Jack Daniels Unaged Rye

BourbonMemphis
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Who has purchased a bottle? What do you think? I think JD is onto something but it just needs some age. Unaged is intesting - Tequilla on the nose, grainy sweetness in the mouth and neutral spririts/tequilla in the finish - for me. Age it for 3-5 years and bottle at 90-100 proof and I think I will consider buying - price point on unaged is WAY off - $50 when it should be $25-$30...

It's not supposed to be in stores until next month, though I've heard it's been spotted in Tennessee. I do believe $50 is the suggested retail. I'm most interested to see if they're still classing it as 'neutral spirit,' and what other producers will do with that little anomaly.

They're producing so little of it that they'll probably sell it all to the people who would buy piss for $50 a bottle if the label said 'Jack Daniel's.'

It's not supposed to be in stores until next month, though I've heard it's been spotted in Tennessee. I do believe $50 is the suggested retail. I'm most interested to see if they're still classing it as 'neutral spirit,' and what other producers will do with that little anomaly.

They're producing so little of it that they'll probably sell it all to the people who would buy piss for $50 a bottle if the label said 'Jack Daniel's.'

There are plenty of them Chuck :banghead:

Tequilla on the nose, grainy sweetness in the mouth and neutral spririts/tequilla in the finish

This looks just like all my tequila tasting notes. :slappin:

Yep. It's the greatest whiskey on Earth, ya know. :rolleyes:

I don't hate JD at all, but I sure don't understand the popularity it has. No way I would ever pay $50.00 for unaged whisk(e)y of any kind. I'm a big fan of JDSB, but I have a hard time paying $40.00 for it.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw guys in two different stores (in TN) buying this buy the case today (and many other people buying multiple bottles). Store owners were amazed that I was there looking for whiskey, but passed on the JD rye. Some stores I visited had sold out already. Maybe it's the early novelty, but this product seems to be moving.

We've heard the story but it is true . . . I was there, I saw it happen . . . standing in the parking lot at the Jack Daniels distillery I met tourists arriving for their very first visit already wearing the Jack Daniels cap and belt buckle.

You have got to remember that white lightning is still popular down there. I can just hear folks now, this is Jack Daniels white lightning man, it is got to be good stuff.

Yep. It's the greatest whiskey on Earth, ya know. :rolleyes:

Hey, knock it off, you guys. Jack Daniel's is my FAVORITEST bourbon. :lol:

I tried it last night (A sample bottle from an industry connection, not the retail package) and I was fully prepared to dislike it. I was surprised that I didn't. Is it worth $50? Probably not. But it was quite interesting, even pleasant in a rather unique way and everyone there liked it. A very strong sour dough bready taste and not particularly rough to drink (of course I presume it has been charcoal filtered and the proof is cut with water way down to 40%ABV). A couple of talented bartenders there with us thought it had some real mixing possibilities as well.

I'm not sure I would even try this one on someone else's dime, it's just so offensive.

I tried it last night (A sample bottle from an industry connection, not the retail package) and I was fully prepared to dislike it. I was surprised that I didn't. Is it worth $50? Probably not. But it was quite interesting, even pleasant in a rather unique way and everyone there liked it. A very strong sour dough bready taste and not particularly rough to drink (of course I presume it has been charcoal filtered and the proof is cut with water way down to 40%ABV). A couple of talented bartenders there with us thought it had some real mixing possibilities as well.

There is almost nothing I won't try on somebody else's dime! Particularly an oddity like this. Especially since it is often my own dime I am trying them on. Gotta conserve where you can...

:cool:

Would somebody please look at the retail package and see if they're still calling it 'neutral spirit.' Better yet, post a picture.

That it's selling like hot cakes should surprise no one. Horse piss in a Jack Daniel's bottle would fly off the shelves too.

Would somebody please look at the retail package and see if they're still calling it 'neutral spirit.' Better yet, post a picture.

That it's selling like hot cakes should surprise no one. Horse piss in a Jack Daniel's bottle would fly off the shelves too.

I only saw a sample bottle with a simple printed text label. When it finally arrives here I will be happy to post a picture if no one else has. No idea when that will be though.

You have got to remember that white lightning is still popular down there. I can just hear folks now, this is Jack Daniels white lightning man, it is got to be good stuff.

I find it hard to believe that moonshine is as prevalent as TV portrays it. I never once saw or heard of any shine out where I was (dry county in Ala. and W.Va.) and didn't know anyone that would buy an unknown product when there were commercially produced products available within a relatively short drive (30 min for beer, 1 hour for liquor.) Maybe it's making a comeback though, but I think it really just makes for "good" TV.

...anyway, it's quite amazing how popular Jack Daniels is. I liken it to the Apple phenomenon - good marketing and brand recognition.

Oh I doubt anyone still buys that stuff, vodka's cheaper and the scroungy rednecks are on meth.

It can be found pretty easily around here, actually. Then again maybe it's just the company I keep.

If you want a true account of modern moonshining, read Chasing the White Dog, by Max Watman. There are apparently a couple of places where it's still very big, and it's generally not what you think.

Here in Virginia its readily available. I have a few sources and generally keep a jar full of Apple Pie and Peach (regular corn moonshine with peaches in it) for an occasional drink as well as for novelty for friends and familt.

Oh and the Applie Pie moonshine over vanilla ice cream is amazing

Edit: And I agree with Chuck, Chasing the White Dog is a great read

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.