 would be my pick.

Well, maybe you could forgo the "sucker" comment, then?

My second try at THH tonight - I poured a dram and let it sit for 30-40 min (covered the glass) and its is much better the second time around.

I got the spices like last time but also noticed vanilla, freshly cut pine lumber, faint traces of bananas-foster... I like it but I think it still takes a back seat to Saz18.

Well, maybe you could forgo the "sucker" comment, then?

I wish no offense, but I will have to stand by that particular comment. VW rye is certainly good and one would definitely not be a sucker for buying it at anything under $85ish. Hell, I might just pay $100. However, there is no whiskey worth standing in line for hours to obtain a sole bottle, especially when better bottles can be found on the shelves all year long - this is where my comment was directed. Also, the stores that make people do the cattle call BS can suck it.

/:soapbox:

Edited by LostBottle

I wish no offense, but I will have to stand by that particular comment. VW rye is certainly good and one would definitely not be a sucker for buying it at anything under $85ish. Hell, I might just pay $100. However, there is no whiskey worth standing in line for hours to obtain a sole bottle, especially when better bottles can be found on the shelves all year long - this is where my comment was directed. Also, the stores that make people do the cattle call BS can suck it.

Your local stores seem to have a better stock than mine. Never seen Vintage Rye on the shelf (or anywhere else) in the stores I frequent and it doesn't seem to be readily available at internet retailers that would ship to me, even if I was willing to pay the shipping cost on top of the cost of the bottle. I have at least seen the VWFRR (admittedly only once, at which point I promptly bought it) and I didn't even have to stand in line.

Like I said, you could have said that, in your opinion, the V21 is better than the VWFRR. And, stopped there. If you have a problem with certain retailers distribution tactics, or if you want to take shots at the board members who wish to participate in these events, then that's for another thread.

I think we need to get back on the subject of the thread here. I'll start last weekend I did a rye run of WTR 101, Saz 18, and Ritt 23. I had planned to do some Handy as well but I don't think I got that far as I did a couple pours of some of these.

I think we need to get back on the subject of the thread here. I'll start last weekend I did a rye run of WTR 101, Saz 18, and Ritt 23. I had planned to do some Handy as well but I don't think I got that far as I did a couple pours of some of these.

Nice selection! The WTR 101 was my favorite reasonably-priced drinker/mixer. I enjoyed it much more than Ritt BIB and will miss it once the little bit in my bottle is gone.

Nice selection! The WTR 101 was my favorite reasonably-priced drinker/mixer. I enjoyed it much more than Ritt BIB and will miss it once the little bit in my bottle is gone.

Just picked up another bottle of WTR101 from a store one town over from me. A few weeks ago they still had nine bottles on the shelf, but I've wittled them down to a lone bottle that I'm leaving for someone else to find.

So glad I found this store, because I also prefer WTR101 to the other commonly available ryes. Good stuff.

Just picked up another bottle of WTR101 from a store one town over from me. A few weeks ago they still had nine bottles on the shelf, but I've wittled them down to a lone bottle that I'm leaving for someone else to find.

So glad I found this store, because I also prefer WTR101 to the other commonly available ryes. Good stuff.

I agree...particularly after the ultra-bland Templeton Rye I've been drinking lately which was gifted to me for my birthday. I would never purchase this stuff for myself at its current price point.

Noticed the change in Templeton labeling. Newer blander stuff does not have the Batch/Barrel numbers on the back. Might have to squirrel away a few of the older if I can find them. Have had a few Templetons that were notable and a few that were unremarkable. One thing I have noticed is that if a good amount of Whiskey is on the docket for the evening, Templeton treats me pretty well the next morning.

Have to say the opposite for the other Delaware Phoenix Rye that I've been enjoying. Tastes young but I appreciate the uniqueness of the flavor, a little grassy and bright and really sings with a small amount of water as well. But man, two lowballs of that and I can tell the next day.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!