10 yr old Bulleit

scratchline
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

$20 more for an extra 1.2 proof seems a little absurd. I guess they think it will sell on the 10 year age statement.

$20 more for an extra 1.2 proof seems a little absurd. I guess they think it will sell on the 10 year age statement.

That it even has an age statement these days seems to be getting noteworthy.

Picked up a bottle today. $45 and change. Based on the info on the packaging, the place of distillation is clear..."Distilled by the Bulleit Distilling Co. --in Lawrenceburg, KY-... The box packaging is nice...and worthy of at least a $2 up-charge...:D

Can't wait to hear some SB opinions on this. I've read a few reviews on it, but most were from bloggers I just don't trust. :skep:

Can't wait to hear some SB opinions on this. I've read a few reviews on it, but most were from bloggers I just don't trust. :skep:

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a bottle yesterday and am having my first pour tonight. It's a little thin going in, perhaps a bit too much water added to bring it to proof, and is very smooth. If you down it right away, you'll miss everything. Swirl it in your mouth for awhile and all the flavors come out and the finish shows up as well. Very good, definately comes across as a FR bourbon. I'm not sure it's worth $50, but it's good bourbon. I'd put it in the "be careful...you can drink a lot of this very easily" category.

Just showed up on the Moco online inventory but no stock as of yet. Priced at $37.95. Will give it a try once it shows up and report back. I imagine itll go on sale at some point for the low 30s range.

Picked up a bottle today. $45 and change. Based on the info on the packaging, the place of distillation is clear..."Distilled by the Bulleit Distilling Co. --in Lawrenceburg, KY-... The box packaging is nice...and worthy of at least a $2 up-charge...:D

WELL!!! What say you? Or did u just buy it for the box?

WELL!!! What say you? Or did u just buy it for the box?

Yo Kev, I just haven't spent much time with it, doing all of that serious tastin' stuff, and all. But, I sleep with the box every night...It's so purdy...:cool: I'll get busy with it...uh, the whiskey that is...and report in!

Yo Kev, I just haven't spent much time with it, doing all of that serious tastin' stuff, and all. But, I sleep with the box every night...It's so purdy...:cool: I'll get busy with it...uh, the whiskey that is...and report in!

You get busy with a box. Huh huh. Huh huh. Thats pretty cool Beavis.

You get busy with a box. Huh huh. Huh huh. Thats pretty cool Beavis.

Oh, I see now...Yikes! :blush: I can see where you're going with that......I'm afraid you took it a little more literally than I intended. My bad. :crazy:

I can tell you with 100% certainty that BB is NOT bottled at the Cox's Creek facility. The only products bottled at CC are FR products.

Oh, I see now...Yikes! :blush: I can see where you're going with that......I'm afraid you took it a little more literally than I intended. My bad. :crazy:

I agree. If this is 10 year old, 90ish proof Four Roses juice, and it's good, the price really isn't so out of whack. I wouldn't drink a lot of it but I'd drink it. We get both other Bulleit products here. I hope we get this too although I'd rather have FR on the shelves.

Picked up a bottle last night. About $45. Not really my favorite flavor profile. Somewhat citrusy, not much vanilla or caramel. Kind of interesting to try something new, but I won't buy it again.

Craig

It's not really what matters to us here, but the box presentation makes it a nice gift. I also take the point that, with so many producers dropping age statements, it's nice to see somebody add one.

I just got back from lunch with Tom Bulleit and he mentioned that Bulleit Rye has been a huge success, outselling Bulleit Bourbon in some markets, and that sales overall have finally gotten to the point where they're getting serious attention from Diageo.

For anyone in Chicago, he'll be behind the bar at Delilah's tonight.

I think this is a good way to look at it. But ...

Retail "private" 4R single barrel expressions (OE/B-F/S/K/O/Q) tend to retail at $50-55 and are barrel proof. Most tend to be 8-11 years. So while I agree that the price is not "out of whack" ... it's really just not worth it for anyone who has easy access to 4R single expressions. And those who do -- and know 4R well -- can only be disappointed by this.

Vosgar is also right, if a bit too polite: thin, thin, thin.

If you've got a credit card and internet access, just get some single barrel, age stated, single recipe 4R "private selections" from Party Source or similar. 4R drinks so well at barrel proof -- whether relatively low or high -- that it's a travesty to water it down to the 90s. But if you can't, for whatever reason, get 4R shipped to you, this is a watery half-decent equivalent.

I couldn't agree more Pop. You make an excellent point. With uncut, unfiltered, FR's SB's available at several large, shipping liquor houses, and lots of small stores also, why pay $50 for filtered, cut Four Roses.?

FFinally got to taste it today, I liked it. It was kinda fruity and dry. I try not to pick apart bourbon solely on the basis of QPR or else I would only have a small variety to choose from. Im not gonna buy more than a bottle at a time but its definitely worth a pour rrom time to time The "spirits expert" for the distributor was proud to tell me that the bourbon isn't sourced. "it's ll made at the bullet distillery". I just laughed and told em there was no such place and he said "yes there is, my brother was just there" I suggested that it may have been "the bullet experience". People are so cute :rolleyes:

I think this is a good way to look at it. But ...

If you've got a credit card and internet access, just get some single barrel, age stated, single recipe 4R "private selections" from Party Source or similar. 4R drinks so well at barrel proof -- whether relatively low or high -- that it's a travesty to water it down to the 90s. But if you can't, for whatever reason, get 4R shipped to you, this is a watery half-decent equivalent.

While I don't excpect to be buying Bulleit 10, it's easy to forget that there are many states, including Texas, that Binny's, et.al. can't and won't ship to.

• 1 month later...
Did you actually see them bottling Bulleit? Did you see Bulleit bottles on the line? If you saw them taking barrels for Bulleit off a truck 'for bottling,' that could mean they were to be dumped into totes and shipped to a Diageo bottling facility.

• 2 weeks later...
Did you ask him where it's aged?

LOL! No. There were a couple of old Seagram facilities in Maryland. One was in Baltimore, I think. They bottled it at the other one. I'll ask in April when we visit for a barrel pick. But, you will recall that I saw them bringing the barrels in to the Cox's Creek bottling facility .. so .. surely it's Kentucky with their other FR barrels. Didn't someone post a picture of a barrel head? That might hold the answer. We do know that Rutledge raves about Kentucky weather as being as good as it gets for aging bourbon.

Last night I poured FR Yellow Label next to Bulleit. The only difference seems to be 80 proof vs 90 proof. Blind .. it would be a challenge to pick one over the other.

!

I tasted the B10 last week in Tallahassee, and would take the 4R YL over it even if they were the same price point. For a difference of 2.3X, it's a no brainer for me, even accounting for proof.

Four Roses Yellow Label is apparently being bottled by Proximo in Lawrenceburg, IN, so you never know.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.