What Rye Are You Drinking? Winter '12/'13

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

LOL, subtle and very nice - at the right price, eh?

;)

The pours at the airport were $14 a pop. Had 3 of them. I joked earlier in this thread a couple of weeks ago that I was enjoying the Ri1 much more at the $19 I had just payed for a bottle.:D But, I say in all sincerity that I am enjoying it now, regardless of price. There's more flavor stuff going on in it than I gave it credit for a couple of years ago.

Hmm. Perhaps I should revisit Ri1. I haven't tried the Knob Creek Rye- how do they compare to one another?

Hmm. Perhaps I should revisit Ri1. I haven't tried the Knob Creek Rye- how do they compare to one another?

Erik, the KCR is much bolder. I liken it to more of a WT 101 Rye. I can't say if the flavor profile is the same as KCR, as I haven't done a side-by-side, but the KCR does pack a healthy rye punch. I enjoy it very much. The thing on the Ri1 is that I so easily dismissed it a couple of years ago...but, my changing tastes find it very enjoyable, now. Even though it doesn't kick me in the teeth like I like ryes to do, it is enjoyably flavorful. But, subtle...

Happily found a bottle of Willett 4 yr old. I love this stuff.

I really can't tell much difference between the 4 and 5 year old. Not a bad LDI rye. Much more floral and assertive than say a Jefferson or WT rye

Shared some High West 21 with friends during the game. Wasn't really in a whiskey mood most of the night, but I needed a small pour during that second half!

birthday eve, no work tomorrow, breaking out the last of the Saz 18 in the bottle. Probably enough for two nice glasses worth.

it was a 09 that started a bit slow, but it's come into a pretty satisfying last half of a bottle.

B

VWFRR from a recently opened bottle and damn could I drink this every day,but the scarcity and my limited number of bottles causes me to be most humble with my pours.

Polished off another bottle of Rendezvous Rye, I should consider buying High West stock given the amount of empty bottles my household has generated

Having my first ever pour of Saz 18 and all I can say is "Wow". The nose is phenomenal with that familiar rye spice but also a sweetness and oakiness that balances nicely. The thick and luscious mouth feel with some spice up front and sweetness on the finish equates to just a wonderful drinking experience in my opinion.

On a side note, I picked this up along with a GTS a few months ago as my first foray into the BTAC and after spending some time with the GTS, I was thinking that maybe my expectations were a little too high. I like the Stagg and appreciate the amount of flavor that can come from such a strong spirit, but after having this first pour of the Saz, I'd gladly trade a Stagg for a Saz any day of the week. I'll check back in in a few weeks and let you know if this sentiment continues.

Having my first ever pour of Saz 18 and all I can say is "Wow". The nose is phenomenal with that familiar rye spice but also a sweetness and oakiness that balances nicely. The thick and luscious mouth feel with some spice up front and sweetness on the finish equates to just a wonderful drinking experience in my opinion.

On a side note, I picked this up along with a GTS a few months ago as my first foray into the BTAC and after spending some time with the GTS, I was thinking that maybe my expectations were a little too high. I like the Stagg and appreciate the amount of flavor that can come from such a strong spirit, but after having this first pour of the Saz, I'd gladly trade a Stagg for a Saz any day of the week. I'll check back in in a few weeks and let you know if this sentiment continues.

The 2012 Stagg has not lived up to some of the previous iterations, IMO. I would generally take a Stagg over a Saz, but I agree with you on the 2012 version.

Anyone seen Ritt BIB lately? I've been keeping my eye out for months thinking there should be a release soon, but I'm getting impatient!

Anyone seen Ritt BIB lately? I've been keeping my eye out for months thinking there should be a release soon, but I'm getting impatient!

I run in to it all over the place in NKY. I went almost two years and didn't see a bottle and then around last August/ September cases of it have been available.

Mike

Wish I was awash in Rittenhouse, streams have dried up around here.

Lots of it in Arizona. Along with Handy. Wish there was more Willett

Wish I was awash in Rittenhouse, streams have dried up around here.

Stock coming to LCBO - even though price jumped 14% since it was available last year, its time to stock up!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!