Rye tasting in Cincinnati, OH

Beer&Bourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Howdy all! I haven't been posting lately, but it's been about a year since the last whiskey tasting so I thought I'd plan another.

In addition to whiskey folks, I've invited Cincinnati beer folks as well.

The plan:

Saturday, January 5th starting around 4 pm going until midnight or so.

I'll arrange the tasting to compare similar products depending on what we have. I plan to try 4 rye whiskeys side-by-side with several breaks for food/water. My wife and I will have chicken tortilla soup as well as crockpot meatballs. We'd like people to bring a dish or some sort - rye whiskey related dishes would be even better. I've listed the ryes that I'll offer as well as the ones I'd like to see there. I'm requesting that everyone bring at least one bottle to share. I have a bunch of snifters, but if you'd like better whiskey glasses, please bring your own.

Ryes I have:

VWFRR

2012 Saz 18

WT 101

Rittenhouse BiB 100

HW Rendezvous (Barton 16 yr + 6 yr LDI)

Bulleit

Pendleton 1910 Canadian rye

Other ryes I'd like to see there:

Fleischman's Rye (Barton product; should be getting this from a WI friend)

Whistle Pig [$74]

Jefferson's 10 year [$25]

Baby Sazerac [$27]

BTAC Handy [$70]

Willett 4 year [$38]

Smooth Ambler Old Scout Rye [$38] - Scott K. will bring this

HW Double Rye [$34]

E.H. Taylor Rye [$68]

Knob Creek Rye [$35]

Only available in Canada (as far as I know) - one of the beer guys is working on these:

Alberta Premium (5, 25, or 30 year) [$22-50]

Alberta Spring [$22]

Lot 40 [$38]

Please let me know if you plan on coming, which whiskey you'll bring, and an idea of what type of dish you'll bring. Prices listed above are TPS prices or Canadian whiskey blog prices. (You're welcome to bring unlisted whiskey as well; just add them above - try to avoid a ton of similar aged LDI ryes though.) Also, we have a few places to crash in the house so let me know if you intend on staying overnight. I'll send PMs with my address and other information as the date draws nearer. Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving!

Roger

Sounds great, as long as the weather cooperates Barb and I will be thre.

I'll bring a HW21 YO and a 2006 Handy and if I've got a few open ryes at the time, I'll bring 1 or 2 with me too.

Look forward to seeing everyone again.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Roger , I am 90% in for the tasting. Good to see you back on even just a little bit. Let me confirm I won't e out I town and I will pick a thing or two up from your list.

Would love to attend but don't know work schedule that far ahead. Have been working 10 hour days, 6 days a week. Will let you know closer to the date!

Thomas

I am off that Saturday so I'll tentatively offer to pitch in. Will discuss with the wife and go from there.

I am off that Saturday so I'll tentatively offer to pitch in. Will discuss with the wife and go from there.

We can have a Smart car caravan from Indy <G>

There's actually 2 of those things in Indy??

:lol: The wife is in, so it's on. Outta the way, we're comin' through!

...as the swarm (of Smart cars) descends on Cincinnati. My program just got a 1 gallon coffee carafe; I'll try to get that so we can make sure the booze doesn't put anyone to sleep. It looks like we'll have at least 3-4 beer guys there as well. I'm interested to see the differences in opinions among the different groups. Unfortunately I don't know any scotch people - with the love that ryes get among scotch drinkers, I'd be interested to see what they prefer as well.

Anyway, I'll update that list when more people let me know what they're bringing so we don't have too much overlap. Cheers!

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Roger,

I plan on attending, provided the weather cooperates. Not sure of my bottle line up right now, but will let you know.

An updated list of what people are bringing and what is still available.

Ryes I have:

VWFRR

2012 Saz 18

WT 101

Rittenhouse BiB 100

Bulleit

Whistle Pig [$74]

Baby Sazerac [$27]

BTAC Handy [$70] - TomH

Willett 4 year [$38] - Adam H.

Smooth Ambler Old Scout Rye [$38] - Scott K.

HW Double Rye [$34]

HW 21 year - TomH

E.H. Taylor Rye [$68]

Knob Creek Rye [$35] - Adam H.

Only available in Canada (as far as I know) - one of the beer guys is working on these:

Alberta Spring [$22]

Lot 40 [$38]

Happy holidays everyone!

Ryes I have:

VWFRR

2012 Saz 18

WT 101

Rittenhouse BiB 100

Bulleit

Whistle Pig [$74]

Baby Sazerac [$27] - Phil T

BTAC Handy [$70] - TomH

Willett 4 year [$38] - Adam H.

Smooth Ambler Old Scout Rye [$38] - Scott K. and mosugoji64

HW Double Rye [$34] - Phil T

HW 21 year - TomH

E.H. Taylor Rye [$68]

Knob Creek Rye [$35] - Adam H.

Alberta Spring [$22]

Lot 40 [$38]

Rye's that won't be there (as of this posting):

Fleischman's Rye - WI only; my WI friend couldn't find it there though

Whistle Pig [$74]

E.H. Taylor Rye [$68]

Only available in Canada (as far as I know) - my buddy wasn't able to get these:

Alberta Spring [$22]

Lot 40 [$38]

If you don't see something on here that you'd like to bring, feel free to find something not on my list here. There are a number of other ryes at TPS that aren't on my list. (Although I'd love to see Whistle Pig since I haven't tried it before - and I don't really want to see ever different bottling of Beam rye.)

Roger, looks like I am going to be out for the tasting as much as I hate to miss it. Getting pulled out of town for a family issue. Hope you guys have fun and safe travels!

Mike

Had a good time at the tasting last night. Great whiskey, great people and a great big bill at Party Source. It left my wallet $500.00 lighter!

Thomas

Roger,

Another successful tasting....you and your wife are definitely gracious hosts. You did an excellent job of coordinating a good group of ryes. It was nice to compare several of the different LDI's side by side and then taste some of the excellent offerings like the HW 21 and the VWFRR. Always look forward to your invitations to Cincy...wish we could have stayed longer but keeping the wife happy is important (especially since she overheard me talking about my recent purchase that hasn't arrived yet).

I did maintain discipline when I stopped at Party Source on the way home and only picked up on-line purchases previously paid for (as I said Barb knew more stuff was on the way so I didn't press my luck)

Tom

A big THANKS to Roger for putting this together. It was a great time! The food, drink, and company were all stellar. We enjoyed meeting some new enthusiasts and reconnecting with others. We're definitely looking forward to future Cincinnati gatherings! Of course, it doesn't hurt that you're minutes away from TPS. It sounds like stopping there afterward was a must for a few of us!

Thanks for a great tasting everybody! Food and rye were both excellent. It was great to be able to try the new make Barton with the 21 year (both were very enjoyable with the 21 year being my favorite new rye of the night). I also liked the Centennial from Alberta quite a bit (although I wish it was a higher proof - as I do with all of the Canadians I've had). Thanks everyone for making this a great event. Next time I'll try to remember to snap a few pictures to post.

I'm going to try to have another tasting some time in the summer (June/Julyish). Cheers!

Roger

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.