What Cocktail Are You Enjoying Winter 2013?

Alphanumeric
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sorry to hear you didn't get a chance to try it.

I'm not a bartender (although I know many). I would probably have asked but knowing they are busy I would be willing to let them do it in their own time. Most have been willing to accomodate me. In fact most seem to appreciate someone looking for something a bit different. Especially in a place that makes its name as a place for good cocktails.

Tried this one at Perestroika @ Pravda in New Orleans on Easter, and was easy enough to recreate at home. It's less boozy than a Negroni or Boulevardier, with a little more savory and less bitter than those two. Nice recipe:

1.5 oz Cocci Americano (I subbed Kina Avion D'Or)

1 oz Bols Genever

.75 oz Campari

Barspoon of cinnamon syrup

10 drops of Regan's Orange bitters

Stirred, strained into chilled coupe.

Had myself a Nor'Easter that was very tasty-

• 1 ½ ounces Old Crow bourbon, or any bourbon of your choice
  • ½ ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
  • ½ ounce pure maple syrup
  • 1 ½ ounces ginger beer (if you’re a Brooklynite, Stinky has a great one)
  • 1 lime slice, for garnish

In a cocktail shaker, combine the bourbon, lime juice, and maple syrup with ice cubes. Shake vigorously. Strain into a rocks glass filled with ice. Top with ginger beer and garnish with the lime.

My wife's sister is in town and has requested amaretto sours tonight. I'm out of simple syrup at the moment-- wondering if I use lemon juice and triple sec if that will work? Or maybe a little fresh orange juice to balance the lemon? What do you guys think?

My wife's sister is in town and has requested amaretto sours tonight. I'm out of simple syrup at the moment-- wondering if I use lemon juice and triple sec if that will work? Or maybe a little fresh orange juice to balance the lemon? What do you guys think?

Simple syrup is pretty easy to make. I would avoid orange juice as it can take over a drink pretty quickly and I don't think it would work here.

Not something I drink often but this recipe from Jeffrey Morgenthaler ain't half bad.

1½ oz amaretto (He uses Lazzaroni amaretto, but DiSaronno works)

¾ oz cask-proof bourbon (He specifies Booker’s, but OGD 114 or other higher proof bourbon would work)

1 oz lemon juice

1 tsp. 2:1 rich simple syrup

½ oz egg white, beaten (I like egg white drinks but not everyone does. I use pasteurized egg white rather than waste whole eggs. I suppose you could leave it out)

Dry shake ingredients to combine, then shake well with cracked ice. Strain over fresh ice in an old fashioned glass. Garnish with lemon peel and brandied cherries, if desired.

Simple syrup is pretty easy to make. I would avoid orange juice as it can take over a drink pretty quickly and I don't think it would work here.

Hmm. I don't recall the name of it at the moment but there is an amaretto sour variation that calls for orange juice specifically.

I actually saw the Morgenthaler recipe and I think I will give it a try. I don't know exactly what my sis-in-law expects from an amaretto sour (she may be thinking amaretto and 7-up for all I know) so I'm trying to keep my options open. She and her husband had a pretty crappy month and I think they may be planning to tie one on tonight.

Hmm. I don't recall the name of it at the moment but there is an amaretto sour variation that calls for orange juice specifically.

I actually saw the Morgenthaler recipe and I think I will give it a try. I don't know exactly what my sis-in-law expects from an amaretto sour (she may be thinking amaretto and 7-up for all I know) so I'm trying to keep my options open. She and her husband had a pretty crappy month and I think they may be planning to tie one on tonight.

Could be. Not a drink that is a staple in my house but I have had the Morgenthaler recipe and thought it pretty decent.

I see something called an Amaretto Stone Sour with OJ but it calls for sweet and sour mix instead of simple and lemon juice.

Well, amaretto sours were quite a hit. Standard recipe: 1.5 oz DiSaronno, 1 oz simple syrup (1:1), .75 oz fresh lemon, and egg white. They'd never experienced egg white in cocktails before. We also tried amaretto sunsets: 1.5 oz DiSaronno, 4 oz orange juice, .75 oz grenadine, and .75 oz El Dorado 12 year old rum (my own variation). Good but too sweet. Maybe one of you could recommend an aperitif liquer to balance out the sweetness. I triec Angostura bitters but I din't care for it.

That was just the guests. I had an OGD 114 old fashioned, an amaretto/rye topped with ginger ale, a bourbon sour (current Old Fitz bonded , with egg white) and what I guess would be a rye Godfather: Ritt BiB and DiSaronno over a couple ice cubes. Night cap while washing up was VOHH 8/86.

A good night. I think I brought a little happiness into their lives.

I think I'll call it a "Avernade"

in a pint glass with ice

Juice of 1 lemon

Healthy glug to glug and a half of simple syrup-depending on how much juice you got from the lemon.

1 1/2 oz Averna-or other bitters of choice.

Top with water to top of glass

Stir

It's slightly reminds me of a Arnold Palmer-half lemonade and tea, you get the lemonade sweet tartness, and the Averna helps to contribute a tea like, tannic, bitter quality, I'm a fan of some strong brewed tea in the summer-sweetened of course.

It would be perfect on a much hotter day than it is now here, but it is doing nicely to remind me of what is around the corner weather wise.

B

I bought some grapefruit bitters and they are making my Manhattans pop! So I've been drinking Manhattans all weekend. Been rotating the bourbon between AA10yo, EWSB, and just had one with Handy. All good!

PS time for a new thread

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!