What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Winter 2013?

Alphanumeric
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Throw in a small amount of Aperol, instead of the bitters. Are you shaking it, or stirring it, or just building it? I recommend stirring this particular combo.

Throw in a small amount of Aperol, instead of the bitters. Are you shaking it, or stirring it, or just building it? I recommend stirring this particular combo.

Just building it, at the moment but stirring would be the way to go to chill it. Aperol, hmm? Not familiar with it but I see it's on sale down at Surdyk's.

Aperol is an Italian bitter aperitif that is a somewhat less bold version of the much more famous Campari. They are in fact made by the same company.

I was informed that a cocktail I have never been able to make to my satisfaction, the Blood and Sand, won't work without fresh blood oranges. This information turned out to be quite accurate. Time to stock up on blood oranges and start experimenting!

This afternoon's cocktail was one I had never tried before, the Negroni. 1 oz Tanqueray gin, 1 oz Campari, and 1 oz red vermouth, on the rocks in a tall glass. Very tasty!

Tim

Out to dinner tonight I had a "Noir Manhattan". It was made with Maker’s 46, Carpana Antica Vermouth,Noval Black, Barrel Aged Bitters.

I believe the Noval Black is a port, but I am not sure it added anything. All in all it was nice to try something different.

Yeah, Noval is a port, do they give out the recipe?

I never really thought to ask, but I will next time I go there to eat. It did not really impress me to the point that I thought I would try to recreate it at home.

Made a few Boulevardiers the past two days. Is this going to be the old fashion of 2013?

Made a few Boulevardiers the past two days. Is this going to be the old fashion of 2013?

The Boulevardier has been generating some recent discussion on another board and this variation (and it is a big variation) seems to be popular. I haven't had a chance to try it myself yet but intend to soon!

Boulevardier Riff

by Fred Sarkis, Sable Kitchen & Bar, Chicago, IL

1 1/2 oz Bourbon, WL Weller

3/4 oz Cynar

3/4 oz Bonal Gentiane Quina

1 pinch Salt (small amount)

2 dash Orange bitters

Stir, strain, straight up, cocktail glass

The Left Hand and the 1794 variations also had some fans. I will get to them eventually!

Cool, Ill have one sunday when I'm at Sable for dinner!

The Boulevardier has been generating some recent discussion on another board and this variation (and it is a big variation) seems to be popular. I haven't had a chance to try it myself yet but intend to soon!

Boulevardier Riff

by Fred Sarkis, Sable Kitchen & Bar, Chicago, IL

1 1/2 oz Bourbon, WL Weller

3/4 oz Cynar

3/4 oz Bonal Gentiane Quina

1 pinch Salt (small amount)

2 dash Orange bitters

Stir, strain, straight up, cocktail glass

The Left Hand and the 1794 variations also had some fans. I will get to them eventually!

That Left Hand sounds good.

I vary my Boulevardier by adding Luxardo Maraschino. Tried that, with orange bitters, but found it too bitter.

3-1-1...just like TSA.

that's how I remember the proportions. 3 parts bourbon, 1 part sweet vermouth, 1 part Cherry Grand Marnier. a few dashes orange bitters.

In this case, George T Stagg (!!), Noilly Prat, Angostura

Big round ice cube--figured it'd help with the GTS

IMG_20130330_155937_646-1_zps00046ab3.jpg

Still working on Manhattan recipes, I know, what I've posted before may be a drink called by another name but I think more in terms of proportion.

1 oz Barton

.25 oz Eristoff (a sloe-rasberry infused spirit)

.25 oz Amaretto

1 oz ginger ale (optional)

Shake with cracked ice and serve chilled

No idea if that particular bartender is still there but if so will be curious to hear what you think of it.

Well I had one Fred wasn't working, I am not sure if he still works there. But the classic Boulevardier was executed with perfection. I really need to up my game on that drink.

I also had it with grandad bonded I prefer high rye bourbon for my bourbon cocktails

I also had it with grandad bonded I prefer high rye bourbon for my bourbon cocktails

You had a classic or the riff noted above? Or both?

Luncheon cocktail:

1 oz Barton

.25 oz each amaretto and Eristof

1 oz ginger ale

You had a classic or the riff noted above? Or both?
It was the classic I couldn't find the riff in the menu and didn't want to bother the mixologist more than I must those guys are always busy.

They're busy because we are paying them, our requests are not intrusions.

Being a professional bartender, I am empathetic to their situation, I am unwilling to take up someones time with questions when they could be making money on another customer. They are my equal, not my servant.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!