Botm 1/13: Old Forester Signature

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If you stumble upon it, the OF Repeal bottling is very interesting, with the "signature" rich flavor of OF. I have one 375ml bottle left, and enjoy it as an "on occasion" bourbon. It could never be a regular for me though with its pretty intense flavor profile.

In full disclosure, I got two of the gift sets with the 375ml bottle and a glencairn glass for under $20 total, so again, price plays a factor in my views on the Repeal Bourbon. At under $20 for a full 750ml, it's a fun Bourbon imho.

Just bought a bottlenof Signature, new label. Much better than earlier examples I have had. A little corn on the nose, but buckets of brown sugar and vanilla. The palate follows the nose pretty closely, with a pleasantly warming, bitter chocolate finish. I'll be buying a couple more for the bunker.

• 1 month later...

My OF Signature is 100 proof with screw cap, but does'nt say BIB anywhere. Is this an odd bottling, or are your Signatures 100 proof, too? I'm just now comparing it to EW Black, which is a third less money, and not a third less flavor. This OF Signature is salty, almost overpoweringly so. The nose has just a wiff of detergent, like a laundromat smell, weird. The bottle is half empty, been open since before Christmas, but I don't remember this smell, or the saltiness. Maybe it's just me tonight, but don't get either one from the EW Black. I don't think I'd buy it again, even for $17, much less $22.

Old Forester has dropped the BIB designation and renamed it Signature, but it's still 100 proof.

• 1 month later...

Howdy,

Recently discovered this delightful, middle shelf Bourbon and I'm digging it as a daily pour. I like it better than JB Black label or WT101, although the former is a solid Bourbon as well. If there's a better bang-for- the buck Bourbon, please post it!

Old Forester has dropped the BIB designation and renamed it Signature, but it's still 100 proof.

As usual, The Squire nails it. But more than 100 proof is required by the BIB Act. The whiskey must also be the product of a single distillery made during a single distillation season and spend at least four years in a federally bonded rickhouse. Signature is still 100 proof but, evidently, it does not meet one or more of the other criteria.

As usual, The Squire nails it. But more than 100 proof is required by the BIB Act. The whiskey must also be the product of a single distillery made during a single distillation season and spend at least four years in a federally bonded rickhouse. Signature is still 100 proof but, evidently, it does not meet one or more of the other criteria.

I can't get this here in Texas. I hope to try it someday.

I can't get this here in Texas. I hope to try it someday.

It's certainly not at most stores around here, but I'm pretty sure that I saw a bottle of it somewhere within the last few months. If I remember correctly I passed on it because it was a 1.75 and I didn't want to buy that much.

• 1 month later...

This just showed up in Oregon this month. Picked up a bottle for tasting, I'll crack it and do a side-by-side with WR.

I actually prefer the Signature to WR - I don't get that copper penny thing with the Signature, and there seems to be more of the brown sugar / caramel going on. Woodford comes off a bit bitter to me and while there is a little of that in the Signature finish, it isn't off-putting or pushing to the point where it throws things out of balance.

The 1.75L bottle I purchased is growing on me. I really enjoyed it out of my flask when I went to see Olympus Has Fallen... out of the flask, I didn't get nearly as much copper penny, and the sweetness stood out (was it just the atmosphere/mental aspect, or something to do with the flask, who knows?).

Not something I'll rush out for again, seeing as I can only get the family size here, but I may pick up OF 86 sooner than later.

I actually prefer the Signature to WR - I don't get that copper penny thing with the Signature, and there seems to be more of the brown sugar / caramel going on. Woodford comes off a bit bitter to me and while there is a little of that in the Signature finish, it isn't off-putting or pushing to the point where it throws things out of balance.
I couldn't agree more if I tried and at $15 less it's a no brainer ever time,I couldn't even tell you the last time I picked up a WR or for that matter even gave it a second look.

I share that thought Ryan, I've pretty much settled on Forester Signature as my choice of the Brown-Forman whiskys.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.