OYO 100% Wheat

Ruination
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I ran across a bottle of OYO Whiskey made from "100% red winter wheat." It's a small distillery near Columbus, OH. Has anyone tried this before, or any of their other products? They make vodka, vanilla vodka, and stonefruit vodka as well. It was $45 for the bottle. I passed on it today, because I've never tasted a wheat whiskey before. Is it against forum rules to post a link?

Doesn't look like anyone's had an awful lot to say about it, but...

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?15430-Another-Wheat-whiskey

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?18060-OYO-Red-Winter-Wheat-Whiskey-from-Middle-West-Spirits

I haven't felt the need to spend that much on unreviewed product (could taste like hamster cage stuffing for all i know), but can say i went from seeing once at TPS, asking the staff only to get a "we have no idea, it's brand new" response to now seeing in three additional shops in Louisville, KY.

You should just head to the distillery. Could be fun and with any luck they have samples of it. You're what, a little over an hour away?

It's OK to post link to bourbon sites and things like that or articles. Just don't post links to EBay or Craig's list or things like that.

You should just head to the distillery. Could be fun and with any luck they have samples of it. You're what, a little over an hour away?

Yeah, I'm about an hour away. I will definitely stop by the distillery the next time I'm over that way.

I saw it in a Mansfield liquor store a few months back, but passed on it. That's the only time I can recall seeing it.

• 7 months later...

On a whim, Kristin grabbed a bottle of OYOs new "bourbon." That's what they call it, at any rate. Supposedly a blend of rye based KY bourbon and their own wheat whiskey. Somehow that makes this a wheated bourbon, so they say. Anyhow, will try and not hold all of that against it too much and just give it a try later.

On a whim, Kristin grabbed a bottle of OYOs new "bourbon." That's what they call it, at any rate. Supposedly a blend of rye based KY bourbon and their own wheat whiskey. Somehow that makes this a wheated bourbon, so they say. Anyhow, will try and not hold all of that against it too much and just give it a try later.

That the "blacked out" bottle?

Yup that's the one. Handsome enough presentation, for whatever that's worth.

I wonder if 100% wheat whiskey is a good source of fiber. :)

If you use it to mix your tablespoon of Metamucil with, I'm sure it is. :grin:

So, they bring in a bulk shipment, add 'some' of their make and call the final product theirs? Actually, I've got no problem with that if the flavor is good, the price is right and there's full disclosure. I do draw a line though at paying a premium for ordinary, misrepresented stuff.

Pretty much. Flavor isn't actually bad at all. Reminds me of EWSB, truthfully. At a $20 premium, that is. :rolleyes:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.