So, whatcha smokin?

smokinjoe

Have you not had good experiences with them in the past? I can tell from your posts that you are a lover of fine tobacco. For me, and some of my nerdier cigar friends, the lancero or panatella gives the best flavor representation of a given cigar make. The smaller ring gauge, which hasn’t been “fashionable” for over 20 years, gives more concentrated flavor than a Churchill or a Robusto. Smaller Coronas do the same but the lancero’s longer roll keeps a cool burn longer. This also tends to enhance the flavor. Just my 2 cents, which are probably work half a penny. I really wish lanceros were more widely available. Perfectos too for that matter.

I’m quite new to this I’ve had some smaller gauge cigars but this is my first lancero. I’ll certainly seek more out going forward.

Lancero’s give you all that tasty wrapper flavor.  They are harder to roll as well.  

I also wish the market would shift back again to smaller RG’s.  Corona, Corona Gorda, Lonsdales are the jam.  Too many people out there wanting to smoke 60 RG lockjaws. 

• I like it 1

Lancero’s give you all that tasty wrapper flavor.  They are harder to roll as well.  

I also wish the market would shift back again to smaller RG’s.  Corona, Corona Gorda, Lonsdales are the jam.  Too many people out there wanting to smoke 60 RG lockjaws. 

Possibly compensating for something ....
  • I like it 1

It’s an eye opener not many options out there. Most of the smaller gauge stuff I’ve had weren’t the best quality. This was my first good brand small gauge and yeah I’m hooked. Will keep my eyes out for more.

6 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

It’s an eye opener not many options out there. Most of the smaller gauge stuff I’ve had weren’t the best quality. This was my first good brand small gauge and yeah I’m hooked. Will keep my eyes out for more.

There’s a ton of good ones out there.  Seems like a lot of B&M’s don’t carry as many now due to the big RG trend.  A lot of it has to do with the value perceived to the smoker.  He feels like he’s getting more bang for his buck by buying big.  He actually is, because it costs maker’s more money to produce the bigger cigar, but they have to keep the price in line with the rest of the Vitola’s in that particular line.  They can’t charge three times the price for the 60rg than they do for the robusto.  A lot of manufactures hate making them, they’d rather stay more traditional, but...the market right now demands them.  

Wow what an awesome smoke, smells great, tastes great, smoked great. Not a Monte fan but definitely an AJ Fernandez fan.

Nice little robusto box pressed wonderland.

IMG_6120.JPG

IMG_6118.JPG

• I like it 1

I found this Gurkha kind of disappointing. I guess I shouldn’t expect much from a $15, 5 pack. It burned good and all but had a bad chemical taste.

IMG_6127.JPG

• I like it 2

I liked this a 5x50 robusto, my first Camacho and first triple Maduro. Didn’t think I’d like either. Well packed, burned great not nearly as strong as you’d expect from a triple Maduro and had a great slow even burn. I’d probably pick up another if it was part of a deal.

IMG_6139.JPG

• I like it 2

I'm a big MF fan.  The Judge and Le Bijou especially.  I've had a La Op before, but dont recall specifics.  Need to smoke a Gran Oferta that's in my humi too.

I'm a big MF fan.  The Judge and Le Bijou especially.  I've had a La Op before, but dont recall specifics.  Need to smoke a Gran Oferta that's in my humi too.

My Father is great the few I’ve had are fantastic. The one I posted above is a La Opulencia, maybe the best smoke I’ve ever had in this ~1 yr journey. There not cheap though. The few I’ve had where part of JR media samplers they post on there Instagram. I’d love to try a Le Bijou and definitely The Judge, heard its fantastic.

If you know anyplace online with good pricing let me know.

Smoking a nice Romeo y Julieta 1875 Nicaragua. A nice Toro, a step up from there basic offerings which I haven’t had much luck with recently. That being said the newer San Andreas and Romeo by Romeo have been nice.

Not only is it 5 o’clock somewhere, it’s 5 o’clock here!  Enjoying one of my faves in this San Cristobal Quintessence and a Jack Daniel’s Barrel Proof.  Helllloooo weekend!

C50EDD1E-34D7-449A-B38D-806C3B01DC41.jpeg

Not only is it 5 o’clock somewhere, it’s 5 o’clock here!  Enjoying one of my faves in this San Cristobal Quintessence and a Jack Daniel’s Barrel Proof.  Helllloooo weekend!
C50EDD1E-34D7-449A-B38D-806C3B01DC41.thumb.jpeg.f616e1c2ae9eb82e1741062e40613fb2.jpeg

You inspired me to pair some JD BP and s stick. It’s interesting when you nose your glass and it burns your nose hair. Also happens to be a pick from a place you seem to like.

Not sure about the cigar yet.

IMG_6224.JPG
IMG_6225.JPG

Crowned Heads JD Howard Single Action LE.
IMG_2343.thumb.jpg.b1109a9eabe0fe87337f00c0b8adefac.jpg

That cigar looks solid not familiar with the brand, of you picked it up online please share. Not certain about the pairing, how does the ER hold up? I seem to generally like ryes or drier bourbons. WT, BT and JB along with rye seems to hold up better.

That cigar looks solid not familiar with the brand, of you picked it up online please share. Not certain about the pairing, how does the ER hold up? I seem to generally like ryes or drier bourbons. WT, BT and JB along with rye seems to hold up better.

JD Howard is one of Crowned Heads core lines but this Single Action petite Lance was a limited edition released in 2015 and hard to come by now. It’s a Brazilian aparica Maduro wrapper. It’s pairing well but the ER is drinking way too easy. Some Lindt dark chocolate truffles are going good with these right now too.

• I like it 1

JD Howard is one of Crowned Heads core lines but this Single Action petite Lance was a limited edition released in 2015 and hard to come by now. It’s a Brazilian aparica Maduro wrapper. It’s pairing well but the ER is drinking way too easy. Some Lindt dark chocolate truffles are going good with these right now too.

Ha I think this is maybe the only Crowned Heads brand I haven’t tried and the ones I’ve had are really good.

If the smoke is bringing out the chocolate note in a lot of BT products than I’ll need to give the pairing a try.

Ha I think this is maybe the only Crowned Heads brand I haven’t tried and the ones I’ve had are really good.

If the smoke is bringing out the chocolate note in a lot of BT products than I’ll need to give the pairing a try.

Love Crowned Heads. This one tastes like a chocolate covered cherry so yeah it works. The closest vitola you’ll find to this is the HR46 corona Gorda.