Glassware Poll

Dave_in_Canada
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Glassware Poll  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Glassware Poll

• Blender's Nosing Glass
    • Scotch whisky or brandy
    • Riedel scotch
    • Riedel Bourbon
    • Brandy, Cognac
    • Lowball glass

Ahh, my Master Green Gem, please keep sharing your secrects.

If I may be so bold to ask you this.

My favorite way to enjoy the Nectar Of Kentucky is via a half pint bottle carried in the hip pocket of my jeans.

Does this pass my Master?

With only chared oak straw you use Master Highttower :D

"No, try not. Do or do not, there is no try"

I'm really conflicted on glassware . . . while I think I get a better understanding and appreciation of the flavors in whiskey from the Glencairn or over-sized snifter I have. For comfort and style, I just love the rocks glass . . . it doesn't tip easy, it's not as fragile, it's easy to hang onto and it reminds me of the cool guys from old movies. If I'm tasting (i.e. writing notes, etc.) or drinking high class grog, then I'll use the snifter or Glencairn, but for everyday sipping of everyday whiskey, I gotta pick the lowball, highball or rocks.

Cut any paste Andy's response for my own. I've got a smaller than average rocks glass which I use whenever I'm just drinking for bourbon's sake. Anytime I serious about it, I'll use the Glencairn.

As a glass, I don't really care for the Glencairn though. It doesn't sit in my hand as well as a rock glass, it's a pain to clean, and it's harder to drink out of when I want mah drink!

I'm not that picky on glassware and , like my taste in bourbon , preferences change by the week, but for now , the glass given at the Sampler by Woodford Reserve is a favorite. It's a short, curved lowball design with a thick base. Very different and very stable.

My normal vessel is the small, round based Four Roses glasses that they use at the tastings (and gave away at the Sampler this year). I did pick up a pair of Riedel bourbon glasses on my way home Sunday but I've been under the weather since Monday night and I've not had a chance to give them a try.

My normal vessel is the small, round based Four Roses glasses that they use at the tastings (and gave away at the Sampler this year). I did pick up a pair of Riedel bourbon glasses on my way home Sunday but I've been under the weather since Monday night and I've not had a chance to give them a try.

I like these as well. Corsair was doing a local event and 4R was there as well. Free pours of SmB and SB and a complementary glass. I had 3 drinks just so I could have a set of 4 glasses (I already had one from the tour).

I'm not that picky on glassware and , like my taste in bourbon , preferences change by the week, but for now , the glass given at the Sampler by Woodford Reserve is a favorite. It's a short, curved lowball design with a thick base. Very different and very stable.

Funny you should mention that, Liz and I were just saying tonight that was our favorite glass, it's so hand-friendly.

• 1 month later...

I use the blenders glass about 95% of the time I put about 30ml in and let her sit awhile to open up (add a drop or two water sometimes). The other 5% is for very special/rare whisk(e)y and I use the Micheal Jackson taste glass with lid (its #2 with a glass lid)

• 2 months later...

Being a Scotch drinker for a good number of years, I use a Glencairn for all whiskies. It has a good sized bowl, and a nice shape that concentrates the nose well enough. I also like the heft of the glass... it doesn't feel like I need to handle it with kid gloves. I do have a favorite crystal highball glass that I like quite bit too. Obviously, it doesn't do much for the nose, but, when I'm "just drinking" :cool: I like it for "ease of use". :grin:

I have since got one of those Riedel "Small Batch Bourbon" glasses and despite the fact it looks to the contrary, it really does enhance the bourbonic experience. Sadly the dogs knocked it out of the strainer today and it buster, so I need another one soon.

The glass I would really like to get my hands on to try is the Pure glass by Maison du whisky, as suggested previously in this forum. It looks to me like a great melding of the Old-Fashioned style glass with a more specific, snifter-tasting-style glass. I am really curious about how effective this mutation is.

Tom (Bleah) C

I really want one of these glasses. I have looked in every store I've been in, and had my wife look wherever she's at... no luck. Do you know where I can get one?

The Scotch malt whisky society glasses are my favourite. Everything seems to taste great out of them even Scotch wink.gif

That's because Scotch is great! :stickpoke: ... :D

I chose low-ball. I actually sip out of an oversized shot-glass from the San Antonio zoo more often. It is rounded like a rocks glass and almost bowl like. Works great and it's about a shot and a half. A couple of those a night and I'm good to go.

I really want one of these glasses. I have looked in every store I've been in, and had my wife look wherever she's at... no luck. Do you know where I can get one?

• 1 month later...

I always go with the low-ball glass. This is what my Dad always used. I have seen the Riedel bourbon glasses, but hadn't given it much thought. Not sure why, I have a bar full of Riedel wine glasses (over 20 in 4 sizes). I guess I need to buy some Riedel bourbon glasses and give them a try. Until then it is the low-ball glass.

Jim

I just can't see the rationalization for buying a crazy expensive glass. Granted I'm a newbie, I don't see how crystal would be better than cheap glass. I do understand shape plays a part. I just got one of these smaller wine tumblers for like $1.39. Sized up next to my collection of pint glasses I got for free for ordering pitchers at the pub.

glasses.jpg

Being a Scotch drinker for a good number of years, I use a Glencairn for all whiskies. It has a good sized bowl, and a nice shape that concentrates the nose well enough. I also like the heft of the glass... it doesn't feel like I need to handle it with kid gloves. I do have a favorite crystal highball glass that I like quite bit too. Obviously, it doesn't do much for the nose, but, when I'm "just drinking" :cool: I like it for "ease of use". :grin:

My sentiments exactly. I bounce back and forth between a few different Glencairn glasses that I own, but most often use the one that came with the Old Forester Repeal of Prohibition Bourbon. I occasionally use a highball glass at parties or while watching football with my buddies because the likelihood of breaking one of my Glencairns goes up a notch or two due to somewhat heavier consumption of whiskey and beer.

Can someone familiar with both the Glencairn and the Riedel bourbon glasses compare and contrast them for me? I've been meaning to try one of the Riedel glasses but the wider opening on top has prevented me from purchasing one, as I always felt that it would allow more of the nose to escape. Any thoughts?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.