What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Winter 2013?

Alphanumeric
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night I had a manhattan at Fleming's made with Vya vermouth. MAN have I been missing out on manhattans. The first couple I had, I hated (years ago). The one last night was absolutely delicious. I'm having another one right now with Rittenhouse BIB.

My luncheon cocktail was made of one ounce Barton, one half ounce peach liqueur, two ounces orange juice and splash of grenadine.

It was, actually, so much in fact I'm having another just like it today, which for me may be the start of a trend.

My luncheon cocktail was made of one ounce Barton, one half ounce peach liqueur, two ounces orange juice and splash of grenadine.

A simple sour before dinner.

The remnants of VRO HH, juice of 1 lemon, and a glub of simple syrup.

A quick shake with ice, and pour into glass of choice.

Perfect pre dinner drink.

B

Planning on some Baltimore Bangs for the game tonight. One of my favorite bourbon cocktails:

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2011/01/14/baltimore-bang/

1 1/2 oz bourbon

3/4 oz lemon juice

1/2 oz apricot brandy

1/4 oz simple syrup

Twist of orange peel, for garnish

What are you using for the apricot brandy? I usually use Marie Brizzard Apry since true apricot brandy like Barack Palinka tends to be hard to come by and is generally not as sweet as what is typically in the usual apricot mixers. But the MB is pretty decent.

I've come into a cache of nice lemons, so I've been focusing on using those up. One of my favorites is the 20th Century, using gin, Tempus Fugit Kina Avion D'or, lemon juice, and Creme de Cacao. Somehow the chocolate and lemon flavors interplay very nicely while distinguishing themselves. The Kina makes the lemon "pop" nicely.

There is also a variation on the classic Last Word cocktail that I've heard called "The Final Ward." This uses rye instead of gin, lemon juice instead of lime, and the same Chartreuse and maraschino. All equal proportions.

I whipped up some homemade orgeat syrup last week using a recipe I found online. I've been making a nice Army Navy cocktail with this. Gin, lemon, orgeat, and some aromatic bitters, usually Angostura. I wouldn't bother making this with off the shelf orgeat, as it lacks the depth of flavor and texture of the homemade stuff.

Finally, I like the way they make an Aviation at one of my local bars, but I keep tweaking it and can't get it to taste as delicious.

All of these have really perfected my cutting of nicely curled lemon twists. I'm like a lemon surgeon now!

What are you using for the apricot brandy? I usually use Marie Brizzard Apry since true apricot brandy like Barack Palinka tends to be hard to come by and is generally not as sweet as what is typically in the usual apricot mixers. But the MB is pretty decent.

I can tell you with 100% certainty, since I work in Bawlmore, that less than 0.1% of the city residents have heard of apricot brandy. It's not a criticism - I can't choke down the stuff myself - but putting the name "Baltimore" in a drink invites speculation as to how representative it is.

Rothman and Winter Orchard Apricot - but I do believe Apry is very similar in profile. I think it is rare for cocktails to call for dry apricot brandy (like an eau de vie - Blume Marillen is an example, from Haus Alpenz who also imports the Rothman and Winter stuff), but like anything there are exceptions.

Yes, they are fairly similar although perhaps the R&W is a bit less sweet. The Apry tends to be easier to find for me although I see the R&W Orchard Apricot around more lately. I have been told that Giffard Abricot du Roussillon is even better but have never had a chance to try it.

I have found the Blume Marillen hard to use as well. Too delicate for most cocktails and too expensive to experiment with! Pretty much just drink it as an apertif or digestif now and again and not likely to replace it when it is gone.

Another Manhattan -- I've been on a month-long tear with them -- this time made with Angel's Envy, Cocchi, and Bokers bitters. The Angel's Envy works pretty well, though not as good as Larceny.

Not really a cocktail, but I've been enjoying Bloody Mary's for the past few weeks. Made with Tanqueray gin and Old Bay seasoning, among the other usual ingredients.

Tim

My wife bought a couple of large jugs of "Simply Limeade" for a party and didn't use it. With the warm weather we've been having in Houston, I've put it to good use in a type of Sour.

2 oz bourbon

4 oz Simply Limeade

6 dashes of Fee's Orange Bitters

A bit of agave syrup

Ice

Add the agave to get the level of sweetness you're looking for...or none at all for a tart drink.

Bourbon and limeade, hmm, some possibilities there. I've usually made Bourbon cocktails with orange or lemon juice and saved lime for rum but there's no reason to limit myself.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!