What bourbon are you drinking today? Autumn '12

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

That's $11 well spent!

You bet C2. Is there a more unknown, greater, bang-for-yoru-buck whiskey out there? I hate to repeat this for the fortyeleventiath time...but, if you're disappointed in WT these days, hunt this one down.

:toast:

You bet C2. Is there a more unknown, greater, bang-for-yoru-buck whiskey out there? I hate to repeat this for the fortyeleventiath time...but, if you're disappointed in WT these days, hunt this one down.

Amen. For those of you that don't know and want to track this down, you have 3 options that I am aware of: Alabama, North Carolina, and Japan.

If you like to do some mingling of whiskeys you owe it to yourself to read some Gary Gillman posts. He's been on the forum since 2002, has 8313 posts and is our resident expert of the art. Maybe you have already but just thought I'd mention it. And your combo makes absolute sense with the two you used. Suprised to hear of a 4R1B being thin but that's the gamble of single barrels.

Thanks for the shout T Comp. Sure, I've read plenty of Gillman's posts, and I've thoroughly enjoyed the SB blend amongst others. Out of necessity (I needed an empty bottle), I've also got a mingling of Pure Kentucky XO and Ezra Brooks 7/101 that works well. As to the thinness of the 4R1B, it could just be my palate, or it could be the barrel. It wasn't doing it for me alone though.

Tonight, drinking some Weller 12, and a Harlan Wheatley ER10 SB Select which is excellent.

Giving the New Holland Beer Barrel Bourbon a spin.

Definitely different, but not without its merits. Tasted blind I may have pegged this for an Irish.

Had a pour from a bottle of Blanton's that I got as a Christmas gift this year, and this one was from a honey barrel. Outstanding

Also has a pour from a Party Source FR OESK. I like this one with a splash of water to tone down the spicyness a bit.

Now I'm sipping on some CEHT small batch, and I don't care for this one. It has this sourdough bread flavor that is just not my thing. I also find this in most Heaven Hill bourbons I've had

Hey Joe - how does Virgin compare to OEB 7yr/101? Aren't they both HH?

Brian I'm not Joe but yes, Virgin is a HH product. We used to drink it regularly a couple decades back then it sort of phased out of our area when HH revamped their lines. I thought of it as an Evan black at a higher proof. I never did a direct comparison to Ezra though it does seem obvious now that you mention it.

Last night, my first full pour from a store-selected JPS18. So nice. It sounds like some people have experiences unevenness in the various batches of JPS17/18, so maybe specially selected barrels are the way to go on this one.

Drinking from sadly my last bottle of VWFRR. The bottle has been open for about a month. Man, it tastes fantastic. Better and better.

A little Heaven Hill is in order tonight Henry McKenna BIB and EWSB'01 both solid pours as both were bargain bin buys.

Had some Hirsch 20 year out at a bar tonight. Although now that I came home and looked it up, it looks like it's not bourbon? Pretty bourbon-like experience, anyway.

I had that after some Bourbon County Stout on draft, which is always a treat.

Had some Hirsch 20 year out at a bar tonight. Although now that I came home and looked it up, it looks like it's not bourbon? Pretty bourbon-like experience, anyway.

I had that after some Bourbon County Stout on draft, which is always a treat.

There's definitely a (AH) Hirsch 20 year old bourbon although it's more likely you had the new Hirsch 20 Canadian Rye or American Whiskey. The bourbon is phenomenal and highly sought after...the others...not so much.

As I began my Christmas vacation time tonight, I decided to take the first thing I came to instead of deliberating through the bunker. It ended up being the lone bottle of Larceny I purchased not that long ago. I had intended to let it sit a few months in hopes of filtering out some undesirables. However, it was much more balanced & even-tempered than a couple of weeks ago.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!