What Rye Are You Drinking? Autumn 2012

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Polished off a 375ml of HW16 than has been open for a few months. Great rye and up there in the top 5 for me.

I completely agree with this statement.

Cracked open a Michters SB Rye. Barrel #1258-11. Decent pour, well balanced. Not sure about a re-buy but worth it the first time around for me. The low proof does drop the grade on this bottle.

Edited by oke&coke
add info

I'd say its in between VWFRR and V21s profile. It's got a hint of creaminess and roundness that is pleasant but not to the levels of VWFRR. True rye character that is super fresh and vibrant, better than saz18. V21 shows its age more and the HW 16 shows its youth when compared. HW16 is a good example of a middle road between VWFRR and V21.

Hmm, my bottle (batch 6) is totally different from Saz 18 and V21. It's a lot like AaronWF described it, like a custardy minty bramble. I get some woody notes but nothing like the others, and a complete absence of sharp rye notes. I can't compare it to any other ryes.

Still working on Beam yellow label

Keep working. You'll eventually find the bottom and be able to move on. :grin:

A small sip of Hirsch 21 tonight. I am trying to hit this bottle infrequently until I can find another - 750ml is just not enough liquid!

A large pour of baby Saz and a bit of Jefferson 10 while resisting the urge to open the bottle of Hirsch 22 rye that UPS dropped off today

A large pour of baby Saz and a bit of Jefferson 10 while resisting the urge to open the bottle of Hirsch 22 rye that UPS dropped off today

Ha, you one upped me! In a vertical tasting of Hirsch Rye a couple of us did, the 22 was the clear winner. Nice score, Michael.

That was the post that inspired my "need" to try it... Also have the 20 yr Canadian rye and the 21 yr on the way so not as impressive as your tasting but close

Crack that bad boy already, fresh off the truck! :cool:

Glad to hear you got your hands on one, Michael. I still have yet to crack my bottle open. I'm thinking of opening it for a fun tasting with the HW21, and Ritt 23.

OK, I am interested in this Hirsch 22 now, since I've seen a bottle in the wilds at the dear price of $200+. I take it it's good. What's in it? Search on this forum brought up lots of info about older releases, but not so much on this one.

OK, I am interested in this Hirsch 22 now, since I've seen a bottle in the wilds at the dear price of $200+. I take it it's good. What's in it? Search on this forum brought up lots of info about older releases, but not so much on this one.

For that amount of money I don't want to have to guess it's provenance. The face the NDP isn't saying says a lot.

In all the threads I have read the price ranges from $110-$150

And to get the thread back on track I am doing my best to polish off the last few pours of my baby Saz

I do believe it is from the same stock as a component of VWFRR. I tasted some last week and it was delicious stuff. $200+ is A LOT to ask. I would only ever consider that if I happened to be flush and didn't already spend the money on something else.

It definitely came from the same stock as the BMH23, but where did that come from? Regarding price, $200 is not just a lot, it is gouging.

Edited by LostBottle

I did some reconnaissance on that Hirsch 22. They have 2 bottles. I was wrong about the price, it's only $165 :(. I'm going to have to think about it.

I did some reconnaissance on that Hirsch 22. They have 2 bottles. I was wrong about the price, it's only $165 :(. I'm going to have to think about it.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!