What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Winter 2013?

Alphanumeric
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sounds good, David. I enjoy Vieux Carre's. I don't have Benedictine, either. But, I use B&B. I'm going to make me one now!

:toast:

Yummy! :yum: Equal parts Baby Saz and Pierre Ferrand Cognac. 1/2 part Vya Vermouth. Dollop of B&B. Shake of Angostura and Peychauds. On the rocks. :yum:

Yummy! :yum: Equal parts Baby Saz and Pierre Ferrand Cognac. 1/2 part Vya Vermouth. Dollop of B&B. Shake of Angostura and Peychauds. On the rocks. :yum:

Just add 2 parts sand and 1 part cement and you can re-pave your driveway.:rolleyes:

Joe :usflag:

Just add 2 parts sand and 1 part cement and you can re-pave your driveway.:rolleyes:

Joe :usflag:

Well, good morning, Sunshine!

Made a nice manhattan with the last of my Willett 4 yr rye. Loved this rye in manhattans but in the high 30's around here, doubt I'll re-buy as I didn't dig it on its own.

Made a nice manhattan with the last of my Willett 4 yr rye. Loved this rye in manhattans but in the high 30's around here, doubt I'll re-buy as I didn't dig it on its own.

I bought the Willett 4yr rye yesterday in S. jersey for $32 with sipping in mind... Also, picked up some Jeffersons rye for upgraded manhattans. Maybe I'll end up switching purposes for the two. Looking forward to trying em both.

I bought the Willett 4yr rye yesterday in S. jersey for $32 with sipping in mind... Also, picked up some Jeffersons rye for upgraded manhattans. Maybe I'll end up switching purposes for the two. Looking forward to trying em both.

A Bourbon based cocktail using one ounce Barton, half ounce each triple sec, amaretto and lime juice.

Sounds interesting Squire...I might have to try this one

I need a good, female-friendly, cocktail that I can serve for a small get together in the near future. Anyone have any thoughts?

(added by edit - I know this is the bourbon section, but if there's a non-bourbon cocktail that you would include please throw it on here)

Edited by jcg9779

I need a good, female-friendly, cocktail that I can serve for a small get together in the near future. Anyone have any thoughts?

(added by edit - I know this is the bourbon section, but if there's a non-bourbon cocktail that you would include please throw it on here)

What, are you expecting Jimmy? :lol:

Bubble Gum vodka over ice with a squeeze of lime. Done!

Putting the Bubble Gum vodka aside for the moment my typical default spirit to entice newbies to the brown side is rum. Tiki drinks which can in some cases be a bit on the sweeter side can make a persuasive option. Mai Tai's and the like.

One Tiki option is a variation on a classic Sidecar (a traditional sour style cocktail) using rum called the Outrigger. It has the added bonus of being pretty simple.

2 oz aged rum (ED12 or 15 work nicely. Mount Gay XO is another option. Could also try Zacapa if you really want to go sweet. This is a cocktail where a good aged rum is really called for)

1 oz Cointreau (I suggest sticking with the original here or a good quality substitute like Marie Brizzard or Combier)

1/2 oz lemon juice (replacing the lime juice in a Sidecar)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

If you need it to be sweeter adjust the Cointreau up. For less sweet use less Cointreau or more lemon juice.

When I read the post my first thought was rum which I find to be more versatile than vodka. I would sleuth out the young lady's taste (does she like cherry limeade?) and mix up something accordingly using no more than one ounce of 80 proof liquor unless you're sure her tolerance level is higher.

When I read the post my first thought was rum which I find to be more versatile than vodka. I would sleuth out the young lady's taste (does she like cherry limeade?) and mix up something accordingly using no more than one ounce of 80 proof liquor unless you're sure her tolerance level is higher.

I'll bet you that back-in-the-day Squire, you weren't as interested that she stay under her tolerance level. ;)

Look no further... Ladies love St Germain:

1.5 oz. Vodka

.75 oz. St-Germain

1.5 oz. fresh squeezed ruby red grapefruit juice

2 dashes Peychauds bitters

Squeeze of lime

Interested to hear if your experience is similar to mine with the Willett. Be sure to post your thoughts on it neat and in a manhattan.

Very similar experience, Jersey. The Willett makes for an outstanding manhattan, perfect integration. Poured neat it was decent, but not my preferred profile -- a little on the briny and piney side, whereas I prefer baking spices.

Trying something new tonight . . . the "Newark" out of the PDT cocktail book: 2 oz. apple brandy (using Calvados), 1 oz. sweet vermouth (Dolin), .25 oz Fernet Branca, .25 Maraschino Liqueur (Luxardo). It's really good, but I'm thinking it would have been better with bourbon or rye rather than the Calvados. The apple is the dominant flavor.

Trying something new tonight . . . the "Newark" out of the PDT cocktail book: 2 oz. apple brandy (using Calvados), 1 oz. sweet vermouth (Dolin), .25 oz Fernet Branca, .25 Maraschino Liqueur (Luxardo). It's really good, but I'm thinking it would have been better with bourbon or rye rather than the Calvados. The apple is the dominant flavor.

I bet that'd be awesome with Apple Brandy like Laird's, instead of Calvados?

Mojito - Use rum to be easy, cachaca if you're feeling frisky.

Tom Collins - if your chicks dig gin.

Bourbon For Chicks - Boston/Whiskey Sour - AKA - The Best Chick Drink Ever.

2oz Buffalo Trace

1oz Fresh Lemon Juice

1oz Simple Syrup

1 egg white

shake vigorously without ice to emulsify the egg, add ice, shake again, strain into a prechilled glass.

Flame Orange Peel.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!