Glassware Poll

Dave_in_Canada
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Glassware Poll  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Glassware Poll

• Blender's Nosing Glass
    • Scotch whisky or brandy
    • Riedel scotch
    • Riedel Bourbon
    • Brandy, Cognac
    • Lowball glass

SCIENCE!!!! drinking.gifdrinking.gifBah, all I need is an open bottle amd my mouth (J/K)!! drinking.gifdrinking.gif

Tom (drink it man, DRINK IT!!) C

• 3 weeks later...

For a tasting I will usually use a reidel bourbon glass or a brandy snifter.

For just enjoying some bourbon neat I usually use a heavy crystal on the rocks glass or a heavy 4 oz. shot glass.

Todd

I found my Waterford balloons, yesterday. I think I will give one a whirl, soon.

Kentucky Spirit or Blanton's?

Tim

Tonight, KS. I visited a new Sichuan restaurant today and discovered a locked cabinet near the cashier in which a bottle of KS was displayed prominently. Upon further discussion with the manager, I learned that this bourbon was reserved solely for the owner. I informed the manager that I could provide her with some rare and amazing bourbon and, to cut to the chase, I think we have a new restaurant at which we will be visiting regularly! The food is fine and the management loves bourbon. Hey, life could be worse!

Lately my personal favourite for specific tasting has been a french wine tasting glass (verre à dégustation ) which does a great job of concentrating the nose, but not overso... and a pleasure to drink from. I have a couple that were a gift from a winemaker in the chablis region of France. My wife and I took the time to bicycle to his vineyard in the hills and converse -- in my poor broken french -- about the pleasures of wine. His gift to me, after my purchase of only three bottles, was two wind tasting glasses and three bottles of Belgian bottle-conditioned beer.

So, don't be afraid to enjoy your bourbon is a wine glass!

Verre à dégustation

post-346-14489811238537_thumb.jpg

My vote is for Blanton's. (It needs all the help it can get to concentrate its very pleasant, but meager, nose. wink.gif Of course, there are those who say the same about Kentucky Spirit.)

Seriously, I keep hoping someone with some actual tasting skills (which takes me out of the running) will post tasting notes on his or her favorite bourbon, consumed from a variety of glasses, ranging from a shot glass to something akin to your glasses. Whaddaya say?

BTW, nice double entendre.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Okay, last night the house quietened down early, so I cleaned and dried one of my Waterford balloons. Damn, I didn't remember how heavy those things are. The snifter, by itself must weigh about 6 ounces.

I had almost convinced myself to do this with OFBB, but I decided to stick with your recommendation and went with Blanton's. I poured at least two ounces and settled down with a book.

At first, the Blanton's seemed about like vodka in comparison to the bold bourbons I usually enjoy. But, as I nosed and sipped and the whiskey warmed up a little, it became one of the most pleasant drinks I have ever had. The snifter definitely added to the experience, both in the nosing and the visual sensations. I am reminded of the true meaning of the term "crystal clear".

Highly recommended. However, when my wife gave them to me for Christmas many years ago (more than 10, less than 15), they were $80 each. There's no telling what they sell for, now.

Tim

Isn't it amazing what a nice snifter can do for a bourbon... I really love Blanton's, and after getting my Riedel Bourbon Glasses my whole Blanton's experience went to another level. Finding a snifter one likes can really enhance the tastings of even already loved bourbons. toast.gif

• 1 month later...

I have since got one of those Riedel "Small Batch Bourbon" glasses and despite the fact it looks to the contrary, it really does enhance the bourbonic experience. Sadly the dogs knocked it out of the strainer today and it buster, so I need another one soon.

The glass I would really like to get my hands on to try is the Pure glass by Maison du whisky, as suggested previously in this forum. It looks to me like a great melding of the Old-Fashioned style glass with a more specific, snifter-tasting-style glass. I am really curious about how effective this mutation is.

Tom (Bleah) C

post-89-14489811321597_thumb.jpg

This guy keep selling sets of the Riedel Bourbon Glasses on eBay. Sometimes they get few bids and sometimes they go for a bit more like this one here... Still, save your money Tom and get the Riedels. Just my opinion before I have to hear everyone saying oh no, the other ones are soooo nice.

Hey, while you're there on eBay, check this out. That person has got to be out of their mind! If it sells I'm going to a craft store TODAY to buy myself a gold marker... wink.gif

Tom, I'm with Mark... stick with the Riedel. The glassware you've shown has a slight outbend on the rim. You'd be amazed at how this can affect - negatively - the concentration of the nose. If you liked your previous Riedel, these glasses would be less effective in that portion of your tasting experience. Pretty glasses, though smile.gif

The glassware you've shown has a slight outbend on the rim. You'd be amazed at how this can affect - negatively

Notice though that the glass curves in slightly before flaring out at the end. IMHO, this concentrates the bouquet then gently places the bourbon on your tongue. What do you find negative about it Dave? cool.gif

Jeff, I'll ramble on here for a quick minute about this, since it's an interest of mine.

