10 yr old Bulleit

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Fair enough, I'll just go and delete the whole whiskey tree then. And wipe from my mind the years of posts mentioning this.

Sorry Dude, you can't delete anything after an hour so it's all still there.:cool:

But seriously, is that the recipe?

I think I'll get a bottle of Bulleit 10yo, it wouldn't be the dumbest thing I ever did.

FWIW, at the Bulleit Experience at Stitzwl-Weller (or whatever the hell they call it), they state in writing that their bourbon is aged in one-story rickhouses. That means FR... unless Diageo has built some elsewhere.

post-812-14489818410208_thumb.jpg

And yet the picture is a Stitzel-Weller warehouse which is not single story. Also, the warehouses at Dickel are similar to the ones at Cox's Creek (Four Roses). The bottom line is, you can't take anything Diageo tells you very seriously.

• 3 weeks later...

I had quite a few pours of this last night at a relative's house (Diageo employee). It's obviously 4R. At $50 and 90 proof, you'd be silly not to get a similarly aged barrel proof non-chillfiltered Party Source single barrel, but it's nice to see someone moving toward age statements and not away.

As a 4R-phile, I was hoping to be impressed, but wasn't. Tastes a bit thin at 90-ish proof, at least the one I had. For something that's trumpeting its extra age, it doesn't show much extra age. Tasted like 4RSB with too much water or after an ice cube melted.

In other words, nothing special.

Though to me the $50 price point for this says not that the Bulleit 10 is overpriced, but that 4R retailer private selection single barrels are one of the great deals in bourbon.

I had quite a few pours of this last night at a relative's house (Diageo employee).

Watch out for black SUV's following you. :skep:

They were bottling Bulleit at the 4R bottling facility when we were there in October. They were rolling barrels off a truck and the Warehouse Manager told us it was Bulleit. One thing that surprised me was the fact that a few of the barrels coming off the truck were completely empty & being set aside. I had no idea that there are some barrels that go empty in the warehouses.

The 10-year old is not on the Florida List of Southern Wine & Spirits.

They were bottling Bulleit at the 4R bottling facility when we were there in October. They were rolling barrels off a truck and the Warehouse Manager told us it was Bulleit. One thing that surprised me was the fact that a few of the barrels coming off the truck were completely empty & being set aside. I had no idea that there are some barrels that go empty in the warehouses.

Just a guess, but the empties may have been getting used as placeholders, so the truck would be full from front to back or something like that.

Just a guess, but the empties may have been getting used as placeholders, so the truck would be full from front to back or something like that.

Actually, I asked and the Warehouse Manager told me that they do run into them from time to time and that they bring them in on the truck so that they can credit their taxes for the empties.

Actually, I asked and the Warehouse Manager told me that they do run into them from time to time and that they bring them in on the truck so that they can credit their taxes for the empties.

All this implies that empty barrels are ending up in the ricks. Why the hell would anybody do that John?

Joe :usflag:

They were bottling Bulleit at the 4R bottling facility when we were there in October. They were rolling barrels off a truck and the Warehouse Manager told us it was Bulleit.

Barrels marked BB 6 yr waiting to be dumped at FR Cox Creek warehouse his spring. I didn't ask, because I didn't think I would get a straight answer.

post-3137-14489818441899_thumb.jpg

post-3137-1448981844249_thumb.jpg

Barrels marked BB 6 yr waiting to be dumped at FR Cox Creek warehouse his spring. I didn't ask, because I didn't think I would get a straight answer.

Nice. One more reason why I love SB.com.

All this implies that empty barrels are ending up in the ricks. Why the hell would anybody do that John?

More than likely the whiskey had evaporated. The guys pulling them probably do not account for them and the best way is run them through the system so they can be accounted for. All barrels do not evaporate equally I have found.

Barrels leak. Story in Whiskey Advocate recently about leak finders/fixers at BT, I believe. Guessing 4R has no leak finders/fixers. I asked about that and was told that they lose so few to leaks that it's less expensive than hiring leak finders. Come on back over, Joe ... there's plenty left for you and a couple of new ones on the way in. 4R, Willett, Jefferson & KC. Waiting on you!

