Glassware Poll

Dave_in_Canada
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Glassware Poll  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Glassware Poll

• Blender's Nosing Glass
    • Scotch whisky or brandy
    • Riedel scotch
    • Riedel Bourbon
    • Brandy, Cognac
    • Lowball glass

I've been using a set of Bodum double wall, So Long Stemless Red Wine Tumblers for bourbon for about 4 months.

I am still undecicded on their practicality and benefits vs the Riedels.

If you thought the Riedels were fragile, wait till you handle these. I cringe every time I drop an ice cube into one.

Haven't risked automated dishwashing yet.

Love the "no sweat" feature of double wall and how long ice lasts in a drink.

I don't find an advantage over the Riedels from a sensory perspective and find the thin glass awkwardly thick because of the double wall. I also find the weight, too light considering the bulk. Its deceiving.

Now, the real eye-opener for me is using these for Red Wine.

Holy Mackeral. I love them. You can swirl and sniff. No clumsy stems. Doesn't transfer heat or cool to the beverage.

I guess that's why they call them wine tumblers and not spirit tumblers.

Anybody else have experience with these

SO LONG

stemless all-purpose double wall wine glass, set of 2 pcs

4.5 in high / dia. 4.5 in (0.5 liter, 16 oz.)

PS: I got them as a "going away" gift from a co-worker, so I don't know the market price. This web site is out of stock on them. They seem pretty pricey in comparison to most glassware.

spacer.gif

I recently purchased a set of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Iittala-Stella-White-Wine-Glasses/dp/B0000CAQHO/ref=sr_1_3/102-5700958-3017743?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1181150289&sr=1-3

I had seen them at the MOMA gift shop in NYC and they are a little more substantial than the Reidel O's. Since my storage is so limited, I thought they would serve triple duty as whiskey, cocktail, and wine glasses. On one website I noticed that they were actually sold as whiskey glasses.

That said I was thinking of picking these up:

http://www.amazon.com/iittala-Stella-Sherry-Set-2/dp/B0001CKEGM/ref=sr_1_5/102-5700958-3017743?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1181151709&sr=1-5

as well. They're perfect for neat sipping.

Lead-free Finnish crystal. Good weight. Stylish enough for the Museum of Modern Art. Not bad.

-Mike

The sherry glass seems perfect, if a little pricey...but you gotta pay for prestige, I guess. Though looking at it's size, I think I'd have the same issue I have with Glencairn glasses...I can't get my nose in to sniff while I sip...Thats why I like the Riedel SM Scotch glass, the wide mouth and roller lip, lets me catch the aroma the same time I catch the flavor...though I've broken 4 of those and not one of the Glencairn...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hidden

Those Riedel glasses are just too delicate and pricey for me.

I've found a great glass at World Market here in Houston (the store on FM1960, I haven't checked any others). They don't list these glasses on their website though, and I even called them and they couldn't match the numbers on the sticker with anything in their database (discontinued maybe?).

Here's a picture:

attachment.php?attachmentid=4377&thumb=1&d=1185733217

The glass is 5 7/8" tall and holds 4 ounces, and the glass is thicker/stronger than that found on the Riedels. Oh, and they only cost $2.49 each.

If you have a World Market in your area, I recommend checking to see if they have these.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure why I deleted my earlier post, but here goes again.

I've always thought that the Reidels were too pricey and also a bit too thin and delicate.

I have found what I believe to be the perfect glass for sipping bourbon. It's like a miniature wine glass, holds 4 ounces, and has a stem length that just seems to make it rest perfectly in my hand. When I take a sip the aroma hits my nose right at about the time the juice hits my lips, and the thicker glass just seems more manly to me, I've yet to break one.

I found these glasses at World Market for only $2.49 each. They are not on their website and they may very well be discontinued, but there are still some to be found at at least one of the locations here in Houston. I'd urge anyone to check their local World Market for this glass and give it a try.

post-2419-14489813402018_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

There are three glasses I normally use for bourbon. I like the Glencairn nosing glass a lot, very classy (got a bunch at the Bourbon Heritage Center last month). Also use these glasses that used to come with Remy Martin cognac around Christmas time, kind of a slightly bowl shaped tumbler. The glass is just a little thin but it's an easy glass to hold. The one I'm using tonight is a glass I got with a bottle of Macallan scotch last year, and I'm liking it more and more. It's basically a heavy bottomed tumbler but the sides are curved towards the top so that the lip is smaller in circumferance than the base. It's got the best attributes of a tumbler (large diameter base, a hefty handful of a glass) coupled with a slightly snifter-like quality in the inward curving lip, which concentrated the aromas very nicely. I love the noser's glass, but I think that having a bit more surface area on the bottom of the glass gives me a bit more nose from the bourbon. Here's a link if you want to see pictures of the glass (I'm not sure how to make a link, you may have to copy/paste the text). http://www.themacallan.com/shop/detail.asp?pid=GX6639A

Anybody seen anything like this for sale in the US? Anybody got one they wouldn't mind parting with? I'm finding myself really appreciating this glass. I'd even buy another bottle of Macallan just to get another glass!

