What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Starting the season with a Yuengling Oktoberfest.

Not sure how it stacks up against the others...been years since I've tried this style.

Well I'm ringing in the season in style with a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. Damn this good, soooo good! It's sweet and malty, thick and gooey with a perfect barrel pickup of creamy vanilla and a finish that takes me to a Kentucky whiskey warehouse. Boozy in a good way at 15%, and perfectly balanced. I'm gonna need to find a BIG bourbon to follow this guy up.

Cold bottle of Great Lakes Oktoberfest to wash the dust down. Always on my pick up list when the season rolls around for it.

B

I had a fantastic trifecta of Oskar Blues today started off with Gordon, then had a Dale's and finished with a Deviant Dales.. 3 mighty tasty beers

Well I'm ringing in the season in style with a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. Damn this good, soooo good! It's sweet and malty, thick and gooey with a perfect barrel pickup of creamy vanilla and a finish that takes me to a Kentucky whiskey warehouse. Boozy in a good way at 15%, and perfectly balanced. I'm gonna need to find a BIG bourbon to follow this guy up.

I keep kidding myself that beers like F-W Parabola, CW BBS and Founders KBS are just as good. But then I crack one of these open and I'm reminded that BCS really is in a class by itself. I love that they distributed so much more of this in Chicagoland this year compared to last. And I now have a four-year vertical bunkered!

Widmer Brothers Pitch Black IPA...rich toasty malt with Cascade and Alchemy hops give this one a GREAT balance and complexity! I love the Pacific NW for their beers!post-4808-14489818294357_thumb.jpg

I keep kidding myself that beers like F-W Parabola, CW BBS and Founders KBS are just as good. But then I crack one of these open and I'm reminded that BCS really is in a class by itself. I love that they distributed so much more of this in Chicagoland this year compared to last. And I now have a four-year vertical bunkered!

I liked this last one more than the last few I tried. I had a 2010 on tap that had been in keg for about two years, and it was almost unbearably chalky. I've had a few others aged in bottle for a few years, and I liked them, but I have found that they get thicker and gooier over time, and I really liked the texture this fresher bottle offered. The keg-aging thickened it more than bottle aging in the same time period, but if I can control myself, I'll try to drink the remaining bottles of my 4-pack every 6 months over the next year and a half to see if I find a sweet spot.

I've long stayed away from stouts in general, but I think they're growing on me and I intend to experiment with stouts barrel-aged and otherwise this coming season.

I had a couple of Arcadia HopMouth on the way home today accompanied by a tomato cheesy avacodo sandwich,...hmmm, I could also post this on the "sandwich" thread and increase my post count.

Finally scored the Oskar Blues Old Chub Scottish Ale which I'll be drinking tonight while watching football, but last night was the tail end of a Hofbrau Oktoberfest twelve pack. Excellent!

Oskar Blues Old Chub kills! I'm really digging this brewery. Has anybody had their Pils?

Unclebunk,

I've had the Oskar Blues Pils. Here's what I wrote about it at the time, from somewhere in the depths of the "What Beer Are You Drinking Summer 2012" thread:

"Bought a 6-pack of Oskar Blues "Mama's Little Pils." After one can, I'm underwhelmed. It's definitely not bad, but it falls into a middle ground between the crispness I like in Czechvar and the cloying, corny sweetness I don't like in cheaper offerings like Simpler Times Pilsner (hey -- at 50 cents a can it was worth a try). Basically, the Oskar Blues has no defining characteristics. Plus, it's got a pretty funky finish and aftertaste."

My opinion didn't really improve after finishing the rest of the 6-pack. I guess I just like a crisper, less sweet Pils.

Unclebunk,

I've had the Oskar Blues Pils. Here's what I wrote about it at the time, from somewhere in the depths of the "What Beer Are You Drinking Summer 2012" thread:

"Bought a 6-pack of Oskar Blues "Mama's Little Pils." After one can, I'm underwhelmed. It's definitely not bad, but it falls into a middle ground between the crispness I like in Czechvar and the cloying, corny sweetness I don't like in cheaper offerings like Simpler Times Pilsner (hey -- at 50 cents a can it was worth a try). Basically, the Oskar Blues has no defining characteristics. Plus, it's got a pretty funky finish and aftertaste."

My opinion didn't really improve after finishing the rest of the 6-pack. I guess I just like a crisper, less sweet Pils.

I've had their Pils and quite honestly I wasn't impressed with it. I've had Dale's Pale Ale, Deviant Dale's, Good K'night, Gubna, Old Chub, and Ten Fidy and I've really enjoyed them all...the Pils was the only one that was a miss for me.

Thanks for the info, boys. I think I'll steer clear of the Oskar Blues Pils for the time being and see if I can find the Gubna and Ten Fidy. So far, all I'm seeing on the shelves is the Dale's Pale and the Old Chub, with the nod going to the DP. Now, on to the Half Acre beers and more Revolution Porter.

I had a few Old Chub last night watching da Bears show excellent progress towards world domination. I was a little disappointed with the beer. I had heard it compares well to Founder's Dirty Bastard, but that wasn't the case for me. The OC was much sweeter and a good deal less hoppy. Next stop: revisit Robert the Bruce.

I had some 3 Floyds Zes Zes Zes and Rye'da Tiger the other night. The ZZZ is a golden, bready Belgian-style ale with a scrumptious hop finish: super fresh, nuanced and well-balanced. The Rye'da had a nice rye bite in the body with a gushing hop finish. Very tasty, though I would have liked a bit more carbonation to break up the nectar-y texture of it - may have been a bad bottle top.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.