Did you actually see them bottling Bulleit? Did you see Bulleit bottles on the line? If you saw them taking barrels for Bulleit off a truck 'for bottling,' that could mean they were to be dumped into totes and shipped to a Diageo bottling facility.

Did you actually see them bottling Bulleit? Did you see Bulleit bottles on the line? If you saw them taking barrels for Bulleit off a truck 'for bottling,' that could mean they were to be dumped into totes and shipped to a Diageo bottling facility.

No. I did not see them actually bottling Bulleit. See pictures of barrels coming off of truck (those are the empties stacked beside the truck - not all from that truck) and the Warehouse Manager (Female Pictured) told the guy she's standing next to that they were Bulleit. That .. plus the fact that this is the bottling plant .. so ... no .. I didn't see them put them in bottles. Lordy, is this a "gotcha" moment? :hot:post-8598-14489818451728_thumb.jpg

post-8598-14489818451488_thumb.jpg

No. I did not see them actually bottling Bulleit. See pictures of barrels coming off of truck (those are the empties stacked beside the truck - not all from that truck) and the Warehouse Manager (Female Pictured) told the guy she's standing next to that they were Bulleit. That .. plus the fact that this is the bottling plant .. so ... no .. I didn't see them put them in bottles. Lordy, is this a "gotcha" moment? :hot:[ATTACH=CONFIG]14535[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]14536[/ATTACH]

Speaking for myself, it's hard to believe because it doesn't make a lot of sense for them to bottle Bulleit there. That bottling line is pretty small and low-tech. If they were aging them at the warehouse, they could have brought them in to dump them, then pumped them into tanker trucks (or something) and sent them off to a Diageo bottling plant. That makes more sense to me then doing the actual bottling there.

Not trying to 'gotcha' anybody, just trying to nail down what the evidence actually shows. Like Josh, I don't think they're bottling Bulleit at Cox's Creek. What you saw and were told was all true. It's Bulleit Bourbon that has been pulled from the warehouse to be bottled, but not there. It probably will be dumped there and shipped, in totes or a tanker, somewhere for bottling, probably Plainfield, Illinois.

I don't doubt Diageo when they say that Bulleit Bourbon is made at Four Roses. I just doubt that it's all made there. I also believe some of the Bulleit distilled at Four Roses is tankered to Stitzel-Weller as new make, and barreled and aged there.

The thing about aging bourbon is that wherever it goes into the warehouse, you really want to leave it there until it's ready to be dumped. Whiskey does get moved in barrels but that's to be avoided because it's expensive and bad things can happen to it. So if you saw some 6-year-old Bulleit at Cox's Creek, that means that in 2006 when it was made, it either wasn't then designated for Bulleit, or for some logistical reason Diageo arranged for it to be aged there. Of those, the former is more likely.

Edited by cowdery

OK Chuck I haven't asked a dumb question in a while what are totes? I tried looking it up in the dictionary no help.

OK Chuck I haven't asked a dumb question in a while what are totes? I tried looking it up in the dictionary no help.

Shipping containers, available in different sizes. Generally plastic, sometimes stainless steel. Smallest ones are like 100 gallons, largest are 500 gallons. Unless you're buying spirits by the tank-truck load, which is in the thousands of gallons, your shipments will probably come in totes. Whiskey is usually only shipped in the barrel if the intention is to keep aging it.

• 5 weeks later...

Shanken News Daily email clears up the Bulleit 10 mystery ... it's coming soon!

From email: Cut & Paste

[h=2]Diageo To Roll Out Bulleit 10[/h]Impact “Hot Prospect” Bulleit Bourbon is set to be extended with a higher-proof, higher-priced offshoot, Bulleit 10. The new 10-year-old Bulleit expression is 91.2-proof (the core brand is 90-proof) and will retail for around $45 a bottle, approximately $20 higher than the core brand, depending on the market. It’s expected to hit shelves this month.

Bulleit 10, which will compete with upscale Maker’s Mark extension Maker’s 46, among other ultra-premium Bourbons, follows Bulleit’s introduction of a straight rye whiskey by a little over a year.

I'm thinking the same thing unless it's good enough to justify the price. Look forward to tasting it and we can get some comparisons ..

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.