George Dickel

Graal
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have never even tried George Dickel...this stuff sounds awesome!

I have never even tried George Dickel...this stuff sounds awesome!

The Dickel 12 is great value for the money - I would definitely recommend trying it. I would love to try a 14 year old version based on the quality in the No. 12; that is a really nice find. Hopefully they'll do more of this.

Everyone interested in Bourbon owes it to themself to try Dickel 12, it's a classic.

The Dickel 12 is great value for the money - I would definitely recommend trying it. I would love to try a 14 year old version based on the quality in the No. 12; that is a really nice find. Hopefully they'll do more of this.
Everyone interested in Bourbon owes it to themself to try Dickel 12, it's a classic.

Right you are gentlemen! I went out and grabbed a bottle based on your recommendations. I will be honest. My first impression was "oh well, its ok but nothing special." But, like a good SBer, I have learned to give things time and multiple tries. My second pour was very good. I did do something a little different. I split off some into a smaller bottle and placed in the freezer all day. I really enjoyed it.

While not a true bourbon, it has some mellow bourbon qualities. As I have mentioned in other threads, I am not very good at tasting notes but I definitely noted butterscotch and toffee followed by a nutty finish. Really different.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Always have one open. Not a frequent pour, bottle will usually last me a year or so, but every so often I just gotta have me a a taste of Dickel... as it is a classic.

As to the $98 Hand Select...I guess it's in line since it's missing the e :rolleyes:.

Also interesting that the wide world of the internet appears to still be blog silent on the Hand Select. Possibly Diageo did not send advance samples to the cognoscenti?

I gotta say that GD12 is becoming one of my favorites, especially with diet coke. It's awhole lot better thatn JD7 and at much better price.

Also interesting that the wide world of the internet appears to still be blog silent on the Hand Select. Possibly Diageo did not send advance samples to the cognoscenti?

I gotta say that GD12 is becoming one of my favorites, especially with diet coke. It's awhole lot better thatn JD7 and at much better price.

I sip GD12 neat much too good to mix. I mix Ole No. 7.

I believe you are 100% correct on this Squire. Let Dickel continue to produce barrels for Johnny Walker and produce fine Tennessee Sippin Whisky for us in the know.

I recently toured the Cascade Hollow Distillery, I was most impressed. It is like going back to the 50's. It is not overly processed at all. I hope it remains that way.

• 1 month later...

This is a great discussion that brings back many wonderful memories. I was born and raised in TN and we were fortunate to be in on, what at that time, was this little secret (while the rest of the world was drinking JD):slappin:.

Edited by Paddy

A handy bottle of #12 in the freezer is the perfect (and most gentle) way I have found to introduce a new whisk(e)y drinker to the realm.

• 1 month later...
A handy bottle of #12 in the freezer is the perfect (and most gentle) way I have found to introduce a new whisk(e)y drinker to the realm.
Dickel 12 is fine whiskey.

• 1 month later...

In the last month, four different retailers in my area have put out Dickel Barrel Select bottles (either 9 or 14 year, all 53% ABV). They range from $40 to $70. They have a fancy metal neck tag with the barrel #, retailer, and date. I've tried all of them and they are good, not great. They don't really have any outstanding characteristics.

I think Diageo must be doing something to make this process very easy and appealing to the retailer, but I haven't gotten anything specific. I've been pushing locally for a retailer to do a Four Roses barrel proof selection, for my own selfish reasons, and in the hope that any increased interest in the brand that would start the flow of more of their products in the area. In the past, two of these retailers have asked me for help in selecting barrels from HH and BT, but not a peep this time. The other two I have asked specifically about the possibility of them doing a barrel selection, and they brushed it off as too difficult, or too specialized for their market.

I noticed also that they were really pushing the brand at Tales of the Cocktail this year, where in the past it was all Johnny Walker and Bulleit.

To summarize, I'm worried that a big multinational will be throwing its weight around to get retailers to all stock this homogeneous product that's not that great.

In the last month, four different retailers in my area have put out Dickel Barrel Select bottles (either 9 or 14 year, all 53% ABV). They range from $40 to $70. They have a fancy metal neck tag with the barrel #, retailer, and date. I've tried all of them and they are good, not great. They don't really have any outstanding characteristics.

