Glassware Poll

Dave_in_Canada
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Glassware Poll  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Glassware Poll

• Blender's Nosing Glass
    • Scotch whisky or brandy
    • Riedel scotch
    • Riedel Bourbon
    • Brandy, Cognac
    • Lowball glass

I was talking about the glass on the right. It just feels "right" to me BUT I have not tried either of the other glasses. Looks like I have research to do (darn it!!! ;-)

Cheers,

Ken

"Otherwise, it's about 50/50 between the Glencairn and the Riedel. "

Thanks Dave, The Glencairn glass looks alot like the nosing glass I got when we toured the Scotch Malt Whiskey Heritage Center this Spring.... I like it for tasting but it doesn't have quite the volumn I like for 'sipping'. The Reidel glass lookslike it would be kinda small too (just barely larger than my Reidel Tulip glasses). It's a great size for tasting.... just not for drinking IMO.

Cheers,

Ken

. . . but it doesn't have quite the volumn I like for 'sipping'.

Dave, I saw that post. Followed up on the Reidel site and found (as was said in that thread further down) that there are several different sizes in the same basic style. I think my local beverage-meister carrys things like this. Maybe I'll pop in on him Friday...... I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers!

Ken

Hi Dave, well, I did go look at the Reidel "O" series but actually purchased the schott-zwiesel top ten cask aged spirits glass. It's great. I left a more detailed review in the 'Pure Glass by Maison du Whisky' thread. I was a little confused by the way it handled the Laphroaig 10. If anyone has any thoughts on that or opinions on this glass I'd enjoy hearing them.

Cheers,

Ken

I enjoy using a snifter from time to time, but I personally love a lowball glass. Unfortunately, one out of my set of 4 did not survive a recent move. frown.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I chose the riedel scotch, though I no longer own one (broke three) but my second would be the glencairn (it still lives) haven't tried the bourbon glass yet, and yes I like some others always ask for a snifter when I'm out at a bar

• 3 weeks later...

I chose the lowball glass, mostly because my other choices at home include wine galsses and regular juice glasses. I'm pretty knew to bourbon being a recent convert from JD and I'm not sure the glass will have an impact on the way I enjoy bourbon. Has anyone changed their choice since they first posted based on trying a new glass type?

I chose the lowball glass, mostly because my other choices at home include wine galsses and regular juice glasses. I'm pretty knew to bourbon being a recent convert from JD and I'm not sure the glass will have an impact on the way I enjoy bourbon. Has anyone changed their choice since they first posted based on trying a new glass type?

Welcome to the forum!!

Yes, if you read above I have. Before trying the Schott Zweisel glass (the one in my avatar) I used a lowball glass as well. It was fine but this glass suites my needs better.

Happy hunting,

Ken

Jay,

I think the glass makes a big difference. You will find a lot of differing opinions on this site. I'll give you mine:

Since Bourbon is on par with fine Cognac, and I drink my Bourbon neet (also my Cognac), I prefer a brandy snifter. I find it works well for the way I enjoy bourbon. But, It's all a matter of opinion.

Joe usflag.gif

Yes the glass can make a big difference, for example between the riedel scotch and the glencairne scotch. While either work quite well up to about 94 proof or so(for me anyway) above that the rather small opening of the glencairn glass concentrates to alcohol in the nose so much that George T Stagg will almost burn your nose hairs. Whereas the much more open(actually flaring outward) Riedel scotch makes the high alcohol less intrusive allowing the aroma to show better.

I least thats my way of seeing it. As always your milage may vary.

My nose is just big enough that it doesn't go all the way into a Glencairn - the tip of my nose hits the rim.

In any case, I've found that even Stagg, or a cask-strength Scotch or Irish, isn't at all unpleasant from a nose point of view, when I'm drinking from a Glencairn.

Then again, I find that the tongue/palate plays a somewhat greater role than the nose, as far as how I enjoy whisky.

I used to use a highball glass with ice, but I've found that I much prefer my pours neat in a Glencairn now. I haven't tried a Riedel glass, though. Lead crystal kind of scares me, especially when combined with high-strength spirits.

I haven't tried a Riedel glass, though. Lead crystal kind of scares me, especially when combined with high-strength spirits.

Yeah, I know what you mean. That Schott Zwiesel glass I'm using now took out the lead. They used Titanium instead. I don't know enough about glass chemistry to explain that but it is a great glass (and I don't worry about the Titanium reacting with anything - even the soon to be released 141 proof GTS!)

Cheers,

Ken

What little I know about glass is that the lead is what gives lead crystal that "crystal clear", sparkling look.

