10 yr old Bulleit

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I checked out SKU's blog, and was also pleasantly surprized to see the application for Old Forester BIB single barrel. Will we see either of these on shelves? :shocked: Maybe. I hope so!

Not sure. Haven't seen the 10yr Bulleit. Is it even out yet?

I think the Bulleit uses two of the 4R recipes though. No?

I am interested in trying this, but not at $50. That is almost double the price of the regular Bulleit... seems excesive, especially when this one is only 90 proof as well

I have never heard what the recipe is from anyone that would know,....not saying that you wouldn't know,....I'm just trying to avoid a war of words between you and me because Ox has been working overtime during the campaign season:slappin:

All I have ever heard that 4R's distills and ages the bourbon for them.

4R likes the arrangment because it keeps the stills cooking and the rick houses full.

But if 4R needs the space on the ricks then Bulliet is out-of-luck.

Fair enough, I'll just go and delete the whole whiskey tree then. And wipe from my mind the years of posts mentioning this.

Anybody know anything about this?

What do you know about it, i.e., where did you get the picture?

Other than here, I haven't heard anything about this. Lazer's guess is a good one.

If I remember correctly, Bulleit bourbon is a mixture of several, perhaps all five, of the recipes that use the high-rye mash bill. It may be mostly OBSV, but not entirely. I'm not 100% sure, which is in the nature of the Bulleit (Diageo)/Four Roses relationship. Everybody gets real touchy when you try to talk about it. There have been a lot of things that seemed to be settled wisdom, then I say something to Jim Rutledge, or Al Young, or Tom Bulleit, or somebody in brand management at Diageo, and I'm told I'm wrong. I don't like to be told I'm wrong. Usually I'm told I'm wrong and the right answer is a secret.

Supposedly, Diageo's production deal with 4R/Kirin, made at the time of the sale in late 2001, was such that the deal would shift over the years from aged whiskey to new make and the overall volume would decline as well. I'm pretty confident that outline has been confirmed. It's what we were told when 4R was slowly rolling out to the whole U.S. The reason they had to go so slow was because they only had so much whiskey to sell as 4R each year, but each year they got more because of the deal with Diageo scaling down. Four Roses is now throughout the USA and still growing, and they are one of the few distilleries that hasn't significantly grown their production capacity, so something doesn't add up.

If that's not Bulleit in the warhouses at Stitzel, then what is it? They don't sell that much I. W. Harper in Japan.

I also thought that was a ten year deal, which means that there has been a subsequent contract if that's true.

It's like with the non-distillers who won't reveal their sources. I just get bored with trying to get to the bottom of it. There are definitely some non-disclosure agreements in place. It seems as though the people who know won't tell and the people who will tell don't know.

How much Bulleit is aging at Cox's Creek and how much is aging at Stitzel? Is bourbon made other than at 4R (e.g., Brown-Forman) going into Bulleit?

Nobody should be fighting about this stuff because I think the bottom line is, as we say in Chicago, nobody knows nuthin.

Edited by cowdery

They use OBSV for Bulleit, I believe.

A crowd pleaser recipe. I've had some wonderful OBSV bottles. Honey barrels with lots of cherry notes. Damn tasty whiskey. I should just stick with Four Roses. But like any good single barrel they vary

where did you get the picture?

Lazer's guess is a good one.

Four Roses is now throughout the USA and still growing, and they are one of the few distilleries that hasn't significantly grown their production capacity, so something doesn't add up.

1. good question

2. thank you

3. According to JR in his interview with David D over at spirits journal FR is selling whiskey in America that was originally planed to be sold in southern Europe (Greece, Italy, Spain), but their economy is bad now and people aren't buying as much bourbon as FR planned on when they distilled it, so.... they are selling it in the US instead. That's how you can increase USA sales without increasing production. :cool:

LDI Whiskey. Also, pretty sure Four Roses has not produced Bulleit in some time.

Label says KSBW. It's not from Indiana.

LDI Whiskey. Also, pretty sure Four Roses has not produced Bulleit in some time.

Come on, Rob, stop being so opaque. What do you know?

The Rye is LDI, that much we know, but the Bourbon is Kentucky, as stated on the label. Is it B-F, or is Diageo buying OGD recipe? If you're pretty sure it's not FR, then who? Are you guys now doing a high-Rye?

For whatever it's worth, or not, the label says "distilled in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky." at least the one I'm pouring from tonight. Unless someone can produce something other than rumor and innuendo I'm going to assume that it's being made at 4R and aged at S/W.

I got the picture where all important information is acquired these days: on Twitter. A barmaid in NO was apparently enjoying a pour and posted a picture. Other than that I know nothing. Hadn't even heard about it.

-Mike

Diageo swears that every drop of Bulleit Bourbon is distilled at Four Roses. No one will say anything to the contrary on the record, so all we are left with is speculation and innuendo. I'm skeptical but not in any position to be more than that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.