So, whatcha smokin?

smokinjoe

Gorgeous afternoon here in Texas, just sitting on the patio with the pugs, a Montecristo Edmundo and some iced Black Rifle Coffee. Bourbon later tonight.

20190418_172059.thumb.jpg.aafaa42fbfe9c9dc86cd5fe2ecc1aac3.jpg

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

You guys are killing it with all the Cubans.

The only way I roll with cigars.

See post above.. ^^^^. [emoji16]

I get that is what he smokes, I’m asking why he only smokes Cubans. With so many quality smokes from other origins and the quality control issues from a strained Cuban supply I’m curious why only Cubans. It reminds me of the guys 5-10 yrs ago that only drank pappy.

I get that is what he smokes, I’m asking why he only smokes Cubans. With so many quality smokes from other origins and the quality control issues from a strained Cuban supply I’m curious why only Cubans. It reminds me of the guys 5-10 yrs ago that only drank pappy.
Can't speak for him. I smoke them simply because they taste better to me.
  • I like it 1

I’m having a Oliva Cain 550 Habano, paired with some Rebel Yell 10yr SB which is going very nicely together.

If you guys get bored of mild Cubanos, I recommend the Cain’s, a hefty spice bomb at 1/3rd the price. That being said if anyone has an online well priced reliable source of Cubanos please PM, por favor.

• I like it 1

Firing up a Diamond Crown Julius Caesar with some Nikka Coffey Malt tonight.

Solid smoke!

13 hours ago, Knilas said:
14 hours ago, BigRich said:

Can't speak for him. I smoke them simply because they taste better to me.

For those asking why CCs only for me, about 11 years ago I had my very first CC, it was a Cohiba Siglo III. Totally blew me away with how phenomenal it was. I started venturing into trying other CCs. I was smoking primarily NCs when I first started smoking cigars about 15 years ago. From about 2008 on, been only CCs. I don't enjoy the nicotine bombs that NCs have become, NCs flavor-wise just don't do it for me anymore. I remember the last NC I smoked, left a crappy taste in my mouth for days, CCs don't do that. I used to enjoy Rocky Patels, Illusiones, Tatuajes, Don Pepins, CAOs, and Alec Bradleys were my favorites, but they took a turn for the worse for me, just didn't do it flavor-wise. 

To put it more simply, CCs just taste better to me. They have a full range of mild to full bodied sticks in a variety of sizes that suit me. @BigRich I could see how it sounds similar to the guys that only drink Pappy, I would say that is more the guys that say they only smoke Cohibas and nothing else. I love a variety of the flavors from the Habanos profiles. Depending on my mood I may light up a spicy Partagas or a bold Bolivar to get that spice and white pepper flavor, or for something lighter I may light up a Hoyo de Monterrey. There are some QC issues with CCs, that's why I bought a Perfect Draw tool, saved me many cigars. I know some folks say, but you're missing out on so many other things, well, that's my choice. We could go on all day about NC vs CC and which is better and why. It's also not the forbidden fruit aspect either, every time I travel I bring back my allowable amount which is 4 boxes (100 cigars) and don't look back. Technically, you can bring back as much as you want for personal consumption, just everything over 100 cigars is taxable, so I just don't push it, and I travel enough to not have to try to do that. 

As with anything, smoke and drink what you enjoy!

• I like it 1

For those asking why CCs only for me, about 11 years ago I had my very first CC, it was a Cohiba Siglo III. Totally blew me away with how phenomenal it was. I started venturing into trying other CCs. I was smoking primarily NCs when I first started smoking cigars about 15 years ago. From about 2008 on, been only CCs. I don't enjoy the nicotine bombs that NCs have become, NCs flavor-wise just don't do it for me anymore. I remember the last NC I smoked, left a crappy taste in my mouth for days, CCs don't do that. I used to enjoy Rocky Patels, Illusiones, Tatuajes, Don Pepins, CAOs, and Alec Bradleys were my favorites, but they took a turn for the worse for me, just didn't do it flavor-wise. 

To put it more simply, CCs just taste better to me. They have a full range of mild to full bodied sticks in a variety of sizes that suit me. [mention=4277]BigRich[/mention] I could see how it sounds similar to the guys that only drink Pappy, I would say that is more the guys that say they only smoke Cohibas and nothing else. I love a variety of the flavors from the Habanos profiles. Depending on my mood I may light up a spicy Partagas or a bold Bolivar to get that spice and white pepper flavor, or for something lighter I may light up a Hoyo de Monterrey. There are some QC issues with CCs, that's why I bought a Perfect Draw tool, saved me many cigars. I know some folks say, but you're missing out on so many other things, well, that's my choice. We could go on all day about NC vs CC and which is better and why. It's also not the forbidden fruit aspect either, every time I travel I bring back my allowable amount which is 4 boxes (100 cigars) and don't look back. Technically, you can bring back as much as you want for personal consumption, just everything over 100 cigars is taxable, so I just don't push it, and I travel enough to not have to try to do that. 

So “ I only drink BTAC” would’ve been more appropriate. Absolutely drink and smoke what you want. I was more busting your chops for the flippant way you say it’s the only way you roll. Whether superior intonation was intended (and I believe it was not) it came across that way.

What are you compatriots for if not to poke the ole ego from time to time?
  • I like it 1

1 minute ago, BigRich said:

So “ I only drink BTAC” would’ve been more appropriate. Absolutely drink and smoke what you want. I was more busting your chops for the flippant way you say it’s the only way you roll. Whether superior intonation was intended (and I believe it was not) it came across that way.

What are you compatriots for if not to poke the ole ego from time to time?

Absolutely, lol! No superiority meant, just a statement of what I prefer to smoke. 

• I like it 1

To put it more simply, CCs just taste better to me. They have a full range of mild to full bodied sticks in a variety of sizes that suit me. [mention=4277]BigRich[/mention] I could see how it sounds similar to the guys that only drink Pappy, I would say that is more the guys that say they only smoke Cohibas and nothing else. I love a variety of the flavors from the Habanos profiles. Depending on my mood I may light up a spicy Partagas or a bold Bolivar to get that spice and white pepper flavor, or for something lighter I may light up a Hoyo de Monterrey. There are some QC issues with CCs, that's why I bought a Perfect Draw tool, saved me many cigars. I know some folks say, but you're missing out on so many other things, well, that's my choice. We could go on all day about NC vs CC and which is better and why. It's also not the forbidden fruit aspect either, every time I travel I bring back my allowable amount which is 4 boxes (100 cigars) and don't look back. Technically, you can bring back as much as you want for personal consumption, just everything over 100 cigars is taxable, so I just don't push it, and I travel enough to not have to try to do that. 

I'd say you nailed it. Couldn't have said it better myself, honestly. Although I will, on occasion, smoke an NC. I find them to be a nice change of pace from my Cubans. Sometimes I really crave one of those palette blasting pepper bombs! Or if I want to smoke something a lil closer to my beloved Cubanos...I'll pull a Padron outta my humi.

I will admit, when I first started down the slippery slope of cubans, I enjoyed the "forbidden fruit" aspect. But now they're almost as easy to purchase as any other cigar. You just have to know where to look and which vendor to trust. As far as Cohiba. Y'all can keep em. I think they're way overpriced and insanely overhyped. And any one of them under 5-6 years of age isn't worth the time and money. Give me a well cared for Partagas, Bolivar, Monte, or Ryj and I'm a happy camper. YMMV.

• I like it 1

All of this cigar talk and I gleefully realize it’s only 5 days until we all can enjoy the full sweet bouquet of Country’s real wood-tipped Black & Milds wafting through the crisp Kentucky air while underneath the GN Gazebo!  :D

• I like it 2

All of this cigar talk and I gleefully realize it’s only 5 days until we all can enjoy the full sweet bouquet of Country’s real wood-tipped Black & Milds wafting through the crisp Kentucky air while underneath the GN Gazebo!  [emoji3]

Now you’re gettin my motor runnin’!!!

5 hours ago, Knilas said:

I'd say you nailed it. Couldn't have said it better myself, honestly. Although I will, on occasion, smoke an NC. I find them to be a nice change of pace from my Cubans. Sometimes I really crave one of those palette blasting pepper bombs! Or if I want to smoke something a lil closer to my beloved Cubanos...I'll pull a Padron outta my humi.

I will admit, when I first started down the slippery slope of cubans, I enjoyed the "forbidden fruit" aspect. But now they're almost as easy to purchase as any other cigar. You just have to know where to look and which vendor to trust. As far as Cohiba. Y'all can keep em. I think they're way overpriced and insanely overhyped. And any one of them under 5-6 years of age isn't worth the time and money. Give me a well cared for Partagas, Bolivar, Monte, or Ryj and I'm a happy camper. YMMV.

I enjoy Cohibas, but yeah, gotta have 3-5 on them at least, they're an investment and a take your time cigar. As for the price, can't believe how expensive they've gotten. With the new blends coming out, and other cigars priced the way they are, I've been enjoying the HdM Le Hoyo de  San Juans and my favorite the RyJ Churchill a lot lately; for a robusto, a CoRo will always be my go to with PSD4 and Monte Edmundo. 

• I like it 1

Saturday afternoon of Easter weekend out on the patio with the pugs, a cigar, and some coffee. Bourbon after Mass this evening.

752989591_RyJDeLuxe.thumb.png.0b2d86925ac9c329af84f5d614a100a5.png

• I like it 1

I ain’t done a dang thing all day.  Too cold, too wet, too lazy...Well, I’m gonna ratchet things up a bit.  So, a fire, Padron  2000, bourbon, and Braves double header in CLE on the radio, seems like perfect capper to today.  I’m still going to work in a goodly amount of chair time, though...  :D

A05FA004-43B8-475A-B154-630072CF1508.jpeg

• I like it 2