I think Diageo must be doing something to make this process very easy and appealing to the retailer, but I haven't gotten anything specific. I've been pushing locally for a retailer to do a Four Roses barrel proof selection, for my own selfish reasons, and in the hope that any increased interest in the brand that would start the flow of more of their products in the area. In the past, two of these retailers have asked me for help in selecting barrels from HH and BT, but not a peep this time. The other two I have asked specifically about the possibility of them doing a barrel selection, and they brushed it off as too difficult, or too specialized for their market.

I noticed also that they were really pushing the brand at Tales of the Cocktail this year, where in the past it was all Johnny Walker and Bulleit.

To summarize, I'm worried that a big multinational will be throwing its weight around to get retailers to all stock this homogeneous product that's not that great.

The barrel select program does smack of style over substance but the George Dickel distillery is a national treasure. It is like going back in time. This is "craft" whisky in the most positive sense of the word.

I know they are owned by a multinational corporation but I think Diageo leaves them alone. They produce barrels for Johnnie Walker, Glenkinchie etc. They produce great and I mean great everyday whiskey at an even better everyday price. Dickel 12 is my favorite whiskey.

Dickel No. 12 is a good one and under appreciated.

Of course it should get it's due, but being somewhat obscure does have benefits for it's customers.

You're right about that, God help us if the trendsetters ever get the idea Dickel is rare and hard to obtain.

In the last month, four different retailers in my area have put out Dickel Barrel Select bottles (either 9 or 14 year, all 53% ABV). They range from $40 to $70. They have a fancy metal neck tag with the barrel #, retailer, and date. I've tried all of them and they are good, not great. They don't really have any outstanding characteristics. .
Different tastes for different people. I've found both the 9 and 14 year old Hand selected barrels to be extraordinary.

Dickel Master Distiller to visit The Porch tomorrow and we plan to start the ball rolling for some private barrel picks in the future. (Probably early April) Those of you who enjoy Dickel have any suggestions to offer? Would love the input. Post here or PM. Thanks

I've long been interested in historic preservation and have observed that neglect is often preservation's best friend. If there's no economic incentive to tear down and replace the quaint 19th century core of a small town, it gets 'preserved.' That's Dickel's story. It was built late in the post-prohibition era, begun in 1958. It was modern then--it's not pre-pro or anything--but they've done almost nothing to it since, so now Dickel is the only major distillery that is still all-analog. No computer process controls. What I give them credit for is figuring out how to turn their out-of-date facility into a marketing plus. That's clever.

I've long been interested in historic preservation and have observed that neglect is often preservation's best friend. If there's no economic incentive to tear down and replace the quaint 19th century core of a small town, it gets 'preserved.' That's Dickel's story. It was built late in the post-prohibition era, begun in 1958. It was modern then--it's not pre-pro or anything--but they've done almost nothing to it since, so now Dickel is the only major distillery that is still all-analog. No computer process controls. What I give them credit for is figuring out how to turn their out-of-date facility into a marketing plus. That's clever.
At the same time imho they turn out a better product than their competitor down the road. I recent toured the distillery it is definitely not overly processed.

I am glad they are owned by Diageo, this probably somewhat insulates Dickel from the pressure to over perform in the market.

Different tastes for different people. I've found both the 9 and 14 year old Hand selected barrels to be extraordinary.

I agree. I'm not typically one to cheer for Diageo, but I'd be very happy if they manage to get retailer selections of Dickel Barrel Select 9 and 14 into a lot of local stores. I'd buy either one over plenty of other whiskies in their respective price ranges.

And I have to respectfully disagree that the Dickel 9 and 14 don't have any outstanding characteristics. To me, their most significant traits are smoothness, a great balance between sweetness and barrel influence, and (with a little air) a small, pleasant amount of the gravelly/Flintstones vitamin flavor present in most Dickels I've tried. Yes, that makes them easy to drink but to me, that's not the same as lacking character. Their character is drinkability without dullness -- a term I'd also use to describe pours like Weller 12, FRSmB, or Johnnie Walker Black without intending it as a slight.

Ask him if all their whisky is aged in single story warehouses.
I toured the distillery this summer and the warehouse did not seem to be single story. They did have stack the barrels on racks. Still, ask the question.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.