What Rye Are You Drinking? Autumn 2012

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Enjoying a little Ritt BiB. First nip in a couple of weeks. Love this and excited that it has finally made it on the Michigan list. Now we just have to get some shipments in.

Don't mean to quote myself but today was able to pick up two bottles of Ritt BiB at a Michigan store!! Both bottles are DSP 354,

Some Willett 5yr and some Baby Saz. Two totally different ryes, but both are really yummy .

Budget bottle - I recently opened a bottle of Old Overholt and have had 2 tastings to date. I must say - this is pretty good stuff! All the jokes about 'Old Overcoat' and such may have been true in the past (or to some palates), but I find this juice quite tasty. The first pour has a sweet tip, a mild rye-pepper middle and a light wood finish - no hard edges to be seen. On the second pour, the rye started building it's peppery base. My second tasting had less sweetness in the front, but still quite good. At a sale price of about half of RittBIB, a 4 year age statement and a typical rye profile, I'ma likin'! I hope the rest of the bottle holds up. (Sure, it's not as good as RittBIB, but it's better than half as good)

Budget bottle - I recently opened a bottle of Old Overholt and have had 2 tastings to date. I must say - this is pretty good stuff! All the jokes about 'Old Overcoat' and such may have been true in the past (or to some palates), but I find this juice quite tasty. The first pour has a sweet tip, a mild rye-pepper middle and a light wood finish - no hard edges to be seen. On the second pour, the rye started building it's peppery base. My second tasting had less sweetness in the front, but still quite good. At a sale price of about half of RittBIB, a 4 year age statement and a typical rye profile, I'ma likin'! I hope the rest of the bottle holds up. (Sure, it's not as good as RittBIB, but it's better than half as good)

Try vatting it about 1:1 or even 1:2 with Old Forester Signature. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Seems like Old Overcoat is a reference to a bottle of whiskey in an old cartoon rather than a criticism of the juice, but my memory may be fuzzy. I think most people like OO alright.

I personally think OO is pretty good, definitely good for the price. I buy one now and then when I see them - not available here.

I remember references to "Old Overcoat" from when I was too young to understand what whiskey was except that my grandfather like having a glass of it with ice after dinner, and that it tasted really yucky!

I'm going to guess it was from Mad Magazine or some comic book or detective parody, circa 1968-72.

I should probably buy a bottle and try it, which I haven't done just yet. It's a cheap experiment, to be sure, and it can be found in nearly all liquor stores in Massachusetts.

Got my hands on the new Pepper Rye. Pretty good but not a day over 2 years old for sure. For $25 a bottle and 100pf, it's got a home on my shelf as long as I can get it! Think Bulleit Rye with more youth and spice.

Also recently got a bottle of "baby" Saz. Seems younger than my last bottle, but still a very refreshing rye.

After taking stock of my ryes, I realized just how much I actually have:

Rittenhouse, Pikesville, Old Overholt, Knob Creek, Sazerac, Dad's Hat, Dad's Hat unaged, Delaware Phoenix unaged, Wild Turkey 101, Wild Turkey 81, Russell's Reserve, and Van Winkle Family Reserve. I have unopened bottles of Michter's and Hirsch 21 rye too.

Drinking some "B" batch VWFRR. It may be a victim of my extremely high expectations, because this is typically one of my favorite American whiskies, but this bottle is falling a little flat. It's still enjoyable, but the finish isn't what I remember and overall it tastes more sour than spicy. Hmm... I think I have an older bottling somewhere. It'd be interesting to taste them blind and see if I'm off base or not.

A little Whistle Pig as the final pour of the night and I must say the 100% rye mashbill is really on key tonight.

Decided to revisit the VR21 tonight. Woody and heavy that almost dominates the rye but great when you want to chew your whiskey instead of drink it.

Need to pick a good one to celebrate Prohibition Day. I'm leaning toward WT American Spirit.

Some Rittenhouse BIB. Glad it has finally hit the shelves in Michigan.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

It has over a year since I've seen Ritt BIB in the wild. Thanks to a tip from a fellow SBer, I checked out an online store that had free shipping. Their bourbon selection was just so so. But they did have Ritt for a reasonable price. Bingo!!

I'm enjoying a pour right now. If this ever goes away, there will be an uproar!!

Rittenhouse 23 year old. First poor of this wonderful Rye. So smooth and spicy. Glad I found two bottles. Still have not cracked the 25 or the 21 since I only have one of each. I am celebrating the final lights going up on the house.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!