Glassware Poll

Dave_in_Canada
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Glassware Poll  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Glassware Poll

• Blender's Nosing Glass
    • Scotch whisky or brandy
    • Riedel scotch
    • Riedel Bourbon
    • Brandy, Cognac
    • Lowball glass

You guys are educating me already.

I have been sipping my bourbon from thick, hefty “old-fashioned†glasses, which I picked up at a thrift store for 99 cents each. They are faceted, hold about 4 oz each, and are quite heavy. I have enjoyed drinking out of them because a) I like the hefty feeling in my hand, and B) it’s easy to gauge when an ounce or two has been poured into the glass.

When I started this thread, I was ready to concede that there may, in fact, be a psychological factor involved in drinking out of this or that kind of glass; however I had doubts that a certain kind of glass could noticeably effect the drinking experience. When I finished the thread, I was curious. So, last night, I broke out a small brandy snifter, (which hasn’t been used in a while,) and poured myself a splash of EW SB(‘93).

Wow! That glass made a huge difference, as far as what hit my nose. The other glasses simply did not yield the same thing to my oversized schnozzle. The difference was immediate and conspicuous. The snifter feels kinda classy in the hand, too.

AS I sat there, swirling, sniffing, and sipping, I made an observation as to how the snifter “worksâ€. The bourbon in the glass sits in shallow pool at the bottom, maximizing the surface area via which the liquor can “breatheâ€. AND, when given a gentle swirl, the whiskey leaves a small film around the lower walls of the glass, which also serves as evaporative surface area. Thus, you have a WHOLE lot more air and whiskey in contact with each other, facillitating a vapourous exchange. Also, the tapered shape of the glass keeps those precious vapors in a pocket of air that is less likely to be disturbed and dispersed by “outside†air. The net effect is remarkable.

The only thing I didn’t like about it was the rather extreme taper, which made it slightly unnatural to drink out of. The bottom of the glass had to be lifted WAY up to get the nectar into my mouth. Perhaps I’ll look for one with a less radical taper; or maybe a pair of those sweet looking Riedels.

wink.gif

• 10 months later...

Heaven Hill has introduced a set of Glencairn tasting glasses with the various HH logos etched into them (i.e. The "HH" heaven hill logo, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Old Fitzgerald) I picked up a couple while attending the preview and I must say that I am impressed with them so far.

Jeff,

I would have guessed you would like the Glencairn glass. Its slightly weighted bottom reminds me of the weighted Rare Breed (?) glasses (or glass frown.gif ) you like so well. At the same time it captures aroma as well as the Reidel glass, IMO, and without that air of fragility that makes me worry about breakage rather than enjoying the contents.

Do you happen to know the availability of the HH glasses now?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Dave,

As far as I know, the only place to purchase the HH glasses is at the HH visitors center. I would be happy to pick up some for you the next time I'm there. I think it is still legal to ship glassware across state lines, isn't it? confused.gifgrin.gif

Your right, I like the heavy bottoms, just like the Rare Breed glass. toast.gif

Hey, I have some Rare Breed glasses I bought months ago (last Christmas?) and never opened. So, they are that nice, huh?

I guess I'd better go open them. smirk.gif

Tim

I have some Glencairn glasses , purchased from Malt Advocate, and they are excellent. I also enjoy a good ol' rolypoly design that fits in the palm of your hand. Yes, like the Shell Oil glass.

Wow! More info on glassware than I could have imagined.

I too have been taking my bourbon in a simple lowball glass. I've got a set with my family crest on the side. I have looked at some of the high-end glasses and, even taking into account the positive psychological factor, would just rather spend my money on more bourbon. yum.gif

I just realized after all this time I never voted in this one!!! I'm glad I waited though, because at the time this was written I would have done a write-in vote for "who cares!?", but after discovering the magic of the Riedel Bourbon glass I've become a believer.

