Glassware Poll

Dave_in_Canada
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Glassware Poll  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Glassware Poll

• Blender's Nosing Glass
    • Scotch whisky or brandy
    • Riedel scotch
    • Riedel Bourbon
    • Brandy, Cognac
    • Lowball glass

dougdog,

"Flint Glass" is a term for glassware with a lead content that is pressed into a cast iron mold. In the United States “Flint Glass†was only produced prior to the Civil War as lead was reserved for the manufacture of ammunition at the start of the war. Pieces with lead content are quite heavy and have a bell sound or ring when you “ping†the glass with your finger. The cast iron molds would crack after many uses, but were still used. These cracks were transposed onto the glass during the forming process and show up as fine lines on the outside of the glass. There may also some defects on the inside of the glass for the same reason. I bought this glass from an antique dealer who specializes in glass.

Regards, Alan

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have either of those, and mine don't look like a barrel, either. Mine seem to be a fourth version. Mine were purchased (in an RB Christmas bonus package) two years ago.

Tim

• 6 months later...

I am currently divided between two glasses, one being the Riedel Cognac Hennessy glass and the Riedel Single Malt Whisky glass (Riedel Scotch). I nearly always use the later for Scotch. Like many people've posted it does minimize the nose, but I've always preferred the nose of bourbon to the nose of scotch so that's not as important to me and the payoff comes in the improved taste over a lowball, IMO.

For bourbon, I prefer the Cognac glass, I know its not strictly intented for bourbon, but I find it does a great job of emphasizing the nose, while minimizing the odor of alcohol. I can hold the glass completely up to my face, as you would to nose a glass of wine, even with Stagg and fully enjoy the aroma without any burn and the curved lip helps me savor the wonderful flavor. Only for the oaky, full-bodied bourbons do I use my Scotch glass, ie the older van winkles.

If you're in the market for a new glass to enhance your enjoyment, I highly recommend picking up the Riedel Cognac Hennessy glass, I picked up one from the vinum collection for around $15 and I am very happy with my purchase.

I'll chime in on this old thread. I use a cool glass which I picked up a dozen of this year at Ross (if you have this chain in your area). Made in Italy by Borgonovo each glass has a capacity of 160cc or 5 5/8oz. The way they are designed, you can tell exactly if you pour an oz or two oz in the bowl in the bottom. The handle fits two fingers perfectly, and your hand can cup the glass to warm the bourbon if desired. The cost was all of $10 for a set of 6 out the door. If you have a Ross store near you, go check, it saw some last week around here. The box says Diamant and as I said it is made by Borgonovo in Italy, They are closed out, but I checked out their website and they still make the same thing which is now called Tazzina Sunshine. Look here...

http://www.borgonovo.it/inglese/catalogo_frame.asp?view=ok&id_cat=3

and go to coffee and tea section and search for Tazzina Sunshine.

The best glass I've every used...why pay more.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for the tip. It's amazing how much perfectly functional glassware is available that doesn't carry a fancy name/price.

I keep hoping I'll find the perfect bourbon glass, even though I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I know that the Glencairn taster's glass feels odd in my hand and is too narrow at the top for comfortable sipping. Same for the Riedel bourbon glass. Most lowball glasses are too big for my taste when drinking bourbon neat.

A quick check of the yellow pages reveals that there's even a Ross store in nearby Prescott. I hope to pay them a visit soon.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

My favorite glass is the Riedel Cognac Hennessy Glass from their Vinum collection. It runs about 15 dollars and was initially designed for VS and VSOP cognacs but I find it works remarkably well with bourbon. Definately my favorite glass.

post-1550-14489812718339_thumb.jpg

Click on the image for a larger picture.

I believe that good whisky should be properly glassed. Like pistols and pocket knives, one size doesn't fit all for my tastes. If I'm just nosing, I like to use a Reidel aperitif glass with proper bowl and tapered rim. It uses less than an ounce and concentrates the nose well for me. If I'm nosing and tasting I like the new Reidel wine glass without the stem. The bottom is thin to allow the hand to warm the whisky and it has the proper bowl with tapered rim to concentrate the nose. For drinking I like the scotch glass with slight bowl, short stem, and tulip rim. I get far less whisky on my shirt later in the evening with this glass. In emergencies, I'll use my cupped hands, a mason jar, the wife's Waterford crystal rose vase or a nearly empty Campbells soup can. I once used a ladle for some freshly distilled stuff in an ammo can but that was an aberation in my normal routine. I regularly used an MRE polyethelene bag for my daily tent ration of home brew in the Gulf War and grew to like the great qualities it imparted on the spirit. It held a good quantity and could be shaped into any style you chose. The only requirement was to filter the sand out with your teeth prior to swallowing. I suppose in the end if it gets it to your lips and none is spilled then success is at hand.

• 2 weeks later...

I generally prefer a snifter, but often use a lowball glass as well. If it is going to be on the rocks, then it is always a lowball.

I voted "snifter", but sometimes use a reidel bourbon glass or lowball.

contrary to what seems popular for high proof whiskies like Stagg and Bookers I almost always use a snifter. It seems to give me better controll over just how big a sip I take and where in my mouth it lands. Stagg down the wrong pipe ain't fun.

