Jack Daniels Unaged Rye

BourbonMemphis
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

That's interesting Tom because it suggests relatively little effect from the maple charcoal leaching.

Gary

I got to check the bottle to see if it mentions charcoal. If I had to bet, rgardless f what it says, it is not. But I have never had and pre filtered jd white dog.

It doesn't taste like it has been charcoal filtered to me. I will try to remember to bring it to the GBS affair this weekend and see what the goat and other members think!

Chuck does this mean we're getting a taste of what the mellowing process adds to the whisky prior to bottling? I realize the standard JD mashbill is different.

By the way I've tasted the pre- and post-filtering white spirit for Jack Daniels Black Label. There is a difference, but it wasn't marked, IMO.

Gary

I've tried pre and post Black label also (cut down to 86 proof) and it definitely smooths out some of the roughness. Also a tiny hint of charcoal but just barely noticeable

Tried some from the bottle that Bruce brought to the GBS meet-up last night. Everything else aside, it' sweet and extremely easy drinking. Outside of the novelty, I probably would not lay down the nearly $50 that it commands here. But, I wouldn't turn down a pour, if offered to me. It does drink well.

Amazing, talked to a store in Rochester yesterday. They have sold like 50 cases, and there was on bottle on the shelf. And were told there was no more to be had.

The guys in the B-F boardroom are laughing so hard they can't endorse their bonus checks.

I saw this for the first time today, in a Utah state store. $50. Directly next to it was another rye that I've not seen in Utah before - Ritt BIB. $20. That shelving arrangement really lays bare what a ripoff the JD rye is.

With Washington state taxes, close to 65 bucks for a bottle.

My interest went from "would really like to try" to "not even with a gun to my head would I buy that but who cares JD will laugh all the way to the bank."

Binny's is smart. They put the Daniel's, at $49.99, right next to the Jacob's Ghost, at $19.99. And unless you're just crazy for rye whiskey white dog, the Jacob's Ghost tastes better too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.