• 6 months later...

i have always enjoyed the simple lowball rocks glass

then i tried some out of a brandy snifter and was amazed at how the aromas are forced to the nose

so i purchased a set of rocks glasses are are curved at the top like a brandy snifter and i have everything just how i like it smile.gif

I tried some bourbon out of a crazy looking wine glass from Slovenia this week. It looks like a tulip sort of, bit more tapered in than the regular pink wine style tulip glass. I tried to google the company to find a glass picture to link to but had no luck. (My camera's on the blink or I'd post a pic). Anyway, the glass rim fits right on the top of your lip and forced the liquid over the top of the tongue, trickling off the sides. Every spirit we tasted out of this glass seemed softer and easier. We jokingly laughed and said this may be the glass to get more women drinking bourbon, especially the fashionable Manhattan types. Don't laugh at me when I show up at the Festival with one of these so you can try it.

I find brandy snifters fine for some bourbons but the higher the alcohol content the more that can overpower from the concentration.

The Scotch malt whisky society glasses are my favourite. Everything seems to taste great out of them even Scotch wink.gif

post-575-14489811916595_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

just received my Reidel Bourbon glasses! yes!

They are a lot smaller that I was imagining, but very cool.

I usually drink out of a short tumbler, neat.

now i have a reason to crack another Stagg. woohoo.gif

I don't know, but as a hobby, I make drinking glasses very similar to that... Heavy bases, smooth curves, thin lips, almost no tooling marks, no molds or cold working used.

I'll post some pics sometime...

-monte-

Did you say?

but as a hobby, I make drinking glasses

I'd love to send you some sketches and maybe we could design the "perfect" SB.com bourbon vessel.

I took a glassblowing glass in college. I was making Dewar seals and my classmates were making bongs. I really should get back into it.

Whaddya Say Monte? woohoo.gif

maybe we could design the "perfect" SB.com bourbon vessel.

The "SB.com glass" if you will. Count me in! Let's do this. Nothing better than a hand-crafted piece of art as a sampling and conversation piece all in one! Sign me up for a set!

It's definitely possible - send along some sketches! I'll get some photos put together and post them here - maybe there's already one in my repertiore that will work?

I do have to warn you, without the use of molds, it's sorta tough to make two or more of the same glass. I can get close, but they're never exact. That's actually a feature if you think about it the right way, but it does pose problems sometimes, for example when you're trying to accurately compare two spirits...

The type of glassblowing I'm doing is with a 300 lb. crucible of 2100 degree F soft glass and a 5' blowpipe - is that what you studied? Fun stuff, although now that summer is arriving, the sweating will really start!!

Take care,

-monte-

• 1 month later...

Like bluesbassdad I have come to rely on my Rare Breed glasses (they were included in a Christmas offering a few years ago). They have a similar taper to the Reidel glass but a larger area and overall size that fits my (somewhat less than delicate) hands better. (6'6" 310#s.... you get the idea). I have thought about trying a set of the Reidel Bourbon glasses but these seem to do quite nicely.

Cheers,

Ken

I like to use a large brandy snifter. If it's good enough for fine cognac it should be adequate for bourbon. I have found it so.

Joe usflag.gif

Ken,

I've had a change of heart and habit regarding glassware since I made that post.

The Rare Breed glass is still my first choice on the increasingly rare occasions when I drink bourbon on the rocks. Otherwise, it's about 50/50 between the Glencairn and the Riedel. I've even learned from experience that my fears that the stem of the Riedel glass will break without warning were unfounded. Nevetheless, I still find the Riedel glass less comfortable to hold than the Glencairn. The foot and short stem may photograph well, but they are anything but ergonomic, IMO.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Which Rare Breed glasses are you guys talking about? I have two sets, both tapered inward, but otherwise very different:

post-367-14489811964028_thumb.jpg

post-367-14489811964028_thumb.jpg

I can't believe that there is a vessel "Good Enough" for cognac. Its so vain, It probably thinks this post is about it.

stickpoke.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.