BOTM 12/12: Jefferson's Presidential Select

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Since JPS 17 has been referenced a few times in this thread, I was wondering how easy/difficult it is to still find it out on retail shelves? I haven't really been looking but when I do see JPS it's all 18 YO. Just wanted see if anyone is still seeing the 17 YO out there. thanks!

Since JPS 17 has been referenced a few times in this thread, I was wondering how easy/difficult it is to still find it out on retail shelves? I haven't really been looking but when I do see JPS it's all 18 YO. Just wanted see if anyone is still seeing the 17 YO out there. thanks!

I think it may be location-dependent. I haven't seen any of the 17 in Eastern MA since around the end of summertime (at least not at the ten or so stores that I visit).

Stopped by another store and they had JPS 18, Batch 26 (I think). Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

In another store today and saw more JPS18 batch 11 but also saw several of batch 25 on the same shelf. One looked hand written in red ink (but might not be) while the 25 was printed on the label.

For $90 I was able to pass on getting either one.

Still have yet to see a JPS17 on the shelf and don't really expect to.

Basically every store in my area has tons of JPS18. Lowest batch number I've been able to find is 8. Anyone had any experience with that one?

I recently picked up a private bottling of this form Hi-Time. Anyone try this one? The other bottle I have is batch 15, and I've been drinking from this one for a couple of months. It has gotten less woody with air exposure, and it now dessert-like. The last pour I had was like liquid caramel.

Basically every store in my area has tons of JPS18. Lowest batch number I've been able to find is 8. Anyone had any experience with that one?

I have gone through quite a few bottles of JPS 17/18 over the last couple of years. Except for one bottle of batch 30 that I need to air out for quite a while, they have all been very good. Yes, the batches are different. Some are a bit dryer or have more oak or a slightly different flavor profile, but they have all been pretty good.

Although from the same source as older PVW, I find the JPS softer and more muted. It's more of a dark and brooding bourbon as opposed to PVW which is a lot more lively. PVW definately is more complex and has a better finish. But, sometimes, I'm in the mood for a smooth, carmel bomb and JPS hits the spot.

V17 while a decent bourbon just doesn't do it for me either.

I've bunkered quite a few JPS and I'm always looking for it on sale. At $90, I would probably pass but on sale in he $70-$80 range, I'm buying a bunch! I also like the fact that I don't have to beg the retailer or enter a lottery or stand in line like I do with Pappy.

I have a couple batch 8's, but haven't opened one yet. I have an open batch 9 that I like a lot. I'll open my 8 and taste it and then compare with my 9. And see if I want to grab more 8 while I can find it.

In general I've passed on all that I've seen at $85+, can find batch 16 and 17 any day locally for $95, but I stocked up on some batch 8 and 9 I found.

I do really like knowing they are SW (for whatever that's worth) and that there is no nonsense with trying to find them. I wonder if the Jefferson's people are wishing now they just tanked it and released it annually...thankfully for us they didn't.

I remember seeing batch 6 a while ago, handwritten in red ink. Now I saw some more batch 6 today in printed black ink. It's a bit weird but I feel like the black printed ink batch versions seem like new releases regardless of batch number. I'd say at this point you're probably safer going with the older handwritten bottles.

But in the end who knows. Maybe buy a bottle and split it with friends to determine if its worth going deep on.

I remember seeing batch 6 a while ago, handwritten in red ink. Now I saw some more batch 6 today in printed black ink. It's a bit weird but I feel like the black printed ink batch versions seem like new releases regardless of batch number. I'd say at this point you're probably safer going with the older handwritten bottles.

I saw the printed Batch 6 today as well. interesting that there was a red hand written version. The bottle I have is batch 13 but is handwritten and it has been pretty good. Haven't had any with the printed batch number but it would be a bit annoying if they were completely different batches.

I have a couple of bottles of these in the bunker (handwritten 14 and printed 26 for those that care) I haven't opened yet, but plan to get to one here at some point soon. One thing I was wondering is I have read through the massive JPS thread on here, and I don't remember seeing where it was mentioned how many barrels of this stuff is in existence. Is this known, or is this something the bottler is keeping under wraps? I have also seen the handwritten batch 6 lately and thought it strange as if they had started the numbering over again.

I have a couple of bottles of these in the bunker (handwritten 14 and printed 26 for those that care) I haven't opened yet, but plan to get to one here at some point soon. One thing I was wondering is I have read through the massive JPS thread on here, and I don't remember seeing where it was mentioned how many barrels of this stuff is in existence. Is this known, or is this something the bottler is keeping under wraps? I have also seen the handwritten batch 6 lately and thought it strange as if they had started the numbering over again.

Back in 09 when word of this hit, there was talk that 400 barrels were "discovered". How many went to this product, how many became other labels, fill level of each barrel, etc would be hard to guess, I would imagine.

