Armagnac recommendations?

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Pierre Ferrand "1840" Cognac is 90 proof. Came out in the last year or so.

And I'll also chime in for Germain Robin. Their XO is superior to almost any Cognac I've ever tried.

Pierre Ferrand "1840" Cognac is 90 proof. Came out in the last year or so.

And I'll also chime in for Germain Robin. Their XO is superior to almost any Cognac I've ever tried.

The 1840 was developed by Ferrand in consultation with David Wondrich with cocktail mixing in mind. Earlier pre phyloxera cognacs that would have been used in the 1800's were reportedly more "bold" in flavor and higher proof. That said I have never tried it on its own. I need to do that!

Louis Royer “Force 53″ cognac is another high proof cognac that shows up with some regularity in cocktails. Never tried that one.

Continue to hear good things about Germaine Robin but since most of my cognac drinking is in cocktails I have never tried it. Cognac/armagnac/brandy is another spirit category I need to explore further this year according to Sku!

Going back to armagnac I noticed that the most recent Imbibe magazine edition gave Castarède Sélection Armagnac a recommendation as a good but inexpensive "starter" armagnac. It is listed on TPS but of course it is currently out of stock.

I remember Germain Robin, picked up a bottle when I was in San Diego some years ago. Makes me wish some of our micros would turn their attention to brandys and Eau de Vies rather than young whiskys.

I remember Germain Robin, picked up a bottle when I was in San Diego some years ago. Makes me wish some of our micros would turn their attention to brandys and Eau de Vies rather than young whiskys.

• 2 months later...

I've enjoyed Armagnac occasionally but took home my first bottle, 25 year Delord, with incentive from today's 15% off Binny's coupon and a quick telephone consult with Lost Pollito. A fine pour, less sweet than many brandy's and quite spicy, almost hot cinnamon at the end. Actually outstanding and a terrific price. But just like other renowned barrel aged spirits I enjoy, damn if they also always confirm...my love for bourbon :grin:.

Popped a bottle of regular Courvoisier the other day to change up the pace. Really enjoyed it and started to research cognacs. Stumbled across this thread and decided to pick up the Delord 25. Good lord so good.

• 2 months later...

What can anyone tell me about the Germain-Robin Old Havana? Whiskey bored, as there's not much out there currently, and this was on close out. Read some good things about it, but was hoping to get some opinions here.

Edited by MyOldKyDram

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.