Roll Call

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm happy to admit that in addition to enjoying Bourbon I also like to smoke good cigars. I have a fairly large collection of both and come the weekend, I'm "Livin Large" with my favorite pour and a good stogie.

Joe usflag.gif

• 1 month later...

I too enjoy a good cigar now and then. So far my favorite combinations have been Hampton Bay Macanudo w/ EWSB '95 and a Fuente Hemmingway w/ RR101.

I picked up some short Davidoff perfectos in DC and am chomping at the bit to try one, possibly with either the BMH 11 yr or the Van Winkle Lot B that I also picked up down there.

For the money, I'm finding it hard to beat the Occidental Reserve Maduros. $4 a stick up here, and they smoke like a $9 stick. I also have an AVO limited edition (not sure what they're called - yearly AVO release with no band) that I've been told is superb, and I cannot wait to try that either.

• 1 month later...

after lots of experimentation over that last year and half I have found many wonderful combinations, but the three most sublime may just be these:

a Partgas Series D #4 & (the alas soon to be discontinued frown.gif ) Russells Reserve.

a Hoyo Epicure #2 (my favorite Stogie) and Weller 19 year

and a simple sweet non pretentious combo of a Sancho Panza Double Maduro and Ancient Ancient Age Ten Year Mmmmmm. . .

TomC

• 1 month later...

I smoke cigars much more often than I drink Bourbon. But when I do, Knob Creek and an El Rico Habano, or a La Gloria Cubano. Fuente Sungrown Double Chateau works well with MM. But then I haven't found an unpleasant pairing yet.

If this works, here a pic of some smokes. I've scaled back a bit since I took this. Now they're all in the humi so I could get the coolers out of the house.

Humidor pic.

• 2 months later...

I really enjoy a Monte white carona and Rare Breed or a ERDM (El Rey Del Mundo) rectanglares and a Rip 12yr B. Really just about any good bourbon is enhanced by a good cigar.

Two ills my wife will never let forget how much I have spent in the last month.

grin.gif

Chuck

I have a Monte white robusto, or whatever they call it, at home and just so happens a bottle of RB too!

I know what I'm doing this Saturday!

• 1 month later...

Hi - I'm new here but I do love a good cigar and a glass of bourbon!

I find Havanas go best with bourbon because they're fuller bodied and don't get overshadowed by the alcohol.

Romeo y Julietas, Partagas or H. Upmann would be my choices to go with a glass of Buffalo Trace, Woodford Reserve, or Rockhill Farms!

I also like a nice Scotch with a cigar, but this isn't straightscotch.com!

Slightly OT, I'm in Canada and find it interesting how many of you smoke Havanas! Must be hard to get them down there!

Hey Spirit,

Yes, very hard (and illegal) to get them. I sure wish we'd bury the hatchet with Cuba so we could have ready access to them like you guys.

Joe

Welcome to Straightbourbon.com!

My favorite combination is a Montecristo #2 and a healthy pour of 2002 Stagg. Of course that's only when I'm traveling abroad:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I guess I am the exception, my palate just does not care for alcohol with cigars. Dark-roast coffee with a cigar is more to my taste. Favorite cigar, when I decide to splurge a bit, is a Partagas Spanish Rosado. Otherwise, everyday smokes are something from the JR Ultimate line, Montecristo, or Don Diego.

everyday smokes are something from the JR Ultimate line, Montecristo.

Gee, your everyday smokes are my favorites. I could not afford these as everyday smokes.

Joe :usflag:

At most I most 2 per day in the summer. Usually, I smoke about 3-5 per week and those are fairly small sticks...petit coronas, coronas, or robustos. The petit corona for the three brands I listed all run about $2.50 to $3.00 a piece via JR Cigars.

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoy 2-3 good cigars a week. Favorites: Bolivar Petit Corrona, Ramon Allones Special Selected, Gurka Anceint Warrior, CAO Brazillia GO, and La Gloria Cubana Seire R #5. Although I'm new to bourbon, so far I like Knob Creek, Bookers, and WT 101. As far as smoking good cigars with good bourbon? I think done together they can be counter productive. It seems to me that nuances of both can be overpowered. I've found that a cup of good fresh ground coffee enhances the taste of a cigar, but bourban is best enjoyed by itself.

