So, whatcha smokin?

smokinjoe

20 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Damn Curtis, is that dinner walking around the yard?

Back on topic..... Thanks to Galvin0791 I enjoyed my first OpusX a few nights ago. Helluva good cigar!

My 8 and 3 year old daughters would kill me if I ate those chickens!

My most recent smoke was Punch London Club corona. Small ring gauge even for a Corona, at 40, and shorter at 5". It lasted me long enough for a walk around the more immediate neighborhood, don't remember about the taste as it was days ago. I'm also a novice. 

• I like it 1

Mark Twain churchill, since I saw it advertised in the Pipes and Cigars catalog, and at least liked the name/theme.

I'm not sure about it. It nearly went out partway through, and I relit it, causing bitterness at first. It could have been my fault since I was watching a cigar channel on youtube at the same time. Maybe I just got too interested in the video for a bit. But I'm not so sure because it went out almost at the wrapper...that would be convenient if it didn't leave me with a bitter taste in my mouth. 

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and try it again to be fair, but I might prefer a shorter, stronger cigar anyways. 

Padilla Reserva Corojo-99...I've smoked a couple cigars today, but Monday seems like my main cigar smoking day.

Had zero trouble with keeping it going unlike the Mark Twain Churchill earlier today, but I was monitoring it in a more active manner. Its flavor reminded me of Kentucky Fire Cured to some extent, which both surprised and pleased me. 

On 4/23/2018 at 5:23 PM, Lenient said:

Mark Twain churchill, since I saw it advertised in the Pipes and Cigars catalog, and at least liked the name/theme.

I'm not sure about it. It nearly went out partway through, and I relit it, causing bitterness at first. It could have been my fault since I was watching a cigar channel on youtube at the same time. Maybe I just got too interested in the video for a bit. But I'm not so sure because it went out almost at the wrapper...that would be convenient if it didn't leave me with a bitter taste in my mouth. 

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and try it again to be fair, but I might prefer a shorter, stronger cigar anyways. 

I liked the Mark Twain, but the one I smoked had build issues as well (split halfway through). I also wish they came in more conventional sizes.

Edited by BDanner
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, BDanner said:

I liked the Mark Twain, but the one I smoked had build issues as well (split halfway through). I also wish they came in more conventional sizes.

Hmm maybe it wasn't just me then. I also wish they had more sizes...I'm partial to coronas personally. 

Romacraft Intemperence - I liked it a lot. It had a sweet-smoky spice IMO, and I liked it. 

Parodi Ammezzati, by Avanti. A small cheroot using dark fired tobacco from Kentucky and Tennessee. They look rough, but I'm not having issues with draw, going out, or unraveling. Some unevenness with burn, though less of an issue as I wasn't expecting a premium cigar experience. Good for what I wanted right now, a short smoke. It's lasting a good while really. 

I forgot to post this one before. La Gloria Cubana--it's a big name cigar, but personally I don't think it fits my palate/preferences. I didn't like the flavor too much. IIRC it was a corona.

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2018 at 3:46 PM, Lenient said:

Hmm maybe it wasn't just me then. I also wish they had more sizes...I'm partial to coronas personally. 

As if on cue, got an email shortly after this post for a box of 20 Mark Twain No.1's for $35. I bit for less than $2/stick. So far, so good. No burn or build issues and it's the perfect dog walking or yard mowing cigar. It does tend to get a little bitter toward the end, but it's a bigger cigar than I like so by the time that happens I'm pretty much done anyway.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since the TV’s outside, I have a belly full of smoked pork, and it is just perfect temps, I’m going to settle in with a box pressed Oliva Serie V Melanio and a little Giants and Cubs.

FB4E27F1-71A1-403F-8525-A62BDBA85C48.jpeg

The thunderstorms have rolled through, there’s a pink sky to the west, Braves on the radio, and relaxing on the swing with an AF Don Carlos Presidente.  Cigar smoke hanging in a very humid air is really cool.  

ED0771A2-E1F1-4713-8B39-050B5ABD84DE.jpeg

• I like it 1

Finishing up s pretty darn good weekend with a pleasantly smoking San Cristobal Quintessance Epicure.  

479CEDDF-D847-421D-B15A-6297AE14D7E2.jpeg

Grabbed five random cigars at Total Wine, including a couple of these Casa de Garcias I'd never had because they were fairly cheap at $3-$4. Nothing bad to say about it but I'm not sure it stands out and wows me like the Romacraft Intemperence I had--which is also a Nicaraguan (IIRC). First impression is that for the price you could buy in bulk, maybe try them on other people without costing much. Again, at $3-$4 though I can't fault it. 

f7yc5.jpg

I can't seem to edit my past post on my phone here, but, I looked back at the receipt from Total Wine and apparently they scanned the 1 Romeo Y Juilieta I bought twice, and the Casa de Garcia once, a difference of like $4-$5...but I already smoked 1 Casa so I guess I can't get money back. Oh well. 

vqilpi.jpg

Another one I selected to put in my grab bag from Total Wine, Brick House. 

• I like it 1

Sometimes the simple, basic stuff hits the spot. La Aurora 1495 and FRYL on a beautiful evening in northern IL is starting the weekend off on a good note.

• I like it 1

Braves pregame on the radio, and this CAO La Traviata.  Threatened to split early on me, but healed nicely.  Spicy smoker with a lot of nuttiness. Not a great pairing with bourbon, but really nice with this Budweiser Repeal.  

9D1658FA-3901-427E-ADB9-FE9D69AB6D7B.jpeg

• I like it 1