So, whatcha smokin?

smokinjoe

Pretty much a cigar newbie, only smoke a couple times a year, but I am having one for Father's Day. I am really enjoying an AJ Fernandez Last Call Maduro paired with HH 6yr green label while looking at the stars. I always find this bourbon shines with a cigar. It is a really nice night.

• I like it 1

Nat Sherman Host and Wilke #191 in a Blakemar Briar.  Depends on the mood.

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoying one of my absolute favorites, Sombremesa. Bourbonjoe once told me, correctly I might add, that it's better than I deserve lol. :) 

My Father Flor de las Antilles to start the weekend.  Kind of an odd burn, and started out a bit hot, but what a great smoke this stick has evolved in to.  Chewy, nutty, and settling in to a great pairing with a chocolaty pour of Larceny.

AC0E7E76-F30F-4B17-9F82-71F0AF6080E9.jpeg

• I like it 1

I’ll join you Joe. A Montecristo/AJ Fernandez collaboration with some Nikka Coffey Grain.

Cheers buddy! ????

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, BigRich said:

I’ll join you Joe. A Montecristo/AJ Fernandez collaboration with some Nikka Coffey Grain.

Cheers buddy! ????

Back atcha!  Damn, we shoulda had a Friday Happy Hour today.  

Back atcha!  Damn, we shoulda had a Friday Happy Hour today.  

Nah, after the week I’ve had I would blitzed into JimmyLand on your patio by now.

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

My Father Flor de las Antilles to start the weekend.  Kind of an odd burn, and started out a bit hot, but what a great smoke this stick has evolved in to.  Chewy, nutty, and settling in to a great pairing with a chocolaty pour of Larceny.

AC0E7E76-F30F-4B17-9F82-71F0AF6080E9.jpeg

Joe - Is it wrong for me to say I like your ash?

25 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Joe - Is it wrong for me to say I like your ash?

BOTYs are never wrong...  :D

In the shade by the pond with an Oliva Master Blends III.  

2B50502B-2F37-4968-9D96-C693DB267149.jpeg

• I like it 1

So I consider myself a cigar rookie, even though I've enjoyed a good smoke for a number of years.  I dont smoke except for special occasions, like a fishing or hunting trip, so I'm still learning what I like and dont.  Hard to fine-tune with 6 cigars a year...

Recently decided to get serious about refining my tastes.  We have pretty good cigar companies in KC, so I ventured in to expand my selection.  

Today, while mowing the acreage, I took a break to smoke an A Fuente Gran Reserva with some RR10 and HWDR finished in MWND barrels.  Enjoyed the cigar and whiskey and plan to continue sampling.  Only complaint was that I only had a knife to cut the head and the wrapper unraveled.  Seemed like I had a easy way to solve the lack of a cutter, but it fell apart easier than it should have... 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2018 at 9:22 PM, Knilas said:

Rocky Patel Royale1532269897617~2.jpeg

I generally have had a pretty high opinion of Rocky’s, particularly the Connecticuts.  But, I am beginning to tire of the inconsistencies.  Tonight, I am again struggling with a harsh Connecticut, with a poor burn, and uneven draw.  I’m seeing this across the brand.   When they’re good, they’re good.  But, the stinkers are getting more frequent with them.  Too bad, really.  

• I like it 1

Agreed. I think they need to whoa back on the quantity and start focusing more on quality.

I generally have had a pretty high opinion of Rocky’s, particularly the Connecticuts.  But, I am beginning to tire of the inconsistencies.  Tonight, I am again struggling with a harsh Connecticut, with a poor burn, and uneven draw.  I’m seeing this across the brand.   When they’re good, they’re good.  But, the stinkers are getting more frequent with them.  Too bad, really.  

Yeah, that’s why I’ve avoided RPs for the last five years. So many more consistently quality smokes out there that I have no need to suffer with a crap stick.

Last night I had a Gurkha Typhoon (a 4X60 Nub knockoff/competitor). It was VERY good. Paired nicely with some WT101. If you like the Nubs, give this one a try.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2018 at 8:39 PM, Curtis Reed said:

DE Undercrown Sungrown. One of my favse30c89edf455efad7ffc8b45486f7d18.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really enjoyed this cigar tonight.  Paired with HMcK10 and a pleasant summer evening in the swing.  It's on the short list for my trip to Canada in October.

20180825_193130.jpg

Edited by gurgalunas
  • I like it 2

A well aged stick from Bull City Cigars (now known as Amendola Family Cigars) out of Durham NC. Pardon the intrusion of the Rum in Straight Bourbon Land (Kill Devil from Outer Banks Distilling in Manteo NC). Just experimenting with a different pairing tonight.

IMG_5906.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First cigar in a long while. A Velvet Rat from the Liga line. Burns quickly and is milder than a typical Liga privada.

IMG_20181006_182841.jpg