• 1 month later...

Its touch and go with me. Some whiskey (say Elijah Craig 18) seem born to be drank with a fine stogie, whilst other stand better on their owm\n. Overall I tend to think exploration cannot hurt ;-)

TomC

I like a good cigar, and I love bourbon. I found that I can't have them together, though, for my stomach heartily objects. Forced to choose between the two, I found myself always just going for the bourbon. It's a lot more convenient, and, well, I just love bourbon.

That said, I thought that a good spicy maduro cigar went really nicely with WTRR, or Bulleit. OGD 114 was another good cigar bourbon (it's good for everything, imo).

A milder cigar is nice with a wheater- kind of like dessert for the smoker / drinker. These were nice for summer evenings in NC (I miss southern summer evenings a lot right now), sitting out on the patio/deck, chatting away with good company.

Great. Now I'm getting homesick.

That said, I thought that a good spicy maduro cigar went really nicely with WTRR, or Bulleit. OGD 114 was another good cigar bourbon (it's good for everything, imo).

A milder cigar is nice with a wheater- kind of like dessert for the smoker / drinker.

Great. Now I'm getting homesick.

I dont think the search for finding the right combinations can be overstated. The wrong combinations have come of awful to me, but when done correctly, a good bourbon stogie pairing verges on the sublime! I agree the 114 makes a fabulous go to stogie bourbon as well, I have enjoyed it on many an occasion with the likes of PSD 4's or a La Flor Dominicana double ligero. Do you have any suggestions to pair with a wheater, as I have found most of what I own to overpower them to an extent?

TomC

I dont think the search for finding the right combinations can be overstated. The wrong combinations have come of awful to me, but when done correctly, a good bourbon stogie pairing verges on the sublime! I agree the 114 makes a fabulous go to stogie bourbon as well, I have enjoyed it on many an occasion with the likes of PSD 4's or a La Flor Dominicana double ligero. Do you have any suggestions to pair with a wheater, as I have found most of what I own to overpower them to an extent?

TomC

My taste is is more to the full bodied smoke also, but I think a good match with a wheater would be a Short Story, or maybe an ERDM Choix Supreme.

Seemed to work the other evening.

Short Story and BOTY (Weller)

• 1 month later...

I love a good cigar, but I haven't had many of them over the past few years. My absolute favorite when I can get them is a Cuban Montecristo #2, the torpedo. I really love them. Primarily now for my smoking purposes I'll just have a Dunhill Cigarette. The tobacco is a high grade and closer to cigar quality.

I was talking with one of the Torano reps several years back in a buddy of mines Cigar shop...he said to watch out over the next couple years..that they had been aging some special tobacco and working on some different blends...WOW!...most know now that they had several cigars (Exodus,reserva, 1916 cameroon etc.) that hit the market that had ratings from 90-93! Some cigar companies NEVER achieve ratings like that. Anyway, I like them paired with many different pours..especially ones in the 90-94 proof range. My favorite a 1916 cameroon churchill, Jefferson Reserve/Rocks!

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I go for a mild to medium cigar like Macanudo, Arturo Fuente 8-9-8, Romeo y Julieta maduro; but I find that my favorite changes every few months. It seems my palate needs a little variety, and the same thing happens with coffee and whiskey. Right now I'm smoking a lot of H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon 7 x 47. A whiskey is nice. Like my Dad told his doctor, "I like a cigar with my whiskey, and you wouldn't want me to give up my whiskey would you?"

• 8 months later...

I actually perfer the cheapies. I buy by the box and usually won't spend more than 45-50 bucks! I've had expensive cigars, they are good, but a $2.00 cigar tickles my fancy. :grin:

Brian-

have you tried some of the on line sources, they often have unbanded seconds and over runs from the major names. I have found some of their house brands to very good, one I have ordered from is..

http://www.jrcigars.com search for bundles

Their house brand is...

http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=cigars&brand=JR%20ALTERNATIVE

MissinER101, thanks for the links! I put those in my favorites and will be buying some bundles from them!

I used to buy from

bestcigarprices.com

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.