I generally drink while waching TV in my favorite chair in a semi-reclined position so this may have something to do with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I very rarely use a snifter. I find that when I'm intending to take notes and consciously "taste" something, or when I'm having something for the first time or something I haven't had in a long time, I use a nosing glass. Otherwise I use a standard rocks glass.

I also have some odd v-shaped glasses (got them from Appleton Rum) that I use sometimes, mainly because they give me the illusion, due to their shape, that the pour is more generous than it really is.

I only use a rocks glass. A smaller size suits since I do not use ice (and rarely water), usually one of the distillery distributions obtained at Sampler and similar events. I prefer one that is clear glass and not etched, cut or otherwise obscured in any way.

Gary

I got a Riedel bourbon glass for X-mas and I really love it! I also got 2 medium crystal snifters. I have yet to try one of the snifters as I cannot put down the bourbon glass. I had been drinking neat pours out of the Bulleit and Four Roses bourbon glasses that I got at the KBF this year. I really like the Bulleit glasses (as seen in this picture) for their size and weight. BulleitBottleGlass.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to this and just ordered the Riedel Bourbon glasses but do like the looks for the Blenders Mixing Glass. Looking forward to being able to determin what glass I like.

• 3 weeks later...

To see if there was any difference in the nose of bourbon in different size brandy snifters, we poured Old Grandad BiB into 7 1/2 ounce, 30 ounce and 225 ounce (big enought to stick your head into) snifters. Everyone detected a difference. Some picked the "giant" snifter as presenting the best aroma while one or two picked the 30 ounce snifter as being the best. Nobody picked the small (7 1/2 ounce) snifter.

Joe :usflag:

To see if there was any difference in the nose of bourbon in different size brandy snifters, we poured Old Grandad BiB into 7 1/2 ounce, 30 ounce and 225 ounce (big enought to stick your head into) snifters. Everyone detected a difference. Some picked the "giant" snifter as presenting the best aroma while one or two picked the 30 ounce snifter as being the best. Nobody picked the small (7 1/2 ounce) snifter.

Joe :usflag:

Now that is interesting! I have always found smaller glasses to be too intense alcohol-wise. Why do people want to concentrate the aromas? That always burns the hair out of my nose! I find myself blowing into my glass or waving my hand over it to thin things down so I can actually smell it without hurting myself.

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same motivation when I experiment by holding the glass varying distances from my nose. I wonder whether the effect is the same?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I actually do enjoy concentrating the aromas via use of a snifter, and a snifter is my preferred vessel, but I also vary the distance I hold a glass from my nose, and I can detect certain aromas at a great distance from my glass (like vanilla or, with ryes, cinnamon), while others are only apparent with a more intent focus (such as dried fruit or tobacco).

Generally, I use a snifter the first time I pour a particular bourbon to really focus on tasting and smelling. Thereafter, it depends on my mood. I usually use a lowball glass, but I have a couple of small highball glasses I like because small pours appear quite large in the narrower cylinder.

OK. This might sound strange but this is how I "nose" using a snifter. First I hold the glass a few inches from my nose gently inhale deeply but slowly, (this saves nose hairs from being "scorched". Then I move the glass forward away from my face while I exhale. Then bringing it back to my nose (varying the distance depending on the proof) Inhale again. Repeat the process. Then take a sip.

• 4 weeks later...

First timer here, Hi all, I purchased 2 bottles of bourbon today, Woodford Reserve & Elijah Craig 12yo, on the way home from the liq-outlet I stopped at a local 'Dollar Store' I picked up 5 very nice glasses, I like a medium weight glass those thin ones always seem to break when I hurl them into the kitchen sink from the living room ( kidding ) and the heavy ones, well thats just not my style, I like my glasses very plain and simple nothing fancy and the best part is 5 glasses for $5.00 you can't beat that with a baseball bat, long ago a photographer told me that a good photographer can take a good picture with any kind of camera, but can be more inspired when working with the best equipment, so if using a special glass to enhance your experience when tasting bourbon works for you, I say go for it. hey you only live once. Night All.

Mark

I hope there aren't any employees of Hilton Hotels reading this, but my favorite "go to" glasses are a couple that found their way into my luggage after staying at various Hiltons. :blush: Not the standard old fashion glass that are usually in hotels. They're smaller, kinda like a juice glasses. Nice heavy bottom, smooth sides. I find them perfect for casual drinking. Plus, if I break one....well, you know what I mean. ;) But, if it's a special occasion, I go with the Reidel O's or Reidel bourbon glass.

Cheers!

JOE

• 1 month later...

I just got a set of Riedel Bourbon Glasses. I really like them. They fit nicely and securely in the hand. They are less likely to slip out of the hand like lowball glasses. Only time will tell how durable they are. They are also a little smaller than I expected.

I'll have to place my vote for the Riedels. Although, there will always be a special place for my lowball glasses.

• 1 month later...

I'm with CL. I use a lowball glass because I am not olfactorily agile enough to discern subtle differences in the aromas. I usually work on the taste first and then try to determine if I can pick out what I am tasting in the aroma. Don't get me wrong, I do smell the bourbon first because... well... it smells good. But that's as far as I can go, except for the obvious aroma of alcohol and sometimes char, I can also sometimes smell cherries. As far as vanilla, carmel, coffe cake or anything like that, I'm still working on it. Unless I'm smelling some things and don't know what to call them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.