I'm a big believer in the concept that if you're not using your nose, you're missing out on alot of what's in the bottle (that may sound obvious, forgive me). Try enjoying your favourite bourbon when you have a sinus cold, and you'll see what I mean. Or take a taste of bourbon when your nose is pinched and all you'll get is the burn.

I've done a ton of side-by-side comparisons of different glass shapes (all of the glass shapes in my original glassware poll photo plus many others). In side-by-side tastings, ALL the glasses with a slight outbend on the rim effectively diffused the nose a bit too much for bourbon, IMHO.

The Riedel scotch glass (second from left) is a perfect example of an rim that diffuses the nose, but in the case of single malts, sometimes the nose is overpowering. However with the finer spirit - bourbon - the Riedel glass is simply too wide at the rim.

I'd be the first to admit that some folks don't like a heavy nose. Some like the body of the bourbon, some the finish, TEHO. I love the nose, so FOR ME, that's a negative thing to diffuse.

To complicate things, I sometimes even choose a different glass for a different mood, especially with some bourbons like Knob Creek, which can have a very woody nose. Heck, I'll even enjoy a bourbon in a lowball glass. For me, it's just a different way to enjoy.

In the photo, the third and forth from left are also Sc*tch tasting glasses (Bowmore and Springbank) with the wider rim. I’ve tried many bourbons in those glasses but the nose gets lost. My current favourite is on the far right, a french wine tasting glass.

The advantage of sticking with a good nosing glass, is that if you find the nose a bit overpowering for the spirit, you can adjust the angle, or your breathing, and reduce the nose. However with a wider rim, there’s not a lot you can do to increase the nose.

Jeff, I challenge you to put the same bourbon in different glassware and do a side-by-side. Better yet, do a blind taste testing in different glassware. Then get back to me with your results. I'd be interested in your comments.

toast.gif

post-346-14489811321724_thumb.jpg

Couldn't agree with you more Dave. I used to think it was all BS but after getting quite an assortment of glasses and using them all there definately is a difference. I've got the same glasses as you, with the exception of 1 but I have that Blenders Malt Glass thing that wasnt in your pic, and I still go back to the Riedel Bourbon glass every time. The glass you say you like on the far right is similiar to what they have at Buffalo Trace every year we go there for tastings.

And completely forget about shot glasses! They're for the JD crowd. But that's a completely different rant!

toast.gif

The thing I don't particularly like about the Riedel bourbon glass is its construction. It is part of the "overture" line of inexpensive glass-made Riedels, whereas the Single Malt is part of the Vinum line, made of crystal. Why does bourbon take a back seat here hot.gif? While I might not own an entire set of bourbon tasting ware, I have drank from glasses that resemble those pictured here, as well as the finest dixie cups money can buy lol.gif, and I keep comming back to my Rare Breed glasses. Just what I enjoy I guess. I also think that there is a psychological effect when drinking from "fancy" glasses. You expect it to taste better, so it does. JMHO toast.gif

I know what you mean about the lower quality of the Riedel bourbon glass. It's one thing I don't like about it. And frankly I also don't like the branding (Small Batch Collection) around the base.... Can you show me a photo of your favourite Rare Breed glass? In the photo a couple of posts back, the glass on the far left is a rare breed snifter, but I have a sneaking suspicion that you're talking about something different.

It is part of the "overture" line of inexpensive glass-made Riedels, whereas the Single Malt is part of the Vinum line, made of crystal.

OMG, you sound like Chris! lol.gif I can buy 2 sets of the Riedel Bourbon glasses for what one of those, in my opinion, worthless Riedel Scotch glasses costs... I could care if its crystal or glass. The only thing that I do care a bit about that i find makes a bit of difference is the thickness of the lip. The bourbon glass from Riedel is plenty thin compared to normal glasses. Hell, the scotch glass from riedel is almost too thin, I can see it breaking eventually. In the end though it's like you and we all have been saying, it's just one's personal preference.

Dave, click here for a picture from a previous post. Not the best pic, but it will give you an idea. I like the think, heavy feel of these glasses and the slight taper inward of the sides. Just feels good in the hand. toast.gif

You mean the Rare Breed old Fashioned Glass, like the ones they sold in the booth at the festival?? I have to admit that this would be my everyday drinking glass. i am glad folks suggested me picking one up (it was the absolute last thing I did, on my way back to the car to leave for OH).

TomC

My Dad has these double shot glasses with flare lips (I know, I'm sorry blush.gif) that I bought for him like 7 years ago as a birthday present, and I have to admit that sipping Booker's from them when I was down there (FLA) visiting in August was a very pleasurable thing, so maybe certain shot glasses arent a completely lost cause. . .

TomC

Hey Tom, visiting a Dad, pouring some Bookers, and enjoying a sip as friends is indeed a pleasurable thing in any glass ! smile.gif

toast.gif

Based on your comments, I would think that the snifter (far left) would be as good as or better than the wine glass (far right). Can you comment on your experiences comparing these two glasses?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.