What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Winter 2013?

Alphanumeric
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't wan't to step on any toes here but I figured someone should create this thread, seeing as we've not only barrelled past spring and summer, but now also 2012. I hope no one was looking forward to seeing how long the old thread could continue past its expiration date. I apologize if so...

Tonight was a Ward Eight for me. I wasn't setting hopes high based on Imbibe/Esquire's lukewarm review of it.

Rye (Old Overholt), OJ, lemon, and grenadine (homemade) came together quite well. The review deemed it 'good but nothing special', but I'd say it was a happy, albeit simplistic, union of ingredients that I'd willingly make again. And I was even able to use up my Old Overholt and not grimace!

Sounds like a good combination, one does not always need a lot of ingredients for a cocktail. This should also work well with Bourbon.

• 2 weeks later...

A cocktail I tried recently that incorporates both bourbon and Curacao that might appeal to the crowd here if you have Lillet (Cocchi Americano could also work. In fact it might even be better if you like a little bitterness to your cocktail). It is called the Kentucky Corpse Reviver and is a variation on the classic Corpse Reviver #2.

3/4 ounce Bourbon (Elijah Craig 12 was specified in the recipe I used but similar bourbons would work)

3/4 ounce Curaçao (Pierre Ferrand Curaçao recommended!)

3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice (always use fresh squeezed, not bottled, when you can!)

3/4 ounce Lillet Blanc (or Cocchi Americano as noted)

Garnish: mint sprig

Shake with ice until chilled (about 15 seconds, Most people don't shake long enough) and serve up in coupe with mint garnish.

Barton Sunrise with lunch. One ounce Barton, two ounces orange juice, 1/2 ounce grenadine, cherry optional.

Purchased some Woodford Reserve Spiced Cherry Bitters tonight, and giving them a go in a Manhattan. Not too bad.

Manhattans all day. All made with Perucchi Vermouth and Boker Bitters.

1) Leopold Bros. Maryland Rye. My absolute favorite young rye. Wish I could get this more easily on the east coast. Had to up the percentage given the proof but 2 oz. in a Manhattan works well.

2) Whistlepig 100. Terrific whiskey and my pick of the year when it was first released. But I'm coming around to Chuck's opinion that ryes without sufficient corn in the mash are a little one dimensional. No complaints as the Falcons play for the blow out.

3) Rathskeller Rye. Seelbach Hotel's barrel proof bottling. Great whiskey but a little hot out of the bottle. 1 1/2 oz in a Manhattan and a couple of minutes stirring on ice and it tames down to something transcendent. Or maybe it's just that the 49ers have fought back to make it a game.

To be continued.

My version of the Toronto Cocktail:

2oz Baby Saz

.75oz Simple

.5oz Fernet Branca

Angostura

Regan's Orange Bitters

Stir, strain, garnish with flamed orange peel, rub peel on rim of the glass

Serve over one big rock, final quick stir to distribute orange oil.

It's like a Toronto meets the Old Fashioned, cuz I don't serve it up.

My version of the Toronto Cocktail:

2oz Baby Saz

.75oz Simple

.5oz Fernet Branca

Angostura

Regan's Orange Bitters

Stir, strain, garnish with flamed orange peel, rub peel on rim of the glass

Serve over one big rock, final quick stir to distribute orange oil.

It's like a Toronto meets the Old Fashioned, cuz I don't serve it up.

Just made it HC2K. Great cocktail. Not sure I did the flamed orange peel correctly, but who cares. I am really enjoying this.

:toast:

After flying from LA yesterday and back to Atlanta today, I'm unwinding with a Manhattan made with Holeman & Finch 100 pf HW Rendezvous, Bokers bitters, and Cocchi vermouth.

Moved on to a Cameron's Kick. 1 oz Blended Scotch (i'm using Great King Street NY Blend); 1 oz Irish Whiskey (I'm using Redbreast 12); 0.5 oz Orgeat; 0.5 oz Lemon Juice. Sounds crazy but it works. Fantastic cocktail.

Moved on to a Cameron's Kick. 1 oz Blended Scotch (i'm using Great King Street NY Blend); 1 oz Irish Whiskey (I'm using Redbreast 12); 0.5 oz Orgeat; 0.5 oz Lemon Juice. Sounds crazy but it works. Fantastic cocktail.

Please tell me you're using homemade orgeat with those well-to-do whisk(e)ys. Also, a Cameron's Kick is a beautifully strange concoction.

You guys are really into this . . . I just had a Manhattan with lunch made with Barton Cinzano and Fee Bros bitters.

Just had a manhattan made with Seagrams 7 and I am now very sure that Seagrams 7 is the worst whiskey I've ever tasted. Got the bottle as a gift and thought it'd be good enough to mix but it's really putrid.

One part Barton, 1/2 each of triple sec and lemon juice, two parts ginger ale, don't follow the different names given cocktails, just mix what tastes good.

Manhattan made with 2 oz larceny, 1 oz cocchi vermouth, .5 oz calvados, bokers bitters, and a luxardo cherry. I liked the calvados in it.

Manhattan made with 2 oz larceny, 1 oz cocchi vermouth, .5 oz calvados, bokers bitters, and a luxardo cherry. I liked the calvados in it.

Larceny makes a great Manhattan. haven't added calvados before in a long time, thanks for the reminder to revisit.

Last night had a Diamondback cocktail made from Smooth Ambler Rye.

Last evening, I made up a cocktail and it turned out to be very good. A jigger of Appleton Jamaican rum, a few dashes of Angosture bitters, and a splash of triple sec.

Tim

Bourbon based cocktail using two parts Barton, two parts orange juice, 1/2 part Ameritto, splash of Grenadine.

You guys are really into this . . . I just had a Manhattan with lunch made with Barton Cinzano and Fee Bros bitters.

Cocktail-making is serious business.

Many worthy cocktails recently, with a simple standout that holds appea for the SB crowd being the Old Pal. 2 pts rye, 1 pt Campari, 1 pt dry vermouth. Its cousin, the Boulevardier, substitutes bourbon for rye and sweet for dry. Sweeter, richer, fuller. Both worth giving a shot.

Out for dinner last night at the Iberian Pig and tried several house cocktails featuring rye and bourbon.

post-8493-1448981857287_thumb.jpg

The first was called North Park Square with bourbon, sweet vermouth, honey syrup, black tea bitters with a lemon twist. Tasty, a bit on the dry side with a hint of bitterness perhaps because of the black tea bitters.

Next was the house old fashioned with bacon infused rye, maple syrup and angostura bitters.

But my favorite, and I admit to having a sweet tooth, was their variation on the Gramercy variation of the Spanish Harlem found in the Kindred Cocktail library. In addition to replacing the vermouth with PX sherry they also replaced the Maraschino liqueur with Averna.

1.5 bourbon, 1 Averna, 0.5 PX sherry (they were using Gonzalez Byass Nectar PX Sherry, very rich and plummy sweet) and angostura bitters garnished with three cherries (which got eaten before I could take a picture!).

A most pleasing drink to me!

Man, a LOT of good cocktail recommendations here....! I had my style of Sazerac cocktail last night. Ron Zacapa XO rum in place of Sugar, the rye was a mixture of early 90's Turkey Rye, 08 Handy, and 08 saz 18. added several dashes of angostura bitters.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!