What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Winter 2013?

Alphanumeric
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was intrigued with the idea of Bourbon and lime juice which led to this:

1 oz Grand Dad BIB

1/2 oz triple sec

2 oz Minute Maid cherry limeade

The sweetness of the triple sec offsets the tartness of the cherry limeade very nicely.

Something I came across online called the Fire Cherry Cocktail. 3 oz. EC 12, 0.5 Maraschino Liqueur, 0.25 Port, 0.25 Campari, 2 dashes Bokers bitters. I strained over a big cube.

Something I came across online called the Fire Cherry Cocktail. 3 oz. EC 12, 0.5 Maraschino Liqueur, 0.25 Port, 0.25 Campari, 2 dashes Bokers bitters. I strained over a big cube.

Sounds real good. How would you describe the flavor of Luxardo Maraschino? I understand it doesn't taste like cherries, exactly. Been tempted to buy a bottle, but I can't seem to get a sense for what it tastes like.

Sounds real good. How would you describe the flavor of Luxardo Maraschino? I understand it doesn't taste like cherries, exactly. Been tempted to buy a bottle, but I can't seem to get a sense for what it tastes like.

Luncheon treat:

1 oz Mellow Corn

.5 oz triple sec

2 oz orange juice

dash grenadine

It's a little hard to describe, especially since I haven't tasted it much on its own. It is very viscous but not overly sweet. I do get some cherry flavor in it, but it is also has some herbal notes.

That's helpful, Dave. Passed on it today because it's $27 in PA. I've seen it in NJ for closer to $22, so I'll hold out a little while longer.

I did manage to buy a fresh bottle of Antica. Wish PA carried Dolin for some variety.

The Improved Whiskey Cocktail: 2 oz. WT Rye 101, 0.25 Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur, 0.25 Simple Syrup, 2 dashes Angostura bitters. Strained over large cube in absinthe rinsed rocks glass.

The Improved Whiskey Cocktail: 2 oz. WT Rye 101, 0.25 Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur, 0.25 Simple Syrup, 2 dashes Angostura bitters. Strained over large cube in absinthe rinsed rocks glass.

OK, bought some Luxardo today... and made this so-called "Improved Whiskey Cocktail"... and I must say, real nice.

Also, grabbed some Dolin varieties and made an adapted boulevardier (EC12, Dolin sweet, Campari, luxardo).

Thanks for the inspiration, Dave!

Sort of like a cross between an old fashioned and a Sazerac, isn't it? Glad I could inspire you to pick up the Luxardo.

Sort of like a cross between an old fashioned and a Sazerac, isn't it? Glad I could inspire you to pick up the Luxardo.

Yeah, that's a good way of putting it. The absinthe rinse (I used herbsaint) added a nice aromatic quality without strongly influencing the flavor. Next time (read, any moment) I'll try with some orange bitters. Picked up some Bitter Truth brand bitters that I'm eager to put to use.

trying my mioxology skills with so so results. have had similar cocktails, but with something sweet, like thyme simple syrup and walnut bitters.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

IMG_20130310_171648_384_zpsea09e934.jpg

IMG_20130310_172736_018-1_zps9b2110e2.jpg

Manhattan variation, 2:1 + 2 dashes:

EC12

Dolin Blanc (not dry)

Bitter Truth Orange Bitters

Very elegant, very drinkable.

The only cocktail I drink is a summer one, very refreshing.

Tall glass, rocks, 2-3 oz. anejo tequila, splash of lemon juice, 2-3 dashes Angostura bitters, fill glass with Sierra Mist.

Here's the problem I see with those ingredients - you lack a sweetener. Solerno is not sweet and is pretty light in flavor, Averna is a MONSTER of an Amaro.....and orange bitters will get drowned by Averna completely.

Here's what I'd do, if I were you:

2oz Whistlepig

.75oz Simple

.5oz Averna

.25oz Solerno

Angostura, NOT Orange Bitters

Stir with ice, strain, serve over one big cube in a chilled glass

Garnish - 1/4 of an entire lemon's peel....go BIG on garnish to help fight the Averna trying to take over.

I bet that'll be rad.

Please report back, I'm putting $100 on black on this one.

My winter weather Saturday night usual a CC Manhattan.

In a LARGE rock glass: 2 dashes Angostura bitters, 1 Silver Palate Maraschino cherry w/ a small amount of the juice, add plenty of ice cubes & fill with Canadian Club whiskey. Add a floater of Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth, gently swirl. My favorite cocktail, I have tried variations using Rittenhouse BIB 100 proof as well as Dolin Sweet Vermouth, all have their attributes but I keep returning to my old stand by. For the record I find bourbon Manhattans just too sweet, & I never acquired a taste for Rob Roys either. The vermouth I store in the fridge after opening, otherwise I find it will degrade over time.

Reading this thread has spurred me on to try something, and it turned out great.

1 part Grand Marnier, 2 parts Laphroaig Triple Wood, 3 parts Marie Duffau Napolean Armagnac, 2-3 dashes Angostura Bitters.

Shake with two ice cubes to chill and serve. The rich, smokey, citrus sweetness has to be tasted to be appreciated. Sounds wild, tastes great!

Calling it a week, so sittin' out back enjoying sunny skies and 75 degree temps with a gin& tonic. Leopold's gin, Q Tonic Water, and a healthy sized and squeezed silly chunk 'o lime. All over a heap 'o ice, in a big 'o tumbler. The concoction is delicious with loads 'o cool dryness. Yummy 'o!

Calling it a week, so sittin' out back enjoying sunny skies and 75 degree temps with a gin& tonic. Leopold's gin, Q Tonic Water, and a healthy sized and squeezed silly chunk 'o lime. All over a heap 'o ice, in a big 'o tumbler. The concoction is delicious with loads 'o cool dryness. Yummy 'o!

Just finished 5:1 manhattan with OGD BiB. While I usually prefer my manhattans with rye, OGD is probably my favorite for bourbon based ones.

Grand Dad is my favorite Manhattan Bourbon as well jersey.

Squire, didn't know you we're a fan of OGD, haha!

But seriously, a wonderful cocktail that I may have to do again tomorrow.

Last night I was test driving one of the planned cocktails for my St. Patty's gathering this evening.

Wilde Heart

1.5 Black Bush

0.75 Amaro CioCiaro

0.25 Cherry Heering

Stir with ice, strain and serve up.

A pretty heavy hitter as a cocktail with the pleasant sweet fullness from the BB and a slight bitter edge to help balance it from the amaro. The Cherry Heering kind of gets lost in the middle but is no doubt an important addition to help maintain the proper balance.

Definitely one to keep in mind going forward.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!