Jefferson's Presidential Rye Select 21

luther.r
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The new owners of Anchor are as different from Maytag as they could be. It's now a business with zero passion.

• 3 months later...

Reviving this thread from Luther since Eric posted with picture that this JPS21 rye is coming.

Anyone has more information or history of the barrels.

That Hotaling's is my white whale of rye. Makes Saz 18 look as easy to pick up as Bud Lite.

I've tried emailing Anchor to see if they even release it anymore, but have never gotten a reply.

My understanding is that an 18yo version has been released and is out there in very limited quantities for reportedly something approaching $200 per.

At least one bottle has been acquired by an SBer. I have not been so lucky so far.

My understanding is that an 18yo version has been released and is out there in very limited quantities for reportedly something approaching $200 per.

At least one bottle has been acquired by an SBer. I have not been so lucky so far.

I got one, been waiting to crack it open on an evening with a fresh palate and time to properly savor; will provide notes here when I do.

Back to the original topic- just noticed that the Jefferson's poster in another thread showed the coming 21 yo rye as being from American stock. This is contrary to the earlier rumors that had it as "North American", which many (including me) took to mean as Canadian.

I truly wonder whose barrels they got of that age? Maybe some old LDI? Hard to believe Rittenhouse would have let some away unless it was not up to par.

time will soon tell.

Back to the original topic- just noticed that the Jefferson's poster in another thread showed the coming 21 yo rye as being from American stock. This is contrary to the earlier rumors that had it as "North American", which many (including me) took to mean as Canadian.

I truly wonder whose barrels they got of that age? Maybe some old LDI? Hard to believe Rittenhouse would have let some away unless it was not up to par.

time will soon tell.

Could be North American is more specific of "American"

Could be North American is more specific of "American"

Ahh, I didn't think that way! Maybe even some fine 21yo Mexican rye :)

time will soon tell.

MGPI did find lots of old barrels they sold to their best customers after purchasing LDI and doing a full hand count inventory.

• 2 weeks later...

MGPI did have many barrels of OLD Rye (and bourbons) they let go of when they acquired LDI. I have personally seen and tasted 2 of them, and they were distilled in 1978. Yes, thats not a typo, they are 35 years old. Oaked as hell, but putting 35 years one the label would probably command an insane price.

Always a possibility that JPS rye is some of this older LDI juice. I personally think its going to be a blend of the LDI barrels and some Canadian barrels.

35 year old rye?! That must have been an OAK monster. I'd love to get that in my mouth. Thanks for the info...

35 year old rye?! That must have been an OAK monster. I'd love to get that in my mouth. Thanks for the info...

There's so many ways one could go with that... =]b

I was thinking along the lines of suckling at Venus' teat, but I can see how some could be confused ;)

I would agree with your thinking as I've had plenty of rye 18-25yrs. old but 35yrs. would be something I love to try even it be only once,the impact of the oak is probably incomprehensible,but damn would I like to find out.

I personally hate a mouthful of wood

Speaking from experience, eh? ;)

Extraction from the wood must essentially end at some point in the aging process. I would assume a logarithmic tapering that flat-lines at or before 18 years (thick barrels may have more to impart than thin barrels). After that, there's only the concentration factor due to evaporation, offset at some point by precipitation of flavoring compounds. So, I doubt a 35yo would be much different from a 25yo as a rule, other than the natural variability between barrels.

Edited by MauiSon

I would agree with your thinking as I've had plenty of rye 18-25yrs. old but 35yrs. would be something I love to try even it be only once,the impact of the oak is probably incomprehensible,but damn would I like to find out.

I've tried the Alberta Premium 30yr and even though it was aged in used casks, the oak dominated the stage and the rye notes were in the background. I don't think there are many super-old ryes around for a reason - although the Rittenhouse 21 rye was well reviewed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.