What Rye Are You Drinking? Winter '12/'13

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm easing down the last pour from a VWFRR while processing about 300 photos from a family wedding this past weekend.

Thank goodness for Lightroom macros.

I've been giving it some consideration and that yellow label Beam is looking mighty tempting.

In NYC at a bar with a decent selection, finally got to try whistle pig, now that the remnants of that bottle are gone I have moved onto michters single barrel rye and baby Saz.. Staring at a bottle of Saz 18 but am afraid to know the $$ for a pour

Saz 18 last night. Maybe it was my palate, but it tasted thin, sour and oxidized to me. It was the first pour from the bottle, so that *might* have had something to do with it. I won't be buying any more until the BT stuff is ready.

Been on kind of a rye roll lately so WP and Saz18 were up last night,the contrast of profile between the two was most interesting.

Opened up my first bottle of HW Rendevous. Got some crazy dill on the nose out the gate, easy off to vegetal and sweetness. interesting stuff, I like it.

a guy at a liquor store sold me his van winkle rye today for 40$.....almost a full bottle. he bought it a couple years ago and said he didnt like it. turns out he was a crazed lunatic cuz this stuff is the bomb! imo it beats the sazerac 18 (the only other rye ive tried) hands down. glzd ive got a sealed bottle down in the basement!

next up is jeffersons.....i see its canadian.

Opened up my first bottle of HW Rendevous. Got some crazy dill on the nose out the gate, easy off to vegetal and sweetness. interesting stuff, I like it.

Its a rye kinda night. Ritt BIB better with each sip. Then my moving on to Bulleit, first time having it. Super rye nose , at 95 % what do u expect? Easy drinking rye whiskey. Very refreshing mouth feel. This will certainly help me keep that HW 21yr from opening itself. :-)

High West Double Rye for me tonight. I've only had 2 or 3 pours from that one but it is really growing on me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Some 08 Saz tonight. A bit tired upon opening around Christmas, but has picked up since them.

Sad that it will not see the end of the month, the bottle is going fast......:grin:

B

Head-to-head... Rittenhouse 100 and Wild Turkey Rye 101... For me, the winner is still WTR101, with Rittenhouse 100 coming in a strong second place. In reality, both are winners in this contest.

For me, the winner is still WTR101, with Rittenhouse 100 coming in a strong second place. In reality, both are winners in this contest.

And the obligatory, 'sounds like you're the winner here,' comment. Obligatory because it's true.

Had a taste of WT101 last night --- unfortunately, not a fan... probably just not a rye type of guy. Hopefully I like it better in an old fashioned.

Willet 4 year

Handy 2011

It is shaping up to be a rye night!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I just recently discovered Bulleit Rye. It has quickly become one of my favorite sippers. Wonderful whiskey.j

I had a chance to taste Leopold Bros Maryland Style Rye Whiskey last night. Delicious stuff and absolutely met the expectations set from my fondness for their American Small Batch Whiskey. Clean and light bodied with a somewhat winey strawberry jam motif, sprinkled with mellow, grainy pepper. A great, great table whiskey that feels great going down and has enough going on to keep me interested despite its young age.

I followed it up with a current C series VWFRR. Don't worry, no interest in comparing it to the LBMSRW. The 2012 allocation tastes less concentrated and lighter in body than the previous year's B series, as if it had whiskey in it closer to the 13 year age statement than the '85 distillates we all presume to still be present. It's still a homerun in my book, no question, and my bottle has been gaining flavor with air. It's terribly drinkable, and a miracle this bottle has lasted the weeks it has.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!