What Rye Are You Drinking? Winter '12/'13

callmeox
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

nice pour of some baby Saz tonight.

Been some time since I've had one open, still a sweet rye.

I've seen a couple in the wild recently, but haven't been too keen on the price attached to them.

B

They are all over in the Twin Cities at the $25-$30 range.

Baby Saz has definitely made a stock resurgence in the NY/NJ area, generally at $29.99, which I consider a reasonable price for this whiskey. Would love a bit cheaper, but I think it is great stuff.

Having a pour of VWFRR. This is some very good rye! I will try to make this bottle last a while, but it will be tough to stay away!

They are all over in the Twin Cities at the $25-$30 range.

Thanks, last one I saw out of state was pushing in the high $30's.

Did pass one up in town yesterday at $29.

But already have a couple for the time being, and that's good enough for now.

Besides, the misses has put more of a travel restriction on me now with a the new family addition. But I wouldn't trade him for anything. It's the greatest thing in the world to come home after a crappy day and see that little face light up at you. Melts the grump right away......

B

You said it Sean! I will have to track some down this Fall when it comes out, if I can wait that long. Really, really good stuff!

Having a pour of VWFRR. This is some very good rye! I will try to make this bottle last a while, but it will be tough to stay away!

I have heard that VWFRR gets better with a few months of air. I cannot comment because I have never had a bottle stick around that long.

had a pour of the VWFRR a few nights ago from a bottle i opened up over a year ago. have been trying to nurse it for a while now. what struck me was in how much it has changed since i first opened it. a lot of the rye spice notes have worn off or at least are not as strong, but the candy, sweet creamy notes up front have really taken over. still great stuff, but very different from the first sip

Right now I have open a RR BIB, a HW Rendezvous and VWFRR.

Don't get me wrong, I dearly love the older, more expensive ryes, but if all I had was RR BIB and HH White BIB for the rest of my life, I would still be happy.

Had some 2011 Saz 18 last night. Bottle has been open for about a year. Great stuff, I think it is in it's prime right now. It tasted incredibly well balanced.

It was the monthly Scotch Social at a friend of mine's house -- we usually get five to fifteen attendees. Last night we had seventeen.

When the three scotches that were on offer were getting quite low (they started from already-opened bottles), I remembered that I had a freshly-purchased Baby Saz in the car.

3/4 of that bottle is now gone, though because I was driving, I only had a wee bit (nearly all of those attending could take the MBTA subway home).

Thank you, friends! :D

Having a healthy pour of 2011 THH. Still one of my top 5 favorite drams - it feels like a big warm hug from a spiced cake :grin:

Having a healthy pour of 2011 THH. Still one of my top 5 favorite drams - it feels like a big warm hug from a spiced cake :grin:

Midway thru a WTR101 bottle - this has changed quite a bit over time, but not for the worse.

Had some HW Double Rye last night, and need to try that with more distance from THH. Completely different animals, and I wasn't expecting similarity - but the first thought that crossed my mind was "Who put Scotch in my HWDR bottle??" All of the pollen in the air could be messing with the olfactory as well there!

Think I'm breaking into this 2012 VWFRR tonight. But really I just wanted to show off this nifty rye tag I found today. :P

post-8673-1448981872906_thumb.jpg

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!