Also, I do not beleive any damage is done to you over the short time a drink is in a glass, but you are definitely not supposed to store wine or spirits in lead crystal for months. It will definitely absorb some of the lead over extended time periods.

Tim

What little I know about glass is that the lead is what gives lead crystal that "crystal clear", sparkling look.

Also, I do not beleive any damage is done to you over the short time a drink is in a glass, but you are definitely not supposed to store wine or spirits in lead crystal for months. It will definitely absorb some of the lead over extended time periods.

Tim

As a chemistry professor, specializing in analytical chemistry, I agree with Tim on all points. The lead content, as "lead oxide", gives the "lead crystal" its high refractive index, which is what makes it "crystal clear and sparkling". Over short periods of time, there is negligible leaching of lead content from a lead crystal glass. But long term storage in a lead crystal decanter would lead to higher lead levels in the liquid in the decanter. I seriously doubt it would cause any problems, but why risk it? I have never seen any studies giving the actual lead levels leached from the lead crystal, but I assume it is somewhere in the scientific literature. Ed V.

As an alchemist, I would add that symmptoms of exposure to lead include:

The need to pre-order GTS from your local merchant

The urge to try different bourbons

Loss of memory, for example, "Do I have a 1994 EWSB? I better pick up one, just in case"

Need to socialize with others about the virtues of yeast excrement.

Uncontrollable (Think Close Encounter of the 3rd Kind) urge to travel to Bardstown in September

If you have any of these symptons, you are likely to be a victim of PICA, lead intoxication.

(You should immediately examine your white blood cells for basophilic stipling)

horseshit.gif

As an alchemist, I would add that symmptoms of exposure to lead include:

The need to pre-order GTS from your local merchant

The urge to try different bourbons

Loss of memory, for example, "Do I have a 1994 EWSB? I better pick up one, just in case"

Need to socialize with others about the virtues of yeast excrement.

Uncontrollable (Think Close Encounter of the 3rd Kind) urge to travel to Bardstown in September

If you have any of these symptons, you are likely to be a victim of PICA, lead intoxication.

(You should immediately examine your white blood cells for basophilic stipling)

horseshit.gif

Any of these symptoms?? I have ALL of those symptoms!!! I think I'm clinically dead!

Ken

Ed and Tim, agreed, heavily leaded crystal is beautiful AND, one of the things I've always enjoyed is the clear tone (what my wife and I call 'the clink'). Also a function of the lead if I were to guess.

The Schott glass does a wonderful job at both. They really did a nice job with it. And for a delicate looking glass it actually feels quite solid. I looked at the Reidel 'O' series and had a vision of it shattering in my hand (just call me Mr. Delicate!) Take a look if you get a chance.

Cheers,

Ken

Thanks for the great replies. I've been inspired to try out a few different glasses to see if I notice any difference.

I think to test the concept correctly, though, I'm going to have to try each brand brand in each glass. Maybe more than once. smile.gif

Jay

Thanks for the great replies. I've been inspired to try out a few different glasses to see if I notice any difference.

I think to test the concept correctly, though, I'm going to have to try each brand brand in each glass. Maybe more than once. smile.gif

Jay

That's absolutely true. Aside from differences in the Bourbons and differences in the glasses you'll find (at least I do) things seem different on different days. Depends on what you had for dinner, how the weather is, etc, etc.... Doing the research is the fun part, for sure. Most people here (me included) enjoy different glassware for different moods and different environments. 90% of the time I'll choose the Schott glass, 8% Wild Turkey lowball and 2% amount the other 8 glasses I have. That is for neat. For Kentucky Iced Tea I use a hiball glass.

Have fun,

Ken toast.gif

• 2 months later...

There is one glass in my bar reserved for drinking bourbon neat. It is a pre-Civil War mold-blown whiskey tumbler. These were the everyday glassware used in the bars/saloons in the mid 1800s. Although it has many flaws (read character) from the cast iron mold it was pressed in I am amazed that after kicking around for 150 years it is still crystal clear and has no cracks or chips. The perfect tool for the job.

Cheers, Alan

Thanks for going to all the trouble. I really envy your flint mold-blown lead glass whiskey tumbler.

Ed

Alan, I'm impressed with the history of your glass, thanks for the photo.

To satisfy my curiosity, what are the tel-tale signs that this glass is 150 years old? Can you explain what a molded glass is/was compared to other alternatives for making glassware in that period?

If I were to look for one at an estate sale or second hand store, how would I know it if I found one?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Best regards, dougdog

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.