I have also seen the handwritten batch 6 lately and thought it strange as if they had started the numbering over again.

The store-selected JPS18 I have simply says "Stitzel-Weller" in large print on the store label. Interesting that it uses different language from other batches.

The store-selected JPS18 I have simply says "Stitzel-Weller" in large print on the store label. Interesting that it uses different language from other batches.

That is quite interesting. All of the Liquor Barn store selections I have seen mention neither Stitzel-Weller, nor that it is 1991 distillate. Even though I am sure their store selections are similar to the regular JPS18, the change (or lack) of information has kept me from picking up a bottle.

Have you had a regular release JPS18 where you can comment on the differences between it and the store selection?

That is quite interesting. All of the Liquor Barn store selections I have seen mention neither Stitzel-Weller, nor that it is 1991 distillate. Even though I am sure their store selections are similar to the regular JPS18, the change (or lack) of information has kept me from picking up a bottle.

Have you had a regular release JPS18 where you can comment on the differences between it and the store selection?

I haven't had a regular release JPS18 to compare to it. It sounds like there have been a few different variations in the wording used on the label. I'll check on the exact wording on my label tonight (I don't remember offhand if it mentions 1991).

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up two bottles of JPS18 batch 11 on my way back from a family gathering in NH. Got to say that I love NH as a tax free liquor zone, at 70 a pop, I had to get two. Have had the batch 5 at a local bar, so sweet and easy, interested to compare with a different batch number.

I had an opportunity to hang with a bud last Friday, and that coupled with still needing to do a belated celebration for the tigers win in the Chik-Fil-A bowl (that's Clemson Tigers for those who don't pay attention to such things) lead me to cracking one of these open. I opened the batch 26 bottle that I obtained from TPS at some point last year. I have to say that this is without a doubt a fine whiskey. I fully expected this guy to be an oak bomb based on what I've read in the threads on JPS here as it's a later batch number, but the wood was in surprising balance. My wheater experience isn't overly extensive, I've had MM, OWA, Weller 12, VWSR Lot B and V17. The V17 is the only one that is really an apples to apples comparison (similar age and proof), and the JPS kicked the snot out of the V17. I'm in the group that has found that V17 doesn't do a whole lot for me. It tastes quite woody with very muted standard bourbon flavors (caramel, vanilla, etc.), and as a matter of fact I more often vat it with OWA (the two taste great together) rather than drinking it straight. In contrast I found the JPS to be very lively with wonderful sweet and buttery notes and some butterscotch overtones. The wood is in very good balance, and I even found it to be less woody that VWSR Lot B and Weller 12 in my opinion. That was very suprising to me seeing as this stuff is 6 years older than those two. To use a cliche statement the stuff is dangerously drinkable, and I'm gonna have to hide it in the back of my cupboard for a while or it will gone before it even gets a chance to air out and potentially get even better. I am very impressed with it, and my bud had similar high praises.

I unexpectedly ran across about 25 bottles of the 18 year last night at a store in Lexington for $93. Really going back and forth on whether to buy, or whether to spend (less of) my money on a 2012 Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch. It seems from the post that whether to purchase the JRPS18 is all about which batch number it is, and these were all Batch #14. Anyone have any notes on this batch?

No, but none are needed. Get the Four Roses. Just one man's opinion, of course.

ETA - the Jefferson's is all over town and I don't see there being a huge run on it in the immediate future. Could be wrong.

Edited by MyOldKyDram

The Four Roses certainly. You know what you're getting and don't need a secret decoder ring to determine if it might be iffy.

As I read threads like this one ... the old "which one should I get" and "which batch"? etc, etc ... I am ever so thankful for our local purveyor. First of all the liquor store carries one of the finest portfolios of bourbon that you will find anywhere .. that's anywhere. Secondly, they carry more single barrel selections than anyone I'm aware of. (There are over 25 on the shelf as I speak and more on the way in.) .. Thirdly, they have a lounge next door where you can go TRY before you buy. Yesterday, for example, I was interested in possible buying the last bottle of Bernheim he had on the shelf. I went to the bar and tried it. And ... it's still on the shelf! Some folks around here take it for granted .. but the more bourbon folk I meet .. the more I appreciate what we have. OH .. and the porch in between the two is a cigar porch .. where we regularly meet up for a good taste experience. And, finally - I've been fortunate enough to join them as a member of the barrel selection team on twice yearly trips to the distilleries. Coming up .. a visit in early March by Jim Rutledge for a dinner and hang-out ... the latest of several MD's who have joined us.

SBers ... you really should put Tallahassee on your visit list some time in the future ... it takes the guesswork out of selections.

(PS - I get no compensation .. so don't think this is commercial ... just appreciation for what we have here.)

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.