What Rye Are You Drinking? Winter '12/'13

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Back again with the Bulleitt. May try some Ritt BIB next.

My Rittenhouse BIB is getting dangerously low after a long summer of ginger ale & ryes. I thought about it the other day and am thankful that I can still pick up this fine whiskey for only $20.

My Rittenhouse BIB is getting dangerously low after a long summer of ginger ale & ryes. I thought about it the other day and am thankful that I can still pick up this fine whiskey for only $20.

Yes! I see plenty visiting my regular stops! Hard to beat that price!

Some Willett 3 year old single barrel rye. I've mostly been using this bottle for Sazeracs, but its pretty solid with a splash of water.

I was going very light last night so I also had a Manhattan. Except I left the rye and the bitters out...:lol:

Man, that Carpano is some good stuff all by itself!

Bulleit until last week when my retailer took a $6 a bottle price increase. Back to the old main stay Ritt BB with Handy for Sunday.

I had a pour of HW21 at a bar tonight; despite my proximity, the first taste of it I've had, and it was very enjoyable.

Glad to get out to a bar tonight, not the most common thing for my wife and me. May prohibition never return!

Had my second pour of Baby Saz. As a relative newb to rye, I must say the Baby Saz is damn fine whiskey. Glad I bought the 3 bottles on the shelf when I had the chance. Now to do a little head to head with the Ritt BIB I've had open for awhile.

Had my second pour of Baby Saz. As a relative newb to rye, I must say the Baby Saz is damn fine whiskey. Glad I bought the 3 bottles on the shelf when I had the chance. Now to do a little head to head with the Ritt BIB I've had open for awhile.

I enjoy Baby Saz too. And though I'm generally not one to make mixed drinks very often, that Ritt BIB of yours goes nicely with some ginger ale for a change of pace, so much so that even my wife likes it. Is Baby Saz hard to get where you live? Decent price?

I enjoy Baby Saz too. And though I'm generally not one to make mixed drinks very often, that Ritt BIB of yours goes nicely with some ginger ale for a change of pace, so much so that even my wife likes it. Is Baby Saz hard to get where you live? Decent price?

Nice--I'm not huge on mixing either, but when I do, it is usually with ginger ale. Not completely opposed to doing that with Dickel, Irish, bourbon, etc.

As to Baby Saz, yes, it is pretty scarce around NY/NJ, and it goes for about $30. Not great, but not terrible. Ritt BIB and the various other ryes--Bulleit, Michter's, Knob, RR, Jeff, etc. are pretty plentiful. In my experience, Baby Saz is a "buy it when you see it" kind of thing.

Same here, cracked a new bottle of Ritt last night. Two things stuck out at me: it was pretty earthy (in a good way), and the mouthfeel was very round and creamy. This is still DSP-354 but it's some of the best I've had from Ritt. The earthiness is crisp and vegetal, like a freshly plowed field in the spring.

I'm staring at another couple of hours of paperwork ahead of me, so I figured I'd go with something I won't pig out on. So, dialing up Woodford New Cask Rye. :D Though from a visual (it's much darker) I thought from the get-go I'd prefer this bottle to it's partner in the MC set, I've always enjoyed the lighter one better. Tonight, it is an OK pour. Unfortuntely, the WR pot still profile overpowers any rye character that I wish I could enjoy more thoroughly. I am OK with that profile on the bourbon selections, but here, it just doesn't contribute any positives to the whiskey.

A local bar tweeted about the arrival of a few bottles of Saz18 and THH. Having never tried the Saz18, it dutifully trudged through the snow and cold for the privilege of paying through the nose for a double measure. This is a Rye that has been consistently lauded over the years here at SB and elsewhere.

Maybe it was just my palate, or the fact that the bottle had only recently been opened, but I wasn't nearly as blown away as I thought I would be. Don't get me wrong, I do love old rye. VWFRR still lingers in my memory as one of the best things I've ever tasted. And I just recently finished a bottle of V21 that I thoroughly enjoyed. This Saz was good, maybe even great ... but not mind blowing. I might go back in a few weeks and try it again with a fresh palate, after time and aeration have worked their magic, to see if I like it better.

Afterward I came home and poured myself a generous glass of Ritt BIB (from a bottle that cost only $5 more than that double shot of Saz) and wondered why I bothered going out in the cold.

Having never tried the Saz18, it dutifully trudged through the snow and cold for the privilege of paying through the nose for a double measure. This is a Rye that has been consistently lauded over the years here at SB and elsewhere.

Maybe it was just my palate, or the fact that the bottle had only recently been opened, but I wasn't nearly as blown away as I thought I would be.

This goes to show that, indeed, tastes can be quite different. I have had most of the older ryes and Sazerac 18 still ranks as my second favorite.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!