What Rye Are You Drinking? Winter '12/'13

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This goes to show that, indeed, tastes can be quite different. I have had most of the older ryes and Sazerac 18 still ranks as my second favorite.

Agreed, to me Handy is nothing more than barrel strength baby Saz, where as Saz18 is liquid candy in my glass but I also really do not like ryes that are less than 10 yrs old with 18-23 being the sweet spot age wise for my Pallette

I think Thomas Handy is one of the best whiskies on the market. I also think that Sazerac 18 (20) is something special. It's like PVW 20. It's very subtle yet elegant. It's not the kick in the teeth that Handy might be and it doesn't have the heavy oak influence that the Vintage Ryes or BMH have. I'll be sad when the spigot eventually runs dry on this fine whiskey.

Could you imagine Handy at 15 years old?!?!?!?

Well, hopefully we won't have to imagine for too much longer.

Isn't the prevailing speculation that BT tanked the COK/Saz18 and are portioning it out for just long enough to allow the BT Saz juice to mature? With any luck, in a few years THH will be able to take its rightful place in the Antique collection as a full-fledged teenaged Rye (hopefully still barrel strength/NCF).

I think Thomas Handy is one of the best whiskies on the market. I also think that Sazerac 18 (20) is something special. It's like PVW 20. It's very subtle yet elegant. It's not the kick in the teeth that Handy might be and it doesn't have the heavy oak influence that the Vintage Ryes or BMH have. I'll be sad when the spigot eventually runs dry on this fine whiskey.

My thoughts on THH mirror yours, Bradley. Saz 18 is a gorgeous whiskey, indeed. Love the stuff. But, the Handy is a whold 'nuther animal. "Kick in the teeth". "Punch me in the nose and make my eyes water." "Up and bitch slaps me on first sip." "Effie, brace yourself." "2 X 4 to the forehead wake-up call." etc. It's all that, and that's why it's such a thrill to drink it. I try and buy just about every bottle I see.

It's been quite a while since I've had a pour of the VWFRR,so tonight was the night to crack a fresh bottle.Opening this bottle was based on craving alone and damn am I glad I did,just the way I remember it perfect in almost ever way!

It's a rye night. Willett 3 yr and some Baby Saz. My wife tried the Baby Saz and said it tasted like flowers which is probably the most positive description shes ever used while tasting a whiskey.

An interesting and odd "flight" of rye last night. WhistlePig, Pendleton 1910 and JD Unaged Rye. The WhistlePig was the easy winner but I still enjoy the softer sweeter notes of the Pendleton 1910 even at 80 proof. The JD rye is in its own little world but I do enjoy its unique flavor as an occasional pour.

I have heard from 2 different industry sources now that the Saz 18 has run its course and we won't be seeing it next year. Anyone else hear anything along these lines?

On topic I had the holy grail tonight. The Bowman cask strength rye.

Tried the Dickel Rye today at one of my local stores I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised,this is a nice little whiskey for $24.

I haven't tried it yet, but today I was able to find my first WT 101 rye. It was just sitting all by itself looking lonely, so I thought it should come home with me. Looking forward to cracking it open and having a pour!

You called it correctley, Saz 18 ain't all that.

The Handy on the other hand is better even at 11 years younger.

Could you imagine Handy at 15 years old?!?!?!?

Or at 9-10ish?

As for Saz 18.... The tiny amount I have left goes into sazerac cocktails in tiny amounts. ;)

Casey at Mac McGee's slipped me a pour of Hooker's House Rye last night at dinner at the restaurant. It's another release from Prohibition Spirits in Sonoma, CA. MGPI sourced rye that has been finished in Zinfandel wine barrels. The finishing effects of the zin barrels on the trademark minty MGPI rye profile made for an interesting result, that was a very enjoyable after dinner sipper. The mint and zin didn't fight, and it did not seem out of balance at all, as I expected it might be before trying it. A very nice effort from Prohibition. Not factoring in cost, which I don't know, I would put this on my radar as a "pick up" at retail. But, I tend to like the "finished" segment of the bourbon and rye offerings, as an occasional break from the norm.

I started off with WT 101, now on to Ritt BiB. I have to say that while the WT was good, my vote goes to the Ritt BiB.

how is the (current??) RR rye? I remember really liking it at one point, but I haven't seen it at retail for quite some time.

Additionally, when can we expect to see DSP-1 Ritt? I picked up a DSP-354 a couple months in anticipation of the switch-over and want to make sure I can get in a head-to-head before I finish this bottle.

I had a couple of pours of Ri1 at the bar at the Sacramento Airport earlier this week, while waiting for my flight back to LA. I also recently purchased my second, though significantly discounted bottle. I yawned at this whiskey when it was first released, as being dull, bland and boring. Well, I'm going to change those negative descriptions to "subtle", as I continue to rather enjoy this rye. I'm afraid my quest for that punch in the nose rye hit, prevented me from finding the nice fine flavors in it. It is in fact, though subtle, a very nice whiskey.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!