Cheers!

PS- I just checked the link, it's a little squirrely but it will get you to the site. Just click on "merchandise" and click on "tumblers" and you'll see it. Really nice glass. Thanks for bearing with me. Hope to read some comments soon.

• 1 month later...

When I first started drinking bourbon, I got a cheap glass for $1 that bulged at the bottom, narrowed near the top, then flared out a little. I lost it a while back and haven't seen anything like it again. I think it was the best tool for tasting bourbon, as the snifters or any other glass that concentrates the nose ends up just focusing the alcohol to the detriment of the other notes, IMHO. I believe, without any science to back this up, that the flare helps the really important, non-alcohol aspects of the nose to come out.

Also: if anyone has a link for something like I described, I'll be your best friend... I'd really like to get one of those glasses again!

Perhaps the 5th item down on this page is what you're looking for? (Or at least something similar?) They look nice but I've always avoided them because of the price.

• 3 months later...

I just bought 1 Riedel bourbon glass last night on ebay. I had been using a lowball glass but this sounds better. Can't wait till it comes.

• 11 months later...

I have been thinking some about glassware recently and thus thought I might update this ancient thread with my thoughts.

I seem to gravitate towards one of the three kinds of glasses that I keep on hand depending on the situation.

I have a set of Glencairn glasses that I really like and I enjoy sipping bourbon neat from these. This is usually what I reach for on a daily basis.

I also have a set of heavy rocks glasses that I got in a WT101 gift set that I really like. If I am drinking on the rocks or mixed with something, this is usually what I have. I like the heft of the glass.

I saw just a few mentions of shot glasses through this thread and it appears that most folks don't care much for them. I have a set of heavy tapered shot glasses that I like. They are pretty large for a shot glass and have a two oz capacity. I sometimes have a small pour in one of these and do use them on occasion. However I don't care for the smaller, thinner and or shorter shot glasses. Matter of fact just a couple of nights ago I ordered some Don Julio while out for dinner and it was served in a short thin shot glass that I really didn't care for. The place was real busy or I might have asked them to change it.

For referance, here are the images of the glasses in question here

Is it posible to vote a poll 1, 2, 3? Like Pick your top three?

I would go Glencairn, Reidel Bourbon, Reidel Scotch on a 1, 2, 3.

I have the Modern Marvels "Whiskey" episode on DVR. I watched it this morning just for the purpose of noting which glasses are used for tasting by those featured on the show.

Fred Noe (Jim Beam) used what looked like the Riedel Bourbon Glass. John Hansell (Malt Advocate) was noted using a stemless wine glass (merlot glass?) and what looked like a stemless Scotch glass.

The most prevalent glass just looked like a wine glass, a little smaller maybe, and a thicker stem, but not one of our choices in the poll. These were from scenes at Jack Daniels, Jameson, Glenlevet, etc..

Thought that was interesting. My favorites are a small snifter I got at Jim Beam, and a mini rock glass from Buffalo Trace.

The most prevalent glass just looked like a wine glass, a little smaller maybe, and a thicker stem, but not one of our choices in the poll. These were from scenes at Jack Daniels, Jameson, Glenlevet, etc..

These seem to be the tasting glasses used on the distillery floor. Every time I have been served White Dog, or seen it served, or seen a distiller take a taste froma barrel, these mini wine glasses seem to be used. They often have horizontal lines on them.... at least that is my experiance.

One of my other bad habits is collecting glassware that isn't ashamed of being used. The wine glass used by most blenders and master tasters/distillers is a port copita. These range in size of 6 to 8 oz. I received a pair from Mario Andretti's winery that are 4 oz in size and they are perfect for enjoying a good bourbon as well as certain ports.

I like the port copitas and prefer the smaller ones when tasting only an ounce or two of bourbon. The newer Reidels and Glencairns have the same effect on the nose. I also have many two ounce size glasses to include shot glasses that are great for just pouring a small amount to enjoy without worrying too much about analyzing the spirit.

If I'm serious about exploring a bourbon, I use a glass very similar to a Glencairn except it is very thin crystal and is stemed. It comes with a fitted cap. I pour 25 to 50 ml into the glass, swirl it to check the legs then cap it for no more than a few minutes. This concentrates the aromas for a good nose. After a few notes and a taste, I add a few drops of filtered water to crack the spirit. Swirl, cap, repeat.....After a while I long into this great website and make an ass out of myself and regret it in the morning. That night, swirl, cap, repeat....:drink:

I don't begrudge anyone their glass unless its empty.

• 3 weeks later...
For referance, here are the images of the glasses in question here

Is it posible to vote a poll 1, 2, 3? Like Pick your top three?

I would go Glencairn, Reidel Bourbon, Reidel Scotch on a 1, 2, 3.

*The only glass I've had absolutely no luck with is the #3 Reidell Scotch. I like the shape and feel, but for Bourbon it just doesn't cut it, also for Scotch I find #2 more successful in scoring finer characteristics.

BB

Bought a set of these for my scotch drinking brother for Christmas and finally got to see them the other day:

http://www.ravenscroftcrystal.com/collections/distiller_glass/W5475.html#

They are fantastic. I prefer them to the Johnson whiskey tots I have. Heavier and wider. Could easily accommodate a rock or two if you're so inclined.

-Mike

I used to use the container from a sake glass.

It had a V-shape and was decent, and could hold a piece of ice

on the top while I drank the whisk(e)y from underneath.

It broke though.

Over time I have gone from cheap snifter to Riedel to Glen Carn.

I have an Okinawan shot glass, WT tumblers, and a 4 Roses tumbler.

While I like the Glencarn the best, I will use the other ones in times of comparison.

I really want an American White Oak wooden shot glass, or cup.

Preferably from barrel wood which I will make and char myself;

the inspiration being from a wooden sake cup that I have-

Kind of a less bullshit approach to drinking and nosing.

Simple drinking. Very zen. Very much the way I feel drinking bourbon should be!

My favorite glass is the Riedel Cognac Hennessy Glass from their Vinum collection. It runs about 15 dollars and was initially designed for VS and VSOP cognacs but I find it works remarkably well with bourbon. Definately my favorite glass.

[ATTACH]3443[/ATTACH]

Click on the image for a larger picture.

I agree, this is my favorite glass so far... BB

• 2 weeks later...

I'm drinking out of low ball glasses but I just traded my straight sided glasses for a low ball with a very similar profile to the reidel bourbon glass with it's gentle inwards slope.

• 1 month later...

I'm really conflicted on glassware . . . while I think I get a better understanding and appreciation of the flavors in whiskey from the Glencairn or over-sized snifter I have. For comfort and style, I just love the rocks glass . . . it doesn't tip easy, it's not as fragile, it's easy to hang onto and it reminds me of the cool guys from old movies. If I'm tasting (i.e. writing notes, etc.) or drinking high class grog, then I'll use the snifter or Glencairn, but for everyday sipping of everyday whiskey, I gotta pick the lowball, highball or rocks.

I'm really conflicted on glassware . . . while I think I get a better understanding and appreciation of the flavors in whiskey from the Glencairn or over-sized snifter I have. For comfort and style, I just love the rocks glass . . . it doesn't tip easy, it's not as fragile, it's easy to hang onto and it reminds me of the cool guys from old movies. If I'm tasting (i.e. writing notes, etc.) or drinking high class grog, then I'll use the snifter or Glencairn, but for everyday sipping of everyday whiskey, I gotta pick the lowball, highball or rocks.

Ditto Andy. You're not alone. First taste or just sipping, Glencairn. Nice sized pour or with coke etc, rocks glass. Joe

I'm really conflicted on glassware . . . while I think I get a better understanding and appreciation of the flavors in whiskey from the Glenclairn or over-sized snifter I have. For comfort and style, I just love the rocks glass . . . it doesn't tip easy, it's not as fragile, it's easy to hang onto and it reminds me of the cool guys from old movies. If I'm tasting (i.e. writing notes, etc.) or drinking high class grog, then I'll use the snifter or Glenclairn, but for everyday sipping of everyday whiskey, I gotta pick the lowball, highball or rocks.
Ditto Andy. You're not alone. First taste or just sipping, Glencairn. Nice sized pour or with coke etc, rocks glass. Joe

Ahh my young Padawans, you will learn the ways of the force and give up your trivial ways and move into a higher plain or bourbon existence

You loose so much in a rocks/highball glass that you might as well be drinking MM or ant Beam product. Stay low shelf for those large mouth aroma loosing vessels.

Ahh my young Padawans, you will learn the ways of the force and give up your trivial ways and move into a higher plain or bourbon existence

Ahh, my Master Green Gem, please keep sharing your secrects.

If I may be so bold to ask you this.

My favorite way to enjoy the Nectar Of Kentucky is via a half pint bottle carried in the hip pocket of my jeans.

Does this pass my Master?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.