What beer are you drinking - Autumn '12

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Discovered Yuengling Porter while taking the tour at the Pottsville brewery. I have found my beer.

Three Floyd's Zombie Dust and Avery's Ellie's Brown Ale while watching football yesterday. Both were superb!

Dogfish Head 120 minute right now. I grabbed several Goose Island Bourbon County Stouts tonight and may jump into that next. Also have a KBS from last year chillin...just in case I feel the need to stout it up tonight. 4:00 am is going to come really early tomorrow.

Had my first taste of Founders Backwoods Bastard -- a Scotch ale aged in bourbon barrels -- tonight. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised at its thinness in comparison to barrel-aged stouts and barley wines. But the lack of body did leave me feel like something was wanting, even as the bourbon brought the expected doses of very nice chocolate, oak, vanilla and coconut notes. Memorywise, it reminded me most of Central Waters' Barrel-Aged Stout -- gonna have to do a side by side of the two beers. I look forward to seeing what some age does to it as well.

I was in Cincinnati this week and tried Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, it was outstanding. Looked a lot like a fine bourbon and you could definitely taste the Bourbon in the drink. Combination of my two favorites, craft beer and Bourbon.

Finishing the last of my Oberon, so I can start on some cold weather beers

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I'm drinking a Wasatch Brewery Alta 75th Anniversary Commemorative Ale. It's a pale ale.

Alta is a ski resort near Salt Lake; the thing that strikes me the most about this beer is that the hop character is very piney, and that makes it very fitting of its name - Alta is full of pine trees.

Very enjoyable beer. My only complaint is that they made it "Utah strength" - 4.0% ABV. Lets them sell it in a lot more places around here, so I'm sure the day will come when I'm happy they made that decision.

KY Bourbon Barrel Ale, whilst straining my bacon infused bourbon. Then on to an old fashioned!

Bought two 12-packs of Sierra Nevada Celebration today. One of them cold to drink now and one warm to hang onto for awhile. I really think this is the best seasonal Sierra Nevada release and possibly their best beer overall. I may even buy one or two more 12-packs of it before it's gone!

Bought two 12-packs of Sierra Nevada Celebration today. One of them cold to drink now and one warm to hang onto for awhile. I really think this is the best seasonal Sierra Nevada release and possibly their best beer overall. I may even buy one or two more 12-packs of it before it's gone!

Bought another 12-pack of Celebration Ale today. So now I have a whole case "resting." More importantly though, I found and bought a bottle of the 2012 Sierra Nevada Estate Homegrown Ale which I really look forward to trying. Also bought one each of the 2012 Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale and the 2012 Southern Hemisphere Harvest Fresh Hop Ale.

I've always been a big fan of Sierra Nevada. They're in my top three favorite breweries along with Bell's and Rogue.

Great Divde Claymore Scotch Ale. Between the hibernation ale (my current favorite beer), this Scotch ale and the yeti's I may never drink another beer besides something from great divide.

Enjoying some Southern Tier Creme Brulee and Great Lakes Christmas Ale this week.

I also have an Ayinger Oktoberfest I need to knock out.

Had a bomber of Abduction, an imperial stout from Pipeworks, last night. On the hoppy side as stouts go, and on the delicious side as well. They're serious contenders for "best brewery in Chicago"; it's going to be fun watching them continue to grow.

Had a bomber of Abduction, an imperial stout from Pipeworks, last night. On the hoppy side as stouts go, and on the delicious side as well. They're serious contenders for "best brewery in Chicago"; it's going to be fun watching them continue to grow.

Hmmm, well that's good news. I had a Belgian IPA of theirs I wasn't all that impressed with, kind of wrote them off. Good to hear a positive review, I'll have to experiment more with them!

BTW, really last minute here, but are you going to FoWaBAB? I'm on my way right now! Train to bus boo-ya! The things I do for beer...

Edited by AaronWF

A 2012/2013 Samuel Smith's "Winter Welcome Ale", after spending the afternoon puffing stogies at the local cigar mega-store's Customer Appreciation Event. The nice malty character to this beer is cooling the pipes nicely. Actually, I wish I would have had this during the event. Not heavy, but silky over the palate. And, with a pleasanty nutty chewiness to it. Now, to sit down to see how the college games went today. :toast:

Finally bumped into some Hacker Pschorr Octoberfest and enjoying a couple of 'em today. One of the better of the style IMHO. Good news, bad news...5.8% in 11.5 oz bottles.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.