What Rye Are You Drinking? Autumn 2012

OscarV
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It was definitely a brass monkey alert today in west central Ohio. And I work outside for a living, not a pleasant day.

So I've decided to warm my cockles, not with Sam Adams, but with some TPS 5yr old Willett

Think I'll treat myself to some rye tonight and the selection is . . . wait for it . . . Beam yellow label.

Think I'll treat myself to some rye tonight and the selection is . . . wait for it . . . Beam yellow label.

Its not a bad thing to go outside your comfort zone squire ..!!!

Took a bottle of Baby Saz to Christmas today and had multiple family members try it,thumbs up from all sides.Most of my family are Canadian or Scotch drinkers and general consensus was they really enjoyed the floral element and that it was a very easy going rye.

Santa was good to me, so I had a couple pours of Saz 18 Christmas night. My first bottle of this amazing Rye. Top of my Rye list so far. Edging out the RH23 and the TH. Haven't ever found a Pappy Rye.

post-8428-14489818505849_thumb.jpg

Santa was good to me, so I had a couple pours of Saz 18 Christmas night. My first bottle of this amazing Rye. Top of my Rye list so far. Edging out the RH23 and the TH. Haven't ever found a Pappy Rye.

Now THATS a cool stocking!

Had a dram of WTR101 followed by the last pour of OO. That OO is mighty fine stuff - floral gum & pepper with an oak finish. Goes down easy and stays interesting thru the whole bottle. My favorite bottom shelf product (sub $15/750ml), so far. I hope that wasn't just an unusually good bottle. It certainly drained fast - less than a month, wow! Willett Rye (5 year) or Bulleit Rye next?

Hey Squire, how about a taste review of that Yellow label? It's almost $2/750ml more than OO here (on sale) - is it worth the extra?

Edited by MauiSon

Apparently Santa ran out of Saz 18 by the time he got to my house.

MS I've reviewed the Yellow Label before, should be one buried in the archives here, if I can't find it I'll do another.

Cracked open a bottle of Hirsch 20 yr Canadian Rye, I will start by saying I have never had a Canadian whiskey before so the "style" is new to me and kind of odd in that the mouth feel is so light. It has a very nice Rye flavor and has a rather long spicy and hot finish but the mouth feel is just weird to me and is making it almost hard to enjoy...

I'm not surprised Michael, this whisky was probably not intended as a sipping whisky on it's own, rather it was made to be a flavoring element in a blend of whiskies made with other grain recipes including corn which would add a more familiar mouth feel. Just because it's old and rye seems sufficient for it to be bottled and show up on retail shelves today with a hefty price tag.

I will file this under the category of interesting... For the $$ I have invested in it I find it a good learning experience not to mention it still drinks well, it is just really different in terms of mouth feel but still a very enjoyable pour

I haven't cracked it open yet, but I did end up liberating one of those Hirsch 22 ryes we talked about a few weeks ago from its liquor store prison. Never found any BTAC this year so I put the money towards this. (and of course, if I find that WLW I want I will still buy it. I just need to justify the cost of this bottle to myself somehow)

Nice score, Compliance. Believe me when I say that you did not "settle" for that Hirsch 22. It is far better than any of the BTAC, save for the Saz18, but that will be released again next year and the Hirsch won't. No need to justify, you chose well.

Edited by LostBottle

I haven't cracked it open yet, but I did end up liberating one of those Hirsch 22 ryes we talked about a few weeks ago from its liquor store prison. Never found any BTAC this year so I put the money towards this. (and of course, if I find that WLW I want I will still buy it. I just need to justify the cost of this bottle to myself somehow)

Max,glad to hear you went back and sealed the deal,you won't be disappointed.I've had the pleasure of both the 21 and 22yr,now enjoy the fruits of your bounty!:grin:

Way to pull the trigger on that Hirsch, C. Not sure if it's "far better than any of the BTAC", as I've recently been schooled on that whole "subjective" thing on another rye thread...But, the point is you don't know until you try it!. And, I salute you for doing what SBer's do best..."Damn the torpedoes, and buy the damn thing!!" :D

:toast:

Been sampling George Dickel rye (45% ABV; no age statement)....

ROTT,

this is the best LDI/MGP rye I've tried. The Dickel charcoal filtering softens the mintiness typical of the LDI 95% ryes. IMO, this is a good thing. The result seems less one-dimensional and more well-rounded. Citrus notes are evident at mid-palate. Very easy and drinkable. At the $21.99 price it is certainly worth a try.

(Side Note: My bottle had the tightest #@!&} plastic "cork" I've ever encountered..... I was afraid it was going to break every time I wrestled it from the bottle.)

bunch of enablers in here :lol:

If there is one thing we do well, it is that! :D

Enjoyed a nice manhattan made with 4 yr old Willett tonight while pulling for the Redskins (purely for financials reasons). Am loving this rye in manhattans but find it rather harsh on its own when sipping neat.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!