Roll Call

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Who amongst us knows the pleasures of a fine cigar? Have you been to heaven and back with your favorite pour and fine stogie? Be it cuban or dominican and everything in between, a good cigar reminds us that we are alive, and that life's pleasures are our's for the taking. Sound off with your favorite herf!

Edited by jeff

Jeff, I know and love good cigars, but I had to swear off of them about 4-5 years ago.

Tim

Tim,

I understand. What was your favorite when you were smoking?

Hmmm, good question. Its hard to remember, now. I seem to have pretty effectively blocked it all out. About all I can remember, now, is that I didn't like Punch.

Right now, I feel pretty silly. blush.gif

Tim

I've got some of Julian's cigar's on the way that you wrote about a while ago. I'm not a cigar smoker (my last was during last years festival and it was one of those fancy Makers Mark ones in the glass tube) but I'm sure it'll be a nice smoke. I plan on trying it with Julian's Rye at his suggestion.

I really love to smoke cigars. Padrón's have always been such a good cigar for the price I usually go with them.

I love to drink bourbon.

I can't do both at the same time. You have heard of the "only smoke when I drink" types... That is the only time I am sure not to smoke a heavy cigar. My stomach can't handle it.

Ugh.

crazy.gif

Hey Jeff,

It's been awhile since, I posted. I have been dealing with an injury to my back. My doctor told me no drinking with the pain medication, so I haven't taken a sip in a while. But I am back! Jeff, I am right now finding, that a light but intense rye goes really well with a cigar. I've been indulging in the Van Winkle 13yr Rye with my cigars. The smokes of choice are cubans and fuller dominicans like AVO Domaine and Signature. Among the cubans the Ramon Allones Specially Selected is good right now. It's a good compromise in flavor between the Partagas Serie D No.4 and Bolivar Royal Corona. The PSD4 are being rolled very loosely right now. It's a bad buy. But lovers of Punch Rare Corojo, should give Bolivar and Monte Cristo a try. toast.gif

Hey everyone! This is one of my first posts here, I just posted a "Howdy Everybody" welcoming post in the Off-Topic room.

I've been smoking cigars for a bunch of years now and enjoy them immensely! Regularly I smoke Fuentes and Padrons, with more and more Habanos entering the picture. My favorite "everyday" smokes include the Padron 5000 Maduro and the Fuente 858 SG. On the weekends I step it up a notch with the OpusX, Anejos, Padron 1964s + 1926s, Hemingways, and the Habanos! I have just gotten into pipes, so I don't really have any favorites on those yet!

As far as bourbon, I am a "newbie" so I don't know a whole lot about whats good and what isn't. Maker's Mark and Knob Creek will be my frist adventures! (c:

-Brian

• 2 months later...

I am an avid cigar smoker (1-2 per day) and I adore tobacco! I have been smoking cigars for the past 10 years; I started when I was 15 smile.gif

One of my favorite pairings is a Punch Maduro Maduro rothschild with two fingers of Booker's and a couple ice cubes. drink.gifbandit.gif Add in some good conversation and I can't think of a better way to spend an evening.

• I like it 1

I'd have to say my favorite pairing consisted of my two....well...favorites. WT rare breed and a Partagas Lusitania. Of course, due to the size of the Lusi I had to refill the glass at least once wink.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I have really enjoyed the Fuente Fuente Opus xXx. Other favorites include the Ashton VSG and Cohiba XV (Extra Viejo).

I am also a big fan of Padron, Perdomo, Onyx Reserve, Leon Jimenes,

La Aroma de Cuba, and La Gloria Cubana. I won't turn down a Bolivar, Romeo y Julieta, H. Upmann, CAO, Partagas or Macanudo either.

Gosh! There are so many good cigars out there these days... Punch,

Don Diego, Montecristo, El Rey del Mundo, Don Tomas, Torano, Dunhill,

Hoyo de Monterrey.............................................

bandit.gifbandit.gifbandit.gifbandit.gifbandit.gifbandit.gifbandit.gif

A Hoyo DC with Weller Centennial(explosion of different flavors)

A Cohiba Esplendido and WTKS (first class conglomeration of tastes)

An RyJ Cazadores and Wathens (pepper and velvet)

An RASCC with Rare Breed(rich, agressive, immediate)

A Partagas Salamone with a long draft of ORVW 15 (oh man!)

A Vegas Robaina Don Alejandro &(sorry!)Highland Park 25 yo

A RyJ Churchill & Buffalo Trace (mellow, like two streams meeting)

A Monte #2 & Weller 12yo (oh my God!)

A Cohiba VI & EC 12yo (about half way into the VI before it kicks with the EC, but then look out!)

A H.Upmann Mag 46 and anything made in Tennessee(strong & tannic!)

A Por Larranaga Lonsdale & Blanton's SE (royalty)

On and on and on, the point being(in my opinion) a great cigar and a whisky are an astoundingly flavorful combination. Even for people that don't normally smoke but enjoy whisky, there are many cigars that truely enhance the flavor experience. It's worth a try, at least once. But do it slowly!

My humidor is filled with mostly La Perla Habanas in both Natural and Maduro, La Gloria Cubanas Serie R, and H Upmann Hamiltons, all of which I purchased over the web at deep discounts in a going out of business sale. When I want a treat with a good bourbon though, I opt for an Opus X (when I can find one), a Diamond Crown, or a Cohiba XV.

I am a pipe smoker. There are more good blends of pipe tobacco than can be named here. I am relatively new to bourbon, and still have a lot of exploring to do as to what mates perfectly with what. So far the blend I am smoking right now (Black Dog, by Cornell & Diehl) goes great with every bourbon I've tried.

Tobacco and whiskey seem made for each other.

Today I paired up a glass of OFBB spring('03) with my very first RAG (Ramone Allones Gigante). A truly classic pairing, probably the best I've experienced so far. laugh.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I almost always pair a fine bourbon with a fine smoke. I particularly like a George T Stagg with a a Cuban Cohiba such as a Lancero . The wonderful chocolate and creamy flavors of that smoke pairs well with the delicious candy like flavors of the Stagg.

• 7 months later...

I am a pipe smoker. There are more good blends of pipe tobacco than can be named here. I am relatively new to bourbon, and still have a lot of exploring to do as to what mates perfectly with what. So far the blend I am smoking right now (Black Dog, by Cornell & Diehl) goes great with every bourbon I've tried.

Tobacco and whiskey seem made for each other.

I am a pipe smoker also and I do enjoy my bourbon in the evening. I recently obtained a tobacco sampler from Three Ten Pipe Shop in Murfreesboro, TN and their 'Baker Steet' tobacco blend goes quite well with my JTS Brown w/water. Sorry folks, just can't handle cigars. Anyone else with observations on pipe tobacco and bourbon?

Ol' John.... deadhorse.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I often smoke a bowl of virginia tobacco, such as McCelland 5100 while sipping bourbon. I really like 5100 with Elijah Craig 12 yr.

• 4 months later...

This is an old thread but I'm a newbie here grin.gif

One of my favorite pairings right now is BT and an Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Maduro. The cigar has chocolate notes and I get a vanilla note from the BT, they pair up great!

On the other hand I can't think of a pairing I didn't enjoy yum.gif

Mike

Welcome Mike!

I have enjoyed many cigars with Buffalo Trace. I think their style of bourbon lends itself to cigar pairings. If you can, try matching a Macanudo gold label with a generous pour of Stagg or Eagle Rare 17yo yum.gifbandit.gif

Jeff,

Stagg is next on my list of Pick-ups. I have not smoked a Mac gold in a while. Guess I'll pick one of those up while I'm at it.

Mike

• 2 months later...

New to the board here. I lean towards the Nicaraguan cigars, and I'm a Maduro fan. A CAO Maduro is my favorite with a Cuban Crafter Cabinet Selection a close runnerup. For a powerhouse combination, try a Sancho Panza Extra Fuerte and some Knob Creek. Guraanteed to knock your socks off. Just don't try it on an empty stomach.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.