So, whatcha smokin?

smokinjoe

1881 Perique Maduro. This is a Cigar from the Phillipines by Tabacalera. Nice smoke. 

IMG_20221112_170642108.jpg

• I like it 1

Alec Bradley Magic Toast. This is a version only sold in Germany.  Outstanding smoke. Smooth, lots of herbs and leather. Recommended. 

IMG_20221119_175505836.jpg

• I like it 2

Oliva O, while the Sun goes down.  Rare Breed in the glass.  Been in this Adirondack for the better part of the last 4 hours watching the world go by.  Quite possibly the best 4 hours I can think of spending the day after Thanksgiving.  Leftovers soon, then family movie night holiday classic with “Planes, Trains, and Automobiles “.  

AFA722FE-93C5-464F-AFA9-3EA3DE12719B.jpeg

• I like it 5

On 11/25/2022 at 5:26 PM, smokinjoe said:

Oliva O, while the Sun goes down.  Rare Breed in the glass.  Been in this Adirondack for the better part of the last 4 hours watching the world go by.  Quite possibly the best 4 hours I can think of spending the day after Thanksgiving.  Leftovers soon, then family movie night holiday classic with “Planes, Trains, and Automobiles “.  

AFA722FE-93C5-464F-AFA9-3EA3DE12719B.jpeg

Did you hear that they are releasing an extended cut with recently found scenes that were cut or shortened and thought lost?  I'm usually skeptical of such things but I'll always take more Martin & Candy. 

• I like it 1

San Lotano

I've never had any stick with AJ Fernandez name on the label that hasn't been good to great.

20221203_170957.jpg

• I like it 1

• 3 weeks later...

Really loving this Rocky Disciple Robusto.  Great draw, and beautiful nutty flavor with a hit of spice.  Pairing well with a Knob Creek PS.  

1685315E-4099-4AF5-8309-51A77B4EA999.jpeg

• I like it 3

Aaaahhh.  Nice to be able to sit outside again in decent temps and enjoy an after work cigar.  Montecristo Classic Series toro, and a pour of Maker’s.  

62407CA5-688A-42DE-BABA-44D438DE8CC3.jpeg

• I like it 3

Padron 3000 tonight after returning from celebrating extended family Christmas at my brothers.  I love Padron’s prodigious smoke plumes that hang in the air seemingly forever.  I almost wish there were skeeters 🦟 swarming tonight so I could gas ‘em out! 🤣🤣

570422B1-E2B9-46E2-9A84-19D9DC9D91E1.jpeg

• I like it 4

• 3 weeks later...

Some 25 years ago, I gave up pipes and switched exclusively to cigars.  Twenty years ago this month, I gave up cigars after making the mistake of figuring out what a year's worth of cigars cost me - one Butera going to work, one on the way home, plus miscellaneous others whenever.  Today, I celebrated by smoking a Perdomo 20th Anniversary with a nice Maduro wrapper.

As soon as the dizzyness goes away🤢, I intend on returning to my interrupted yard work and maybe having another 🙄.

• I like it 2

Ushering in the week’s decompression period with a Don Pepin Original Generosos on a Sunny but rapidly cooling late afternoon, here Down South.

1EE06FA0-2EBD-412B-AAAE-B617DC78B1A9.jpeg

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Some 25 years ago, I gave up pipes and switched exclusively to cigars.  Twenty years ago this month, I gave up cigars after making the mistake of figuring out what a year's worth of cigars cost me - one Butera going to work, one on the way home, plus miscellaneous others whenever.  Today, I celebrated by smoking a Perdomo 20th Anniversary with a nice Maduro wrapper.

As soon as the dizzyness goes away🤢, I intend on returning to my interrupted yard work and maybe having another 🙄.

Harry, I’m sure there are a number of us here who would like to have known you 20+ years ago and ride shotgun with you in your convertible, shooting the breeze, while enjoying a fine cigar.  

00DAF455-86EE-4831-B34A-757056C0FE57.jpeg

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Harry, I’m sure there are a number of us here who would like to have known you 20+ years ago and ride shotgun with you in your convertible, shooting the breeze, while enjoying a fine cigar.  

00DAF455-86EE-4831-B34A-757056C0FE57.jpeg

Confirmed.

• I like it 1

Crowned Heads Mil Dias Corona and some coffee. Freezing cold outside but nice air!

IMG_20230122_121917197_HDR.jpg

• I like it 1

On 1/22/2023 at 6:21 AM, Sven Heuchert said:

Crowned Heads Mil Dias Corona and some coffee. Freezing cold outside but nice air!

IMG_20230122_121917197_HDR.jpg

Totally off thread - wife and I and another couple spent our honeymoon on a Rhine River cruiser in 1974.  The stop in Cologne was wonderful.  I'd lived in Germany 1968 in the US Army but never made it to Cologne.  Surprising to me was - I drove through Sieburg in August 1968 on the way to Denmark and then back through it post-invasion [edit - of Czechoslovakia by Russia] when returning to my kasern in Landkreis Uffenheim.  Until I looked at a map a couple minutes ago, I had no idea you were that close to the KOLN Cathedral.  What an impressive edifice that is.  Cologne downtown struck me as a stodgy city, but the architecture . . .

Edited by Harry in WashDC

5 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Totally off thread - wife and I and another couple spent our honeymoon on a Rhine River cruiser in 1974.  The stop in Cologne was wonderful.  I'd lived in Germany 1968 in the US Army but never made it to Cologne.  Surprising to me was - I drove through Sieburg in August 1968 on the way to Denmark and then back through it post-invasion [edit - of Czechoslovakia by Russia] when returning to my kasern in Landkreis Uffenheim.  Until I looked at a map a couple minutes ago, I had no idea you were that close to the KOLN Cathedral.  What an impressive edifice that is.  Cologne downtown struck me as a stodgy city, but the architecture . . .

Very nice story! I wasn't born in 1968, but i guess you drove the A3 up north and passed Siegburg. It really is a small town compared to Cologne, roughly around 28 000 back then. When you cruised the Rhine, then you probably passed Bad Honnef and Königswinter, were the famous Drachenfels is - also a pretty known spot for politics, as you might know the capitol was Bonn back then, which is a lot closer to Siegburg. 

Yeah, Cologne is a bit of a diry city to be honest, and very crowded nowadays. Has still some nice spots, the Cathedral being on of 'em. It took 'em 700 hundred years to built that thing, at least it should look nice!

What was your impression of Germany back then? My grandpa's visit to the U.S.A was in the late 70's, and he said it was a culture shock for him, but in a good way: big cars, long roads, scenic drives, friendly people, spacious cities. 

It seems that every time this Winter that I want to get out by the fireplace and enjoy a bourbon and cigar, it rains.  Decided to start early, as rain is coming later…Oliva V Melanio, a PS Knob Creek, and a fire, is setting things up for a fine next couple of hours.  

FD577C9B-660D-4708-82C6-4BDE6B7ED473.jpeg

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

It seems that every time this Winter that I want to get out by the fireplace and enjoy a bourbon and cigar, it rains. 

When did you move to Seattle? And you didn't even tell me!

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

It seems that every time this Winter that I want to get out by the fireplace and enjoy a bourbon and cigar, it rains.  Decided to start early, as rain is coming later…Oliva V Melanio, a PS Knob Creek, and a fire, is setting things up for a fine next couple of hours.  

FD577C9B-660D-4708-82C6-4BDE6B7ED473.jpeg

I love your outdoor fireplace.  Awhile back I almost bought a house that had one of those but for other reasons I didn't pull the trigger on that house.  This reminds me that I could just install one for myself at my current place; however I don't think my current back yard has the extra space.  At least not without convincing Mrs. Kep anyway.  But someday!