Liquor Cabinet

jersey12
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm currently in the market for a liquor cabinet as my small but growing assortment of bottles has outgrown the top of my dresser. Would like to hear anyone's opinions on where to shop, what to look for, and/or pictures of your current liquor cabinet set up that I may be able to use for inspiration! Thanks on advance for your help.

Yo, Jersey!!! You are partaking upon a fool's folly. :D They don't make cabinets for people like us. They make houses with more rooms...or, PODS...:D

:toast:

Sadly, Joe is right. I just picked up some heavy duty shelves from Home Depot to set up in my basement for storage. I keep 10-15 open bottles upstairs for easy access.

:slappin: Yeah, you make a good point Joe. I should've figured that out after going through all the "Show us your stash" threads! Maybe some people have something of reasonable size that's in the living/dining room in addition to the basement "warehouses" that I've seen on here? There's got to be at least a few people on here that have moderate sized city apartments like me, right?

Sadly, Joe is right. I just picked up some heavy duty shelves from Home Depot to set up in my basement for storage. I keep 10-15 open bottles upstairs for easy access.

Ok so what do keep the 10-15 open bottles in?

Google Image Search is your friend!

Suggested search terms:

bar cabinet

liquor cabinet

dry bar

home bar

Also put the word "vintage" or "antique" in front of the search terms, or get specific in other ways. There's an amazing variety of designs.

One of these days I promise I'll put of photos of my early 1950s liquor cabinet...

Edited by Kalessin

Those aren't bourbon bottles on their side at the bottom, are they?

Found this in the clearance section of my local pottery barn... Too bad it is now full

Thanks for the picture. I like that a lot. Is there a door on the right side or it it always open?

Always open... I live in a small row house so I can sympathize with trying to fit something like a bar into a small place

I use a cube system from Ikea for my bottle display and it works a treat. Otherwise I keep 1 or 2 open bottles in a kitchen cupboard and about 30 open bottles on top of the cube.

I have this bar from Crate and Barrel http://www.crateandbarrel.com/organizing-and-storage/wine-bars-wine-cabinets/steamer-bar-cabinet/s233296?MobileOptOut=1

It holds a lot more than it looks and doesn't take up too much space when the doors are closed, but I still have a lot of bottles on bookshelves and heavy duty shelving units.

For anyone who is a serious cocktail/whiskey enthusiast, you will quickly outgrow any standard furniture labeled a "bar" or "liquor cabinet." They just don't have enough storage space.

Rather, you will want to upgrade to a large buffet table. These usually have lots of storage space that is intended for dishes, serving pieces, and glassware. One of these is enough to accommodate all but the most rabid of hoarders (at least the open bottles). Also, they are the perfect height to mix a drink or pour a dram.

I have combined one of these with a set of custom made back lit, wall mounted shelves. This allows me to keep the open bottles on display so I remember to drink them, as well as keeping the top surface of the bar clutter free.

Yo, Jersey!!! You are partaking upon a fool's folly. :D They don't make cabinets for people like us. They make houses with more rooms...or, PODS...:D

:toast:

The best laugh I've had all week and I needed it...as I'm staring while typing at 4 stacks of boxes up to the ceiling and taking up half the wall of the only spare room/study we have because the basement closet and a few other are already full.

Thanks for the suggestions. Right now I'm leaning towards this one. It will (hopefully) be outgrown in a year or two but should fit my needs for now. Anybody have any experience with this brand? I ask as I will have to assemble it and there are a wide range of reviews regarding the ease and time that assembly would take.

http://www.wayfair.com/Crosley-Newport-Expandable-Bar-Cabinet-in-Classic-Cherry-KF40001CCH-CRY1327.html?refid=GX13278896340-CRY1327&gclid=CPuo8Oj9-7ICFcid4Aod-QQAqQ

There was another thread titled "Home bar/Liquor Cabinet" a few years ago. I posted some pics in it then. I'll post them again here for you. I found my cabinet at Big Lots. They had a big buyout of some Broyhill furniture. The server and hutch I bought was originally almost $1600. Big Lots price was $450. Very well made, and holds a lot of bottles. :grin:

post-3455-14489818339225_thumb.jpg

post-3455-14489818339859_thumb.jpg

post-3455-14489818340454_thumb.jpg

There was another thread titled "Home bar/Liquor Cabinet" a few years ago. I posted some pics in it then. I'll post them again here for you. I found my cabinet at Big Lots. They had a big buyout of some Broyhill furniture. The server and hutch I bought was originally almost $1600. Big Lots price was $450. Very well made, and holds a lot of bottles. :grin:

Very nice! It's pretty even empty but much better looking with the bottles.:grin:

For storage of lots of bottles out of sight seems like most people graduate to structurally enhanced armoire's eventually.

Be careful with wire (and similar) shelving units! They can wobble even if you're not in earthquake country, and any bottles near the edge of the shelves are at risk of an expensive leap to the floor.

I use them in my basement, but put bottles into the boxes you can get free from almost any liquor store (I like the dividers). If you ask nicely, stores that usually cut off the box tops can save some with the tops intact.

That's some nice looking cabinet and some beautiful WLW bottles you got down there!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.