Hochstadter's "Slow and Low" Rock and Rye.

ethangsmith
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've emptied a bottle or two of this in my time, but it's been a good while. After reading this thread I'm gonna pick some up on my next stop.

Just started appearing on a few Aussie web sites earlier this month. $50 a bottle. Might try one in the interests of 'research'..... and 'cause I'm a sucker for a good flavored whiskey (no pun intended) :)

Yikes! I know Australian prices are considerably higher due to taxes, shipping perhaps and other things but that is quite the price difference. Can get it here for $20 or less last time I looked for it. It is quite enjoyable, especially at that price, but the cost of research is pretty steep!

Are you getting the same proof there? Started out at 98 proof and age stated 6yo rye which was pretty remarkable for the price but is now 84pf and not age stated.

The 84 proof is available in WashDC @ $20-23. I'm sure I saw some in a VA ABC Store, too, last week, but it's not on the VA ABC Price List online. FWIW, I've used it in cocktails in lieu of whisky+simple syrup (Old Fashioneds, etc.) when having more than one outside when there's a chance the heat will help us doze off. We get a nice grassy/minty hint from the Hoch-rye that's missing in lower proof R&Rs (think syrupy Mr. Boston) and don't have to fuss with combining a lower proof R&R with the "right" amount of, say, Ritt to punch it up. Keeps us from falling off the chairs, too. Yeah, we've thought of seatbelts.

• 6 months later...

I recently grabbed a bottle of this and like it well enough. Of course now that I've read through this thread and discovered that is used to be 98 Proof, I'm wishing I'd found it sooner (though that version my have never been available in TX).

I'm thinking about adding a bit of Rittenhouse 100 to what's left in the bottle and letting it mingle for a couple of days to kick it up a notch.

There are still 98°, 6 y/o bottles out there. I see them from time to time! I almost always pick them up when I do.

I recently grabbed a bottle of this and like it well enough. Of course now that I've read through this thread and discovered that is used to be 98 Proof, I'm wishing I'd found it sooner (though that version my have never been available in TX).

I'm thinking about adding a bit of Rittenhouse 100 to what's left in the bottle and letting it mingle for a couple of days to kick it up a notch.

That's a great idea. Please let us know how it turns out.

There are still 98°, 6 y/o bottles out there. I see them from time to time! I almost always pick them up when I do.

I'm just wondering if those ever made it to Texas. I'll definitely be on the lookout though.

Ok you've convinced me time to pick up a bottle of Hochs. On a side note isn't great to have a wife like that?

Ok you've convinced me time to pick up a bottle of Hochs. On a side note isn't great to have a wife like that?

I have done this, and it works fine. It's certainly better than mixing Ritt with Mr. Boston @ 54 proof (which I also tried). When my wife first read about R&R, she told me she'd be glad to taste any experiments I conducted. (IOW - I got a license to buy ryes.) We had no real success making our own (Demerara in Ritt, Demerara w/other flavors in Ritt, cane sugar in Ritt, etc.) even when she turned her prodigious cooking prowess to the task after I got frustrated with the results. But Ritt w/ Hoch's S&L was fine. For those who don't want to play around, however, Hoch's S&L is also fine by itself. Just don't expect the kick of a fine cocktail.

Harry, what kind of ratio did you find gave the best overall result?

I have done this, and it works fine. It's certainly better than mixing Ritt with Mr. Boston @ 54 proof (which I also tried). When my wife first read about R&R, she told me she'd be glad to taste any experiments I conducted. (IOW - I got a license to buy ryes.) We had no real success making our own (Demerara in Ritt, Demerara w/other flavors in Ritt, cane sugar in Ritt, etc.) even when she turned her prodigious cooking prowess to the task after I got frustrated with the results. But Ritt w/ Hoch's S&L was fine. For those who don't want to play around, however, Hoch's S&L is also fine by itself. Just don't expect the kick of a fine cocktail.

The Hoch rye used in this is presumed to be (at least by me although I don't know it for a fact) from the same Alberta Distillery source as Jefferson's, WP and it's own Lock, Stock and Barrel. I might have to try adding a splash of the LSB or Boss Hog to add proof rather than Ritt even though that is a lot more expensive of course. Although I usually drink this when I am feeling lazy and want something mellow. I have a last lonely bottle of the 98 pf but have been typically going to the 80 proof version and saving the 98 pf to do comparisons.

Harry, what kind of ratio did you find gave the best overall result?

1.5 oz Ritt and 0.5 oz. Hoch's plus some ice (small Old Fashioned glass is best; a double OF tends to get too watery). IF you are in a mood for "sweeter", add not more than 1/2 teaspoon of a good simple syrup OR a 1/2 teaspoon of maraschino cherry juice. BTW, this combo with either orange bitters or a muddled orange slice makes a not bad ersatz Old Fashioned.

Picked up a fresh bottle of Rittenhouse 100 today, so I'll be trying this out. I've only got about1/4 bottle of Slow N Low left though

OK, added a few ounces of Ritt100 to the last of the Slow & Low, big splash of Blood Orange bitters, and a small splash of Demarara simple syrup.

Back in the freezer for a bit, we'll see how it turns out later tonight.

• 1 year later...

Cocktail in a can? The Hochstadter Slow & Low is now being released in a 100ml can. Can be chilled or poured over ice to create a ready made and a relatively high 84 proof cocktail. I think this has been tried a few times in the past with minimal success, at least in the US, hasn't it. But aren't canned bourbon & coke type drinks and the like pretty common in Australia and perhaps other countries?

Would certainly have a potential for convenience for traveling, whether it be across town or across the country, presuming one likes it (as I do occasionally).

Yep, Australia is the biggest consumer of Bourbon and Coke cans in the world.  I'd estimate that almost 8 out of 10 people who say they drink bourbon here consume it this way.  My guess is if they release the Slow and Low in a can here, it'll be a moderate success, but because it's not a pre-mix, it may struggle.

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a bottle today because of this thread, not as sweet as some online reviews suggest but OK I guess, kinda like an old fashioned made with a heavy hand on the orange bitters, not really worth it when you consider that you can make a better version in as long as it takes to add a dash of premade sugar syrup and bitters to any good cheap whiskey.

Edited by onemorepour

• 5 months later...

I haven't heard much about the 100 proof 8 year Hoch Rock & Rye limited release. Increased proof, aged rye, it sounds like they know what I like. Anyone tried this yet?

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 6:54 PM, knoxdocs said:

I haven't heard much about the 100 proof 8 year Hoch Rock & Rye limited release. Increased proof, aged rye, it sounds like they know what I like. Anyone tried this yet?

I have a bottle but haven't gotten around to opening it (that I can remember!). As I recall it was a limited edition and was not going to become the regular bottling. I do have a bottle of the original 6yo, 98 proof bottling which is very good. The regular stuff (and I am not sure it is even still available. Seems like with the relatively recent and presumably unexpected death of the reasonably young founder of the company that the status of Cooper Spirits, which always seemed a bit of a mystery to me anyway, is a bit more uncelear) was an NAS 84 proof bottling which is fine but lacks a bit of the body that the higher proof version had. 

58fe3fa292073_Hochstadtersslowandlowrockrye.JPG.9333d70a1e982b4925bdb5bd24628497.JPG

Edited by tanstaafl2
Added a picture that I forgot to include way back when this was posted!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.