What Rye Are You Drinking? Winter '12/'13

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The LB Maryland Style Rye made an appearance at the GBS Christmas gala last month. I think it was generally well regarded with a few exceptions. At least one person didn't find it to be their cup o'rye but I enjoyed it myself. I don't have a discerning enough palate to pick up strawberry jam but in general I agree with your assessment. Certainly distinctive and one I will look forward to returning to in the future.

The LB Maryland Style Rye made an appearance at the GBS Christmas gala last month. I think it was generally well regarded with a few exceptions. At least one person didn't find it to be their cup o'rye but I enjoyed it myself. I don't have a discerning enough palate to pick up strawberry jam but in general I agree with your assessment. Certainly distinctive and one I will look forward to returning to in the future.

I enjoyed it, though youngish. Would like to try it again on an unabused palate. :D And, like Aaron, I thoroughly enjoy Leopold's American Small Batch. The one thing I noticed in the Rye, was an underlying similarity in the whiskey with the ASB. I don't know if that's a "house style" undertone, or what. But, there was a familiarity there. One, I enjoy.

Now, I'm sipping on a Ri1 that I purchased today for $19.99. This whiskey has never knocked me over, but it has grown on me. My first bottle at $48 was not so good at all. My second bottle at 29.99 was noticeably better, but still lacking. This $19.99 bottle is by far the best tasting Ri1 I've ever had...:D

I enjoyed it, though youngish. Would like to try it again on an unabused palate. :D And, like Aaron, I thoroughly enjoy Leopold's American Small Batch. The one thing I noticed in the Rye, was an underlying similarity in the whiskey with the ASB. I don't know if that's a "house style" undertone, or what. But, there was a familiarity there. One, I enjoy.

That can be arranged! And I even have the LB American Small Batch for comparison and contrasting. I suspect what you describe is something of a house style but perhaps one of the crerators will pop by and comment at some point.

I definitely enjoyed your LB Maryland Style Rye at the GBS gathering. I thought it had a great mouthfeel, though the spice was very subdued, which I believe is a characteristic of the Maryland style.

I'm sitting down now for the first time with the Holeman & Finch (Atlanta pub w/ its own liquor store) private bottling of HW Rendezvous. I have to say, the additional proof (100 proof) and the extra 29 months in ex-bourbon barrels after mingling really set this apart from the regular Rendezvous for me. I get great spice, with none of the dill pickle/grassy notes I usually get from the normal Rendezvous. There is also some additional sweetness. I assume this is the same private barrel program that people have noted that Binny's is now selling.

Masterson's 10 year old rye. This is a further bottle, the third I've bought, and even though the same batch as the others, I find each different somewhat. Some are more bitter seemingly, or a touch less sweet. I wonder if the corks have any influence. Some are quite highly colored, almost like a blue cheese, others are mostly white with only light veins.

This current one is the best. It smells of butterscotch candy, the minty kind. The taste is sweetish with oaky overtones, and light acetone/rye, and it flows very evenly on the palate.

Really a great whiskey especially if you hit the right bottle (and if you don't, buy another one or two and mingle it til you get it right).

Gary

First taste of Baby Saz. My palate isn't giving me anything specific tonight, but it sure tastes good. Picked up 3 bottles today at $30--not easy to come by around here.

I enjoyed it, though youngish. Would like to try it again on an unabused palate. :D And, like Aaron, I thoroughly enjoy Leopold's American Small Batch. The one thing I noticed in the Rye, was an underlying similarity in the whiskey with the ASB. I don't know if that's a "house style" undertone, or what.

They're similar because they both lean on esters (the raspberry or jammy notes) for the house profile you're mentioning. What you're tasting is the result of the bacterial infection I allow in the cypress fermenters.... and I allow this infection for both whiskies. The bacteria creates organic acids which esterify in the barrel.

So very glad to hear that you folks are enjoying it. We'll have some BIB of both the Maryland Rye and the Bourbon in a few years. Perhaps that will allay your entirely accurate 'youngish' comment.

Cheers

Last evening, a wonderful Manhattan of Bulleit Rye, Carpano Antica Formula vermouth, and Angostura bitters.

Tim

WhistlePig is on the agenda for tonight, along with some Jefferson's Straight Rye when The Pig is dusted.

Last evening, a wonderful Manhattan of Bulleit Rye, Carpano Antica Formula vermouth, and Angostura bitters.

Tim

They're similar because they both lean on esters (the raspberry or jammy notes) for the house profile you're mentioning. What you're tasting is the result of the bacterial infection I allow in the cypress fermenters.... and I allow this infection for both whiskies. The bacteria creates organic acids which esterify in the barrel.

So very glad to hear that you folks are enjoying it. We'll have some BIB of both the Maryland Rye and the Bourbon in a few years. Perhaps that will allay your entirely accurate 'youngish' comment.

Cheers

BTW, if you're thinking about a new label description for your whiskies, I'd stick with the "raspberry or jammy notes" descriptors, and hold off on the bacterial infection part...:lol:

:toast:

Heh. Point taken. Figured you guys liked the techo-nerd details, though.

Along the same line of thinking, our new distillery will feature floor malting, and our vodka will be the only vodka made with floor malt in the world... so we joked about how we can't call it "Floor Vodka" for the same reason we can't call the other stuff "Bacterially Infected Bourbon". : )

Sipping on some Classic Cask 21 year. Sublime. One of the best ryes under 100 proof that I have ever had. Wonderful balance of oak and leather dryness with molasses, maple, and vanilla sweetness.

I was wondering when you were going to crack into some of that CC21, glad to hear its a winner!

Did you ever determine the source of the juice?

I was wondering when you were going to crack into some of that CC21, glad to hear its a winner!

Did you ever determine the source of the juice?

Masterson's 10 year old rye. This is a further bottle, the third I've bought, and even though the same batch as the others, I find each different somewhat. Some are more bitter seemingly, or a touch less sweet. I wonder if the corks have any influence. Some are quite highly colored, almost like a blue cheese, others are mostly white with only light veins.

This current one is the best. It smells of butterscotch candy, the minty kind. The taste is sweetish with oaky overtones, and light acetone/rye, and it flows very evenly on the palate.

Really a great whiskey especially if you hit the right bottle (and if you don't, buy another one or two and mingle it til you get it right).

Gary

Did you buy this in Ontario?

3 Hirsch 22yo's I was watching are gone. Someone found a nice stash and bought them all. Glad i got mine a few weeks ago.

I am sipping on Bulleitt tonight. Refreshing nose on this unseasonably warm day, coats the inside of your mouth nicely and a wonderfully long and warming finish. So many attributes can be applied but I would be missing out on drinking time and the game.

Just finishing off the last of a TH Handy. Obviously, the best part of the bottle, with it's gritty char-infused ending. Love that char...:yum:

Enjoying a little Old Potrero this afternoon and may finish off with some Saz 18 after dinner.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!