So, whatcha smokin?

smokinjoe

Sunday evening with a 2014 Cohiba Siglo IV and Knob Creek Old Fashioneds

IMG_3857.jpg  IMG_3860.jpg

IMG_3862.jpg

Perdomo Reserve Champagne Noir Robusto.  The Maduro wrapper was aged 14 months, plus an additional 6 months in oak bourbon barrels.  This full leaning smoke paired quite will with a pour of Stagg Jr. @ 129.7 proof...

Crowned Heads La Imperiosa Magicos on the veranda this lovely evening.  This full bodied shorty is full of red pepper, fruit, earth, and leather and paired quite nicely with a pour of JBDO.

Tried a Hoyo Epicure #2 this evening.

Nothing offensive about it, pleasant enough, but nothing I would buy again.

46 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Tried a Hoyo Epicure #2 this evening.

Nothing offensive about it, pleasant enough, but nothing I would buy again.

I think Hoyos are by far my least favorite Cuban marca.  Never had one I really liked.  Herrera Esteli 2016 TAA for me tonight.  Someone told me about this Prism filter so I am playing with it.

IMG_3915.jpg  IMG_3923.jpg

IMG_3930.jpg

Haha very cool. The superstar Cuban I've had recently was a Vegas Robaina Robusto. I ordered my first box, but upsized to torpedoes. Should get here next week.

Also bought an assortment of others to learn.

Clearly I also need to learn my filters - haha on the Prism filter!

22 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Haha very cool. The superstar Cuban I've had recently was a Vegas Robaina Robusto. I ordered my first box, but upsized to torpedoes. Should get here next week.

Also bought an assortment of others to learn.

Clearly I also need to learn my filters - haha on the Prism filter!

I like all the VR vitolas myself - I've got some from the original release back in 97 I believe it was but there are also some Canadian Regionals from around 2012 that were excellent.  Only thing with Cuban's is that they aren't aged before sold, that means you have to buy and age to get the best out of them.  Much like wine buy them early at a lower rate then appreciate them as they age into their best

On 9/5/2016 at 1:49 AM, Hop said:

I like all the VR vitolas myself - I've got some from the original release back in 97 I believe it was but there are also some Canadian Regionals from around 2012 that were excellent.  Only thing with Cuban's is that they aren't aged before sold, that means you have to buy and age to get the best out of them.  Much like wine buy them early at a lower rate then appreciate them as they age into their best

Hey Hop I'm interested in this. The benefit of my old house English basement flat is that the humidity is about perfect for aging cigars.

There are varying opinions out there. How much aging do you reckon is right to put on something like a VR torpedo.

I recently bought a few 6-cases of absinthe with the intent to put 3yrs+ of bottle aging on them (apparently absinthe and chartreuse are the only spirits that benefit from bottle aging), so it won't hurt to add a few cigar boxes to the lay-down mix!

Best way to determine the aging is to lay back the cigars - in their own boxes is best as the Spanish Cedar helps with beetle control (you can freeze them for 48 hours upon purchase to kill any that may be there currently) - beetles aren't that common or common at all but I thought I'd share that information.

Then start by smoking one each year or so to see how they are coming along - I generally let them rest or age for 2-3 years before I start the process.  When you feel they have hit the "sweet spot" then smoke away.  It's not like they will necessarily go bad as I have some that are 20+ years old and they are great, what will happen with some over time is the flavors will "mute" but they are still very smokeable

I would recommend that your purchase a hygrometer (digital ones are only around $10-15) and place in your basement to take readings - you don't want your humidity to be over 70% as that can cause mold.  The best inexpensive storage is a simple cooler (igloo, coleman, etc...) as they seal very well and hold a lot.  

Let me know if you have any other questions 

I usually smoke $5-$10 sticks but this was a gift from my store owner, and boy do I see now what I've been missing out on. 

image.jpeg

Big ole Padron Maduro.  I love this 1000 series of the Padron.  Just an excellent inexpensive smoke.

IMG_3989.jpg  IMG_3992.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg  IMG_4002.jpg

Went up to Cigars International today and had a Bombay Sapphire Martini and a Perdomo 12 y/o Vintage